Did Jesus Historical Exist?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mastercleo

Did Jesus Historical Exist?

Post by mastercleo »

Not only do we not know who wrote them, consider that none of the Gospels existed during the alleged life of Jesus, nor do the unknown authors make the claim to have met an earthly Jesus. Add to this that none of the original gospel manuscripts exist; we only have copies of copies.

Thank You.!
Stephan Huller

Re: Did Jesus Historical Exist?

Post by Stephan Huller »

Brilliant. I can't wait to see what illuminating responses this initial post elicits.
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Stephan Huller wrote:Brilliant. I can't wait to see what illuminating responses this initial post elicits.

Same responses it always does.Guess it depends on weather or not you believe he was real or a fictional character made up to counter some other Jewish super hero.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=687
toejam

Post by toejam »

I lean towards the view that there was a historical figure. I think it's the most reasonable explanation as to how Christianity got started - the crucifixion of some Jewish cult leader whose 'story' started to get out of hand once some of his followers started thinking he had been raised from the dead. I think the standard 'Jesus Apocalyptic Prophet' model is the best historical reconstruction attempt on the market, but I don't think it makes the degree of 'probable'. Though I suspect there was a guy, trying to pin him down is an almost impossible task given the questionable nature of the evidence. But I would be surprised if it turned out there was no historical founder. I've yet to read a mythicist reconstruction attempt that is any more likely than the rather mundane idea that there was a guy.
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

I think it's allegory; a parable. A version of the then-Jewish focus on sacrifice & salvation. That grew out of various Jewish-Gnostic spiritual narratives/theology. To which a human form & person was added and blended.

I think the resurrection & post-resurrection appearance narratives are versions of propositions for the Second Coming.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Is anyone able to help with this idea of a second coming? What scriptures actually talk about that, do any just assert that he is coming? What scriptures and where? Have translators assumed it is a second time because that is the theology?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
toejam

Post by toejam »

My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
Blood

Post by Blood »

The Messiah must have existed. Religious writers would never make things up.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Clive

Post by Clive »

Precisely. Where does it say come again or something similar?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
toejam

Post by toejam »

^Well, it's implied in the references to Jesus having "died". So the belief went that Jesus had died, but he was to come again descending from heaven on the clouds to gather his elect...