The God Collectors of Galatia

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
robert j

The God Collectors of Galatia

Post by robert j »

Paul's Galatian congregation may have assembled a nice little trinity of their own --- incorporating new gods into their pantheon --- as their Celtic ancestors had done for centuries.

Reading Paul's letter to the Galatians through a twenty-first century lens, conditioned with centuries of ecclesiastic baggage, provides a biased view of the situation Paul faced.

Perhaps attempting to read the letter through the eyes of the congregation may help clarify the situation --- through the eyes of a Celtic people awash in the influences of the still recently opened, wider-world allowed by the Pax Romana.

In his letter to the Galatians, Paul takes a break from his literary assault on his circumciser competition to briefly address, in chapter 4, verses 8-11, what was apparently backsliding by some in his congregation into their traditional Celtic practices.

Many historians have noted the wide-spread practice of Celtic peoples to incorporate into their pantheons new gods they encounter. The religion of the polytheistic Celts was naturalistic and animistic, and was based on their own unique calendar and calendar cycles. They believed spirits inhabited not only humans, but also animals, plants, mountains, forests, rivers, other natural landscape features, the celestials bodies, and likely all other elements of their natural environment.

The animistic, spiritual nature of their religion was universal across the widely scattered populations of Celtic peoples, but their specific gods were typically of a local nature.

But what a nice little divine, nuclear family the Galatian congregation may have assembled.

It seems a pretty safe bet that the Galatian Celts, after they migrated into Asia Minor, incorporated into their pantheon the great Anatolian mother goddess of the indigenous Phyrigians. At the time of Paul, the great earth mother was most likely in the form of the goddess Cybele. The mother goddess likely enjoyed a favored position.

Paul's Galatians were enamored of the Jewish religion and of the greatest God of all --- that much is obvious from Paul's letter. When they might have first encountered the great God of the Jews is open to speculation, but by the time Paul wrote his letter, the favor of the Jewish God was of up-most importance to the congregation.

When Paul came along, he offered them a son, the son of the God of the Jews. A son that promised eternal life. A son that made their family of gods complete. A mother, a father and a son --- a tidy little trinity that was surely adequate to satisfy, for each of them, the needs of their own personal spirits.

Of course Paul didn’t see it that way.

robert j.
Clive

Re: The God Collectors of Galatia

Post by Clive »

That is definitely worth exploring. Do we have a real cause of Mary and the birth stories? Mary is the mother of God to many!
Mary becomes Mother of God: The year 431 A.D. was a momentous one in the history of the Queen of Heaven. That’s the year the church fathers, meeting in Ephesus in modern day Turkey, officially declared that Mary is Theotokos, literally, in Greek, the one who gave birth to God. More commonly her title is paraphrased as Mother of God. This was an important political step, as it clarified for the theologians that Jesus was both God and man. Perhaps just as importantly, however, it pacified the people, who were demanding that Mary be acknowledged as a divinity.

Technically, the church denied Mary as divine, as a Goddess, but in practical terms, it conveyed a sense of holiness which made her a viable rival to that other popular Roman/Greek/Egyptian hybrid Goddess of the time, represented variously as Diana, Cybele, and Isis.
http://thequeenofheaven.wordpress.com/2 ... came-mary/
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
robert j

Post by robert j »

I wrote the short essay in the OP with tongue just slightly in-cheek. After reading this short yet very informative article with the link below, I believe I can remove the tongue from my cheek entirely. Here’s an excerpt from near the end of the article providing significant support for my musings ---
“There is reason to suppose that Jewish influence in Asia Minor was then considerable. Judaism attracted both the enlightened Gentiles and the masses … Jewish customs became popular throughout the towns of Asia Minor. Josephus reports that the kindling of Sabbath lights was customary among Gentiles. Many attended synagogues on Sabbaths and festivals. A movement of worshipers of the Supreme God, "God fearers" (σεβόμενοι, φοβούμενοι τὸν θεόν) was very popular throughout Asia Minor, and many groups of pagans practiced the cult of the "Supreme God" without renouncing their own religions.”

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... 01496.html
In support of this, some archeological evidence points towards Diaspora Jews applying allegorical interpretations of their scriptures and adopting pagan symbolism, while still remaining good halachic Jews and maintaining a primary monotheistic worship of Yahweh (e.g. Goodenough, Jewish Symbols).

Here’s the quotation from Josephus about the events mentioned in the article about Antiochus III (ca. 241-187 BCE) relocating 2,000 Jewish families from Mesopotamia to the regions of Lydia and Phrygia in Asia Minor, and describing the generous grants and benefits to allow them to become well-established.
“Having been informed that a sedition is arisen in Lydia and Phrygia … it hath been thought proper to remove two thousand families of Jews, with their effects, out of Mesopotamia and Babylon … for I am persuaded that they will be well-disposed guardians of our possessions, because of their piety towards God … that thou remove these Jews, under a promise, that they shall be permitted to use their own laws. And when thou shalt have brought them to the places forementioned thou shalt give everyone of their families a place for building their houses, and a portion of the land for their husbandry, and for the plantation of their vines; and thou shalt discharge them from paying taxes of the fruits of the earth for ten years; and let them have a proper quantity of wheat for the maintenance of their servants, until they receive bread corn out of the earth; also let a sufficient share be given to such as minister to them in the necessaries of life …” (Josephus, Antiquities, XII, chapter 3.4 in this link ---)

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... ant12.html
That relocation effort could have brought as many as 6,000 to 12,000 Babylonian Jews to regions in Asia Minor.

Now to the Galatians. The ancient Lydian and Phrygian kingdoms had at various times dominated most areas of Asia Minor, along with Persian and Greek conquests. In the 3rd C. BCE, Celtic tribes migrated into areas once dominated by Phrygia. And from their tribal strongholds, these ethnic Celts --- called Galatians --- dominated many portions of Asia Minor over various periods. Celtic archeological sites and place names --- from prior to and during Paul’s times --- are common throughout much of Asia Minor.

By the time of Paul, well-established communities of Babylonian Jews were likely rubbing elbows with communities of ethnic Galatians and other pagan peoples over large portions of Asia Minor.

Though I prefer a Celtic ethnicity for Paul’s Galatians, a congregation of most any kind of former pagan Gentiles in the province of Galatia is compatible with my local solution for Paul’s opposition.

The letter to the Galatians does not provide any evidence that Paul’s opposition was from outside the area --- nor that they were even Christians. The lack of arguments in the letter over the existence or belief in a Jesus Christ provides the opportunity for many investigators to promote the standard-solution that the opponents were Jewish Christians.

But, IMO, another solution better fits the evidence --- a solution supported by the ethnic and religious history of the region. Paul’s extensive and complex arguments from the Jewish scriptures in the letter would have meant little to the Galatians unless they had an intimate familiarity with those scriptures. I suspect that before Paul came along, members of his congregation were god-fearers, or worshipping-ones, Gentles participating in Jewish activities, but not yet fully converted.

After Paul left, Jewish friends and neighbors of his converts likely had no problem with Paul’s salvific spirit --- a heavenly son of the Jewish god found in the Jewish scriptures by means of allegorical readings. But these Jews did object to claims that Paul’s Gentiles could be sons of Abraham and could be full participants with the god of Israel without the benefit of circumcision.

robert j
iskander

Post by iskander »

robert j wrote:I wrote the short essay in the OP with tongue just slightly in-cheek. After reading this short yet very informative article with the link below, I believe I can remove the tongue from my cheek entirely. Here’s an excerpt from near the end of the article providing significant support for my musings ---
“There is reason to suppose that Jewish influence in Asia Minor was then considerable. Judaism attracted both the enlightened Gentiles and the masses … Jewish customs became popular throughout the towns of Asia Minor. Josephus reports that the kindling of Sabbath lights was customary among Gentiles. Many attended synagogues on Sabbaths and festivals. A movement of worshipers of the Supreme God, "God fearers" (σεβόμενοι, φοβούμενοι τὸν θεόν) was very popular throughout Asia Minor, and many groups of pagans practiced the cult of the "Supreme God" without renouncing their own religions.”

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... 01496.html
In support of this, some archeological evidence points towards Diaspora Jews applying allegorical interpretations of their scriptures and adopting pagan symbolism, while still remaining good halachic Jews and maintaining a primary monotheistic worship of Yahweh (e.g. Goodenough, Jewish Symbols).

Here’s the quotation from Josephus about the events mentioned in the article about Antiochus III (ca. 241-187 BCE) relocating 2,000 Jewish families from Mesopotamia to the regions of Lydia and Phrygia in Asia Minor, and describing the generous grants and benefits to allow them to become well-established.
“Having been informed that a sedition is arisen in Lydia and Phrygia … it hath been thought proper to remove two thousand families of Jews, with their effects, out of Mesopotamia and Babylon … for I am persuaded that they will be well-disposed guardians of our possessions, because of their piety towards God … that thou remove these Jews, under a promise, that they shall be permitted to use their own laws. And when thou shalt have brought them to the places forementioned thou shalt give everyone of their families a place for building their houses, and a portion of the land for their husbandry, and for the plantation of their vines; and thou shalt discharge them from paying taxes of the fruits of the earth for ten years; and let them have a proper quantity of wheat for the maintenance of their servants, until they receive bread corn out of the earth; also let a sufficient share be given to such as minister to them in the necessaries of life …” (Josephus, Antiquities, XII, chapter 3.4 in this link ---)

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... ant12.html
That relocation effort could have brought as many as 6,000 to 12,000 Babylonian Jews to regions in Asia Minor.

Now to the Galatians. The ancient Lydian and Phrygian kingdoms had at various times dominated most areas of Asia Minor, along with Persian and Greek conquests. In the 3rd C. BCE, Celtic tribes migrated into areas once dominated by Phrygia. And from their tribal strongholds, these ethnic Celts --- called Galatians --- dominated many portions of Asia Minor over various periods. Celtic archeological sites and place names --- from prior to and during Paul’s times --- are common throughout much of Asia Minor.

By the time of Paul, well-established communities of Babylonian Jews were likely rubbing elbows with communities of ethnic Galatians and other pagan peoples over large portions of Asia Minor.

Though I prefer a Celtic ethnicity for Paul’s Galatians, a congregation of most any kind of former pagan Gentiles in the province of Galatia is compatible with my local solution for Paul’s opposition.

The letter to the Galatians does not provide any evidence that Paul’s opposition was from outside the area --- nor that they were even Christians. The lack of arguments in the letter over the existence or belief in a Jesus Christ provides the opportunity for many investigators to promote the standard-solution that the opponents were Jewish Christians.

But, IMO, another solution better fits the evidence --- a solution supported by the ethnic and religious history of the region. Paul’s extensive and complex arguments from the Jewish scriptures in the letter would have meant little to the Galatians unless they had an intimate familiarity with those scriptures. I suspect that before Paul came along, members of his congregation were god-fearers, or worshipping-ones, Gentles participating in Jewish activities, but not yet fully converted.

After Paul left, Jewish friends and neighbors of his converts likely had no problem with Paul’s salvific spirit --- a heavenly son of the Jewish god found in the Jewish scriptures by means of allegorical readings. But these Jews did object to claims that Paul’s Gentiles could be sons of Abraham and could be full participants with the god of Israel without the benefit of circumcision.

robert j
I suspect that before Paul came along, members of his congregation were god-fearers, or worshipping-ones, Gentles participating in Jewish activities, but not yet fully converted.

Yes, your suspicion is probably the reality describing early Christian development
Professor Cook writes in his book Modern Jews Engage:
Christianity, still deeply bonded to Judaism, accepted and based itself on the Jewish scriptures...Replicating Judaism’s synagogue structure and its networking enabled Christianity to offer a cohesiveness that pagan religions (commonly organized as local enclaves) could not match.

Moreover, Judaism at this point in its history, was modelling a creative and successful missionary style that also allowed for attracting and accepting in a kind of secondary status, Gentiles whom it styled “God-fearers”. These shared the faith, the worship and the ethical commitment of Judaism but were not obliged to adult male circumcision or to full compliance with the dietary laws, and thus were not full converts.

When Christianity emerged, however, it promised Gentiles acceptance as full members while allowing them to bypass the barriers of Jewish dietary laws and circumcision. God-fearers became key agents in publicizing Christianity’s appeal among the pagans.

Professor Rabbi Michael J. Cook
Modern Jews Engage the New Testament

Jewish Lights Publishing Woodstock, Vermont, 2008

Pages 38ff
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

robert j wrote: By the time of Paul, well-established communities of Babylonian Jews were likely rubbing elbows with communities of ethnic Galatians and other pagan peoples over large portions of Asia Minor.

I suspect many members of "Paul's congregation" were members of Gentile, pagan-mystery or Hellenistic religions. Like the Celtics, many were likely polytheistic with reverence of any number of Greek, Syrian, Roman, Egyptian, Babylonian, Assyrian & Persian gods - Osiris, Isis, Serapis, Horus, Asclepius, the Syrian Gods of Atargatis and Hadad, Ishtar, etc.