1799 book "Revelation and Mythology"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Re: 1799 book "Revelation and Mythology"

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

the German edition is online here
Blood

Re: 1799 book "Revelation and Mythology"

Post by Blood »

DCHindley wrote:
Blood wrote:Thanks, guys. I knew someone here would have the answer. I suspected that it was a German book. Grohmann published a book the year before entitled Kritik der christlichen Offenbahrung.

I'm interested in Strauss's influences, and this book was undoubtedly one. Too bad there was (like many important German books and articles) apparently never an English translation.
It appears there was one privately produced English language commentary regarding authorship (Grohmann vs Schleirmacher) that may contain some translation of the German book:

Revelation and mythology, Friedrich Schleiermacher versus Johann Grohmann. Arguments for attributing the work "Über Offenbarung und Mythologie" to Johann Grohmann rather than to Friedrich Schleiermacher. Author: Elliot van Nostrand Diller;
Publisher: Chester, Pa. : Crozer Theological Seminary, ©1948 Reprinted for private circulation.

Crozer Theological Seminary (the alma mater of USA civil rights leader Martin Luther King) closed in fall 1970 and merged with Colgate Rochester Bexley Hall, a divinity school in Rochester, N.Y. If the book still exists, it is probably at the latter school, now known as:

Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School
1100 South Goodman Street
Rochester, New York 14620.

DCH
According to WorldCat, the only copy of this exists in the Biblioteque Nationale.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp