evidence for Christianity before the third Roman Jewish conflict

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
avi

Re: evidence for Christianity before the third Roman Jewish

Post by avi »

Peter Kirby wrote:I also look forward to any more exact citation and context for the quotation attributed here to Epictetus.
http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html

Sorry, my fault...

Context:
It is unclear to me whether or not this work genuinely represents a composition by Epictetus, or if it is instead the work of Arrian.

It appears to be a collection of homilies, sayings, and advice. Here is the entire passage, #50, for context.
Epictetus/Arrian wrote:Whatever moral rules you have deliberately proposed to yourself. abide by them as they were laws, and as if you would be guilty of impiety by violating any of them. Don't regard what anyone says of you, for this, after all, is no concern of yours. How long, then, will you put off thinking yourself worthy of the highest improvements and follow the distinctions of reason? You have received the philosophical theorems, with which you ought to be familiar, and you have been familiar with them. What other master, then, do you wait for, to throw upon that the delay of reforming yourself? You are no longer a boy, but a grown man. If, therefore, you will be negligent and slothful, and always add procrastination to procrastination, purpose to purpose, and fix day after day in which you will attend to yourself, you will insensibly continue without proficiency, and, living and dying, persevere in being one of the vulgar. This instant, then, think yourself worthy of living as a man grown up, and a proficient. Let whatever appears to be the best be to you an inviolable law. And if any instance of pain or pleasure, or glory or disgrace, is set before you, remember that now is the combat, now the Olympiad comes on, nor can it be put off. By once being defeated and giving way, proficiency is lost, or by the contrary preserved. Thus Socrates became perfect, improving himself by everything. attending to nothing but reason. And though you are not yet a Socrates, you ought, however, to live as one desirous of becoming a Socrates.
Wikipedia wrote:Another significant work by Arrian is the Encheiridion (“Manual”), a manual of the teachings of Epictetus, the Stoic philosopher whose disciple Arrian was. This work was much used in the Middle Ages as a guide to the principles of the monastic life.
Thus, the idea that the "Galileans" mentioned by Julian, and supposedly cited by Epictetus (I still haven't located that source), represent Christians, is coming from monasteries in the middle ages. Does Julian cite Epictetus? Does any other Roman Historian, besides Arrian, describe second, third or fourth century "Galileans"? Who is the first to link Galileans to "Christians"? Do the Persians comment on these Galileans, during their reign over Jerusalem, i.e. before, during, and after the Baghdad emigration/destruction of the first temple? I have certainly not uncovered any reference to Jesus or his followers in the writings of Epictetus/Arrian. Maybe I simply have not read enough, yet!!!
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

avi wrote:....cited by Epictetus (I still haven't located that source)
Dissertations 4.7.6
avi wrote:Who is the first to link Galileans to "Christians"?

Emperor Julian c.361 CE
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Duvduv

Post by Duvduv »

There are significant problems with this assertion, since there is no empirical evidence that the book was actually written by Julian. Furthermore, as I pointed out in relation to the CONTENT, there is reason to suspect that the book originated as a COMPOSITE work, and not a single unified text.
dewitness

Post by dewitness »

Duvduv wrote:There are significant problems with this assertion, since there is no empirical evidence that the book was actually written by Julian. Furthermore, as I pointed out in relation to the CONTENT, there is reason to suspect that the book originated as a COMPOSITE work, and not a single unified text.
You have not ever presented any evidence for your assertions "the book originated as a COMPOSITE work, and not a single unified text"

Julian's Against the Galileans
It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the Galilaeans is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth...
Who wrote the introductory passage?

Please, identify the composite texts.
Duvduv

Post by Duvduv »

I have already suggested the content of the book as a composite in terms. Please go back and look at that posting.
dewitness

Post by dewitness »

Duvduv wrote:I have already suggested the content of the book as a composite in terms. Please go back and look at that posting.
You still need to identify the parts that are composites. Who would write books giving the reasons why the stories of Jesus are childish monstrous fables?

The 4th century Church??
Duvduv

Post by Duvduv »

As a back handed way of directing attention to the idea of an old tradition rather than a later one. With the approach of "See, even the haters of christianity accept its origins going back long ago before Constantine."
dewitness

Post by dewitness »

Duvduv wrote:As a back handed way of directing attention to the idea of an old tradition rather than a later one. With the approach of "See, even the haters of christianity accept its origins going back long ago before Constantine."
Your suggestion makes very little sense.

If, as you imply, there was no actual Jesus cult until Constantine then "Against the Galileans" would only help to cast doubt on their history or confirm that the stories of the Galileans were monstrous childish fables with nothing divine.

In "Against the Galileans", the author challenged anyone to show that well-known writers mentioned Jesus and Paul.

If there was no actual Jesus cult in the 1st century almost immediately people who had access to the works of 1st century writers and historians would realize that the Jesus cult had no history.

Julian's Against the Galileans"
...But if you can show me that one of these men is mentioned by the well-known writers of that time,----these events happened in the reign of Tiberius or Claudius,----then you may consider that I speak falsely about all matters.
MrMacSon

Re: Hadrian and the Christians

Post by MrMacSon »

Peter Kirby wrote:
avi wrote:There is no evidence for the existence of any Christian writings or beliefs, prior to the conclusion of the third Roman Jewish conflict,
No, you're wrong. There is Tacitus, Suetonius, and Pliny the Younger, all writing before the Bar Kokhba conflict, which would attest to the existence of Christian beliefs in that era even if all the Christian writers were lost to history. http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... p=460#p460
There are some interesting comments by Livia Capponi about the earlier Diaspora Revolt in Hadrian and the Christians edited by Mark Rizzi
    • Rizzi p.JPG
      Rizzi p.JPG (85.73 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
      Rizzi p 122.JPG
      Rizzi p 122.JPG (61.37 KiB) Viewed 11526 times
    I'm intrigued by the statements that
    • "When the Jews lost in battle, the Greeks offered scarifices to the gods"
      and, "when the revolt was suppressed, they instituted an annual memorial".
MrMacSon

Re: Hadrian and the Christians

Post by MrMacSon »

MrMacSon wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:
avi wrote:There is no evidence for the existence of any Christian writings or beliefs, prior to the conclusion of the third Roman Jewish conflict,
No, you're wrong. There is Tacitus, Suetonius, and Pliny the Younger, all writing before the Bar Kokhba conflict, which would attest to the existence of Christian beliefs in that era even if all the Christian writers were lost to history. http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... p=460#p460
There are some interesting comments by Livia Capponi about the earlier Diaspora Revolt in Hadrian and the Christians edited by Mark Rizzi; pp 121-2
    • Rizzi p.JPG
      Rizzi p.JPG (85.73 KiB) Viewed 11525 times
      Rizzi p 122.JPG
      Rizzi p 122.JPG (61.37 KiB) Viewed 11525 times
    I'm intrigued by the statements
    • "When the Jews lost in battle, the Greeks offered scarifices to the gods"
      and, "when the revolt was suppressed, they instituted an annual memorial".