I Found Something Else For Roger Pearse To Translate That...

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: I Found Something Else For Roger Pearse To Translate Tha

Post by Peter Kirby »

I just want to say thanks to Roger for all he's done to bring texts online. For free, no less. :)
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
stephan happy huller

Post by stephan happy huller »

I think I am going in for half of the translation. It is funny because Mark House didn't want to have anything to do with someone like me. So I passed him on to Roger. In life, 'whatever works' should be everyone's motto.
Everyone loves the happy times
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Thank you, Peter.

I'm not quite sure whether you or I are talking to him, Stephan. Will email him this evening. It's a big PDF.

All the best,

Roger Pearse
stephan happy huller

I double checked and found that the Acts of Mark almost certainly draws from the same source as the Acts of Barnabas. I remember the name 'Timon' appears in Acts of Barnabas. I also suspect the pattern of going to Alexandria and many other details dovetail with one another. More to follow ...
And we, having gone across, sailed down to Cyprus by night; and having come to the place called Crommyacita, we found Timon and Ariston the temple servants, at whose house also we were entertained.

And Timon was afflicted by much fever. And having laid our hands upon him, we straightway removed his fever, having called upon the name of the Lord Jesus. And Barnabas had received documents from Matthew, a book of the word of God, and a narrative of miracles and doctrines. This Barnabas laid upon the sick in each place that we came to, and it immediately made a cure of their sufferings.

And when we had come to Lapithus, and an idol festival being celebrated in the theatre, they did not allow us to go into the city, but we rested a little at the gate. And Timon, after he rose up from his disease, came with us. And having gone forth from Lapithus, we travelled through the mountains, and came to the city of Lampadistus, of which also Timon was a native; in addition to whom, having found also that Heracleius was there, we were entertained by him. He was of the city of Tamasus, and had come to visit his relations; and Barnabas, looking steadfastly at him, recognised him, having met with him formerly at Citium with Paul; to whom also the Holy Spirit was given at baptism, and he changed his name to Heracleides. And having ordained him bishop over Cyprus, and having confirmed the church in Tamasus, we left him in the house of his brethren that dwelt there.
http://gnosis.org/library/actbarn.htm
stephan happy huller

Yes it appears others have already noticed this

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z0Cl8z ... 22&f=false
stephan happy huller

I also found an extended commentary in Lipsius on the Mark tradition:

http://archive.org/stream/dieapokryphen ... 9/mode/2up
Last edited by stephan happy huller on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Good chasing up these details. The narratives in the 4th c. apocrypha probably borrow freely from one another.
stephan happy huller

I am beginning to notice important differences too. Here is thethe order of places Mark and Barnabas visit in the Acts of Mark as far as I can see:

1. Jerusalem - the last supper at the house of Mark (Chapter 6)
2. Antioch – sermon
3. Seleucia
4. Caesarea in Palestine
5. Pamphylia
6. Cyprus where St. Paul had converted the proconsul Sergius and met Bar-Jesus
7. Gaul
8. Antioch with Paul and Barnabas
9. Jerusalem – Simeon called Niger
10. Rome with St. Peter. There he writes his gospel. Departure for Alexandria.
11. Island of Pityusa
12. Alexandria where he meets Timon

The order of places visited by Mark and Barnabas the Acts of Barnabas:

1. Iconium many days where he was baptized
2. Seleucia - and after staying three days sailed away to
3. Cyprus and I was ministering to them until we had gone round all Cyprus.
4. Perga of Pamphylia. And there I then stayed about two months
5. Antioch - Paul in bed in Antioch from the toil of the journey, who also seeing me, was exceedingly grieved on account of my delaying in Pamphylia.
6. Paul has a vision that he should go to Jerusalem, because the brethren expected him there. But Barnabas urged that they should go to Cyprus, and pass the winter, and then that they should go to Jerusalem at the feast. Great contention, therefore, arose between them. Lengthy account of their dispute
7. Mark goes with Barnabas having come down to Laodiceia to go back to Cyprus
8. Contrary wind – Corasium showing ourselves to no one, to hide the separation with Paul.
9. From Corasium to the regions of Isauria, and thence came to a certain island called Pityusa; and a storm having come on, we remained there three days
10. we sailed past the Aconesiæ, and came to the city of Anemurium
11. And we, having gone across, sailed down to Cyprus by night; and having come to the place called Crommyacita, we found Timon and Ariston the temple servants, at whose house also we were entertained.
12. Heracleius of the city of Tamasus was also in Crete changed his name to Heracleides. And having ordained him bishop over Cyprus
13. Barjesus rouses up the Jews, kill Barnabas
14. Sails to Alexandria

Timon appears in Egypt in Acts of Mark but Crete. I am pretty sure Heracleius appears in Acts of Mark in Egypt too but in Crete in Acts of Barnabas. Got to eat lunch but I pretty sure a good argument can be made that Barnabas moved them from Egypt to Crete and thus Acts of Mark may be older or go back to a more original narrative.
stephan happy huller

More on the relationship between Acts of Mark and Acts of Barnabas in a dissertation

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 0139,d.cGE
stephan happy huller

I notice that Mark is called "the most holy apostle" throughout. 'Apostle' is a common epithet for Mark in the Coptic tradition. He is also called theorimos as in the Coptic tradition. The text demonstrates certainly that the oral traditions of the Copts go back to an/the Acts of Mark.