Early Aramaic Gospels

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Adam

Early Aramaic Gospels

Post by Adam »

My thesis of seven written gospel eyewitnesses includes viewing the Johannine discourses as based on what Nicodemus gathered as trial evidence AGAINST Jesus. Yet for them to be valuable they must relate somewhat to what Jesus actually said. Thus in 2012 I aligned various sayings from the first half of John with Synoptic passages. Unfortunately both the websites where I posted Early Aramaic Gospels have ceased or suffered catastrophic failures. (Posted August 2012 to FRDB, Sept to Theology Web, titled there “Gospel Eyewitnesses.) Early Christian Writings is more designed for such long postings anyway.

[Brackets indicate my comments or connective material] {Ellipses indicate when Teeples’s E I designate as P-Strand and thus from a later hand in Greek}
Early Aramaic Gospels
[[In the context of FRDB’s controversy about Bart Ehrman’s claim of early Aramaic records about Jesus, my presentation here of three of them naturally supports the HJ position. This also relates to my Gospel According to the Atheists as this includes three of the four sources I suggest, basically meeting Sheshbazzar’s demand long ago. The three Aramaic sources I call Early Aramaic Gospels do not include the fourth written Aramaic source which was later, the L source in Luke that was also by an eyewitness, but after a lapse of time that left many of the parables unclear. Translations from Gospel of John by Howard M. Teeple, Literary Origin of the Gospel of John, Evanston, Ill: Religion and Science Institute, 1974
For quotations of Mark and Luke from the NRSV available at Bible.Oremus.org: http://www.devotions.net/bible/00bible.htm
‘New Revised Standard Version Bible: Anglicized Edition, copyright 1989, 1995, Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.’
[The selected Bible verses below from Luke are limited not just to Q origins, but specifically to my understanding of q1 as including only comparable verses in Matthew and Luke that are inexact because they stem from a written Aramaic text. This is determined indirectly by subtracting as q2 the comparable Q verses in Mt and Lk that are exact and thus must stem from a written Greek text. (Naturally, some inexact verses may be due to extensive paraphrasing of the properly Greek q2 that thus get mislabeled as q1.) To facilitate documentation in common with other scholars, I take Luke in textual order in the sayings identified as QS in Burton Mack’s The Lost Gospel of Q, 1993, which itself parallels Kloppenborg. Verses below from Mark I also regard as from Q hidden in the Triple-Tradition, thus qT, closely paralleling what some scholars call the Twelve-Source, and all the above as probably written by Matthew. All these verses are NRSV. ]
[ For my selected verses from John to be meaningful to scholars, I have felt compelled to use Howard M. Teeple’s wooden literal translation, limited almost exclusively to sources he labels “G” and “E”. John through John 17 as included here is basically the Johannine Discourses, up through John 10 apparently written by Nicodemus for a court case accusation against Jesus. John 18 through John 19 is the Passion Narrative (Teeple’s “S” and “G”, probably written by John Mark right after the events. John 20 is from my own analysis of the earliest source, likewise John Mark (NJB). ]

Luke 3
…John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. 3 He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, 4 as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah,
‘The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
“Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low,
and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth;
6 and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.”
Mark 1
9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. 11 And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved;* with you I am well pleased.’
12 And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. 13 He was in the wilderness for forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him.
14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news* of God,* 15 and saying, ‘The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near;* repent, and believe in the good news.’*
[Or for Mark 1:12-13 use longer reading from Luke 4:1-12]

[[Insert Mark 1:16-20 as from Q1, the qTM variant from Andrew]?]

Luke 4:
1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing at all during those days, and when they were over, he was famished. 3 The devil said to him, ‘If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become a loaf of bread.’ 4 Jesus answered him, ‘It is written, “One does not live by bread alone.” ’ 5 Then the devil* led him up and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And the devil* said to him, ‘To you I will give their glory and all this authority; for it has been given over to me, and I give it to anyone I please. 7 If you, then, will worship me, it will all be yours.’ 8Jesus answered him, ‘It is written, “Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him.” ’
9 Then the devil* took him to Jerusalem, and placed him on the pinnacle of the temple, saying to him, ‘If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, 10 for it is written,
“He will command his angels concerning you, to protect you”, 11 and “On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.” ’ 12 Jesus answered him, ‘It is said, “Do not put the Lord your God to the test.” ’ 13 When the devil had finished every test, he departed from him until an opportune time.

John 3:
E 1 …Nicodemus, the name to him, an official of the Jews, ….3 Answered Jesus and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, G unless a person has been born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” E 4 Nicodemus says to him, “How can a man being old be born (again”? Can he enter into the womb of his mother a second time and be born?” 5 Answered Jesus, “Truly, truly, I say to you, G unless a person has been born from E …the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the kingdom of God. 6 The (thing) having been born from the flesh is flesh, and the (thing) having been born from the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, G ‘It is necessary (that) you be born from above.’

E 8 The Spirit blows where it wills, and you hear its voice, but you do not know whence it comes or where it goes. Thus is everyone having been born from the spirit.” 9 Answered Nicodemus and said to him, “How can these things be?” 10 Answered Jesus and said to him, “Are you a teacher of Israel and do not know these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you that what we know we speak and what we have seen we testify (to), and you do not receive our testimony. 12 If I tell you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?”

G 13 And no one has ascended into heaven except the one who has descended from heaven, the Son of Man. 14 And even as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, thus it is necessary the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 in order that everyone believing in him may have life eternal.”
G? 16 For God thus loved the world that he gave the only begotten Son, in order that everyone believing on him might not perish but have life eternal. E 17 For God did not send the Son into the world in order that he might judge the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 The one believing on him is not judged; the one not believing has already been judged because he has not believed on the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
G? 19 And this is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world and men loved the Darkness rather than the Light, for their works were wicked. 20 For everyone committing evil hates the Light and does not come to the Light, in order that his works may not be exposed. 21 But the one doing the Truth comes to the Light in order that his works may be manifested that they have been worked in God.
[Preceding six verses or so seem to be later sermonizing, as do verses 26b through 36 that Teeple splits between G and E. John 4 is even more complicated and seems to include back-filled G and E segments. In any case it is not necessarily early.]

Mark 1:
29 As soon as they* left the synagogue, they entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 Now Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told him about her at once. 31 He came and took her by the hand and lifted her up. Then the fever left her, and she began to serve them.
32 That evening, at sunset, they brought to him all who were sick or possessed with demons. 33 And the whole city was gathered around the door. 34 And he cured many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him.
35 In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed. 36 And Simon and his companions hunted for him. 37 When they found him, they said to him, ‘Everyone is searching for you.’ 38 He answered, ‘Let us go on to the neighbouring towns, so that I may proclaim the message there also; for that is what I came out to do.’ 39 And he went throughout Galilee, proclaiming the message in their synagogues and casting out demons.

40 A leper* came to him begging him, and kneeling* he said to him, ‘If you choose, you can make me clean.’ 41 Moved with pity,* Jesus* stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, ‘I do choose. Be made clean!’ 42 Immediately the leprosy* left him, and he was made clean. 43 After sternly warning him he sent him away at once, 44 saying to him, ‘See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.’ 45 But he went out and began to proclaim it freely, and to spread the word, so that Jesus* could no longer go into a town openly, but stayed out in the country; and people came to him from every quarter.

Mark 2
1 When he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home. 2 So many gathered around that there was no longer room for them, not even in front of the door; and he was speaking the word to them. 3 Then some people* came, bringing to him a paralysed man, carried by four of them. 4 And when they could not bring him to Jesus because of the crowd, they removed the roof above him; and after having dug through it, they let down the mat on which the paralytic lay. 5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven.’ 6 Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, 7 ‘Why does this fellow speak in this way? It is blasphemy! Who can forgive sins but God alone?’ 8 At once Jesus perceived in his spirit that they were discussing these questions among themselves; and he said to them, ‘Why do you raise such questions in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, “Your sins are forgiven”, or to say, “Stand up and take your mat and walk”? 10 But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins’—he said to the paralytic— 11 ‘I say to you, stand up, take your mat and go to your home.’ 12 And he stood up, and immediately took the mat and went out before all of them; so that they were all amazed and glorified God, saying, ‘We have never seen anything like this!’
[Now assuming Jesus did healings like this, but they occurred in Q as in Mark on the Sabbath, and comparably in Judea as follows in John 5:]
John 5:
E 10…And it was the Sabbath on that day. 19 Then the Jews were saying to the one having been healed, “It is the Sabbath and it is not lawful for you to Pick up your bed.” 11 And he answered them, :The one having made me well, that one said to me, “Pick up your bed and walk.” 12 They asked him, “Who is the man, the one having said to you ’Pick up and walk’?” 13 And the one having been healed did not know who it is…..15 The man went away and proclaimed to the Jews that Jesus is the one having made him well…. G 17 And he (Jesus) answered them, “My Father works until now, and I work.” …19 Then he answered and was saying to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing from himself, except what he sees the father doing. E For whatever that one does, these things also the Son does likewise. G 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows to him all things which he himself does, and greater works than thee he will show to him in order that you may marvel. 21 For just as the Father raises the dead and makes (them) alive, thus also the Son makes alive whom he wishes. 22 For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, 23 in order that all may honor the Son even as they honor the Father. The one not honoring the Son does not honor the Father the one having sent him. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you that the one hearing my word and believing the one having sent me has life eternal and does not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

E 25 Truly, truly, I say to you that the hour comes and now is when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and having heard, will live. G 26 For just as the Father has life in himself, thus also he has given to the Son to have Life in himself. 27 And he has given to him authority to make judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this, because the hour comes in which all the ones in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and the ones having done good will go forth into the resurrection of life, the ones having committed evil (will go forth) into the resurrection of Judgment.

G 30 I can do nothing from myself; even as I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I do not seek my will but the will of the one having sent me. 31 If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32 There is another, the one testifying about me, and I know that true is the testimony which he testifies about me. E 33 You sent to John, and he has testified to the truth….35 That one was a burning and shining lamp, and you wanted to rejoice for an hour in his light…..

G 37 And the Father having sent me, has testified about me. Neither his voice have you ever heard nor his form have you seen. 38 and his word you do not have staying in you, E because whom that one sent you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures because you think (that ) in them you have life ete4rnal, and those are the ones testifying about me. 40 And you do not want to come to me In order that you may have life. 41 I do not receive glory from men. 42 But I know that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. 43 I have come in the name of my Father, and you do not receive me. If another should come in his own name, that one you will receive. 44 How can you believe, receiving glory from one another, and you do not seek the glory, the one from the only (God)? 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father. The one accusing you is Moses, on whom you hope. 46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me. For that one wrote about me. 47 And if you do not believe the Scriptures of that one, how will you believe my words?”

[Returning to the original context, Galilee]
Mark 2:
13 Jesus* went out again beside the lake; the whole crowd gathered around him, and he taught them. 14 As he was walking along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, ‘Follow me.’ And he got up and followed him.
15 And as he sat at dinner* in Levi’s* house, many tax-collectors and sinners were also sitting* with Jesus and his disciples—for there were many who followed him. 16 When the scribes of* the Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax-collectors, they said to his disciples, ‘Why does he eat* with tax-collectors and sinners?’ 17 When Jesus heard this, he said to them, ‘Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.’

Mark 3:
13 He went up the mountain and called to him those whom he wanted, and they came to him. 14 And he appointed twelve, whom he also named apostles,* to be with him, and to be sent out to proclaim the message, 15 and to have authority to cast out demons. 16 So he appointed the twelve:* Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter); 17 James son of Zebedee and John the brother of James (to whom he gave the name Boanerges, that is, Sons of Thunder); 18 and Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Cananaean, 19 and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

Then he went home; 20 and the crowd came together again, so that they could not even eat. 21 When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, ‘He has gone out of his mind.’ 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, ‘He has Beelzebul, and by the ruler of the demons he casts out demons.’ 23 And he called them to him, and spoke to them in parables, ‘How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but his end has come. 27 But no one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his property without first tying up the strong man; then indeed the house can be plundered.
28 ‘Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven for their sins and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin’— 30 for they had said, ‘He has an unclean spirit.’

John 7:
S 6 Then Jesus says to them, G ”My time is not yet present, but your time is always ready. 7 The World is not able to hat you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil. E 8… I am not yet going up to this feast, because my time has not yet been fulfilled” …. 11 then the Jews were seeking him at the feast and were saying, ”Where is that one?” 12 And there was much murmuring about him in the crowd. Some were saying that “He is a good Man.” Others were saying, “But no, he leads the crowd astray.” 13 Nevertheless, no one was speaking publicly about him on account of the Jews. 14 And already in the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and was teaching. 15 Then the Jews marveled, saying, “How does this one know letters, not having been taught?”

G 16 Then answered them Jesus and said, “My teaching is not mine but of the one having sent me. 17 If anyone wills to do his will, he shall know about the teaching, whether it is from God or I speak from myself. 18 The one speaking from himself seeks his own glory. But the one seeking the glory of the one having him, this one is true and unrighteousness is not in him.

E 19 Has not Moses given you the law? And no one of you does the law. Why do you seek to kill me?” 20 The crowd answered “You have a demon! Who seeks to kill you?” 21 Answered Jesus and said to them, “One work I did and you all marvel. 22 On account of this Moses has given to you circumcision…and on the Sabbath you circumcise a man. 23 If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath in order that the law of Moses may not be broken, are you angry with me because I made a whole man well on the Sabbath? 24 Do not judge according to appearance, but judge (with) righteous judgment.” 25 Then some of the Jerusalemites were saying, “Is not this one he whom they were seeking to kill? 26 And behold, he speaks publicly, and they say nothing to him. Have not the authorities truly known that this one is the Christ? 27 But we know whence (from Galilee) this one is; but when the Christ comes, no one will know whence he is.”

G 28 The Jesus cried out while teaching in the temple and saying, “”And you know me whence (from heaven) I am. And I have not come from myself, but the one having sent me is true, E whom you do not know. 29 I know him, because I am from him and that one has sent me.” 30 Then they were seeking to seize, him, and no one laid a hand on him because his hour had not yet come. { 31 But many of the crowd believed on him, and they were saying, “When the Christ has come, will he not do more signs than this one has done?” 32 The Pharisees heard the crowd murmuring these things about him….}
G 33 Then Jesus said, E “Still a little time I am with you, and I go to the one having sent me. G You will seek me and not find; where I am you will not be able to come.” 35 Then the Jews said to themselves, “Where is this one about to go, that we will not find him: Is he about to go into the Diaspora of the Greeks and to teach the Greeks? 36 What is this word which he said, ‘You will seek me and you will not find’ and ‘where I am you are not able to come’?”
G 37 On the last day…of the feast Jesus stood and cried out saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 The one believing on me, even as the Scripture said, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his belly.’”

E 39 And he said this about the Spirit which the ones believing on him were about to receive. For the Spirit was not yet (given), because Jesus was not yet glorified….
50 Says to them Nicodemus, the one coming to him first, being one of them, 51 “Does our Law not judge a man unless it first hears from him and knows what he does?” 52 They answered and said to him, “Are you also from Galilee? Search (the Scriptures) and see that a prophet is not to rise from Galilee.”

Luke 6:
20 Then he looked up at his disciples and said:
‘Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 ‘Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled.
‘Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
27 ‘But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 ‘If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return.* Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.
{39 He also told them a parable: ‘Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? 40 A disciple is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully qualified will be like the teacher. Q2}

43 ‘No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; 44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45 The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.
46 ‘Why do you call me “Lord, Lord”, and do not do what I tell you? 47 I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. 48 That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when a flood arose, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built.* 49 But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, immediately it fell, and great was the ruin of that house.

Mark 3:
31 Then his mother and his brothers came; and standing outside, they sent to him and called him. 32 A crowd was sitting around him; and they said to him, ‘Your mother and your brothers and sisters* are outside, asking for you.’ 33 And he replied, ‘Who are my mother and my brothers?’ 34 And looking at those who sat around him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother.’

Mark 4:
1 Again he began to teach beside the lake. Such a very large crowd gathered around him that he got into a boat on the lake and sat there, while the whole crowd was beside the lake on the land. 2 He began to teach them many things in parables, and in his teaching he said to them: 3 ‘Listen! A sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and it sprang up quickly, since it had no depth of soil. 6 And when the sun rose, it was scorched; and since it had no root, it withered away. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. 8 Other seed fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.’ 9 And he said, ‘Let anyone with ears to hear listen!’

10 When he was alone, those who were around him along with the twelve asked him about the parables. 11 And he said to them, ‘To you has been given the secret* of the kingdom of God, but for those outside, everything comes in parables; 12 in order that “they may indeed look, but not perceive, and may indeed listen, but not understand; so that they may not turn again and be forgiven.” ’
13 And he said to them, ‘Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand all the parables? 14 The sower sows the word. 15 These are the ones on the path where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them. 16 And these are the ones sown on rocky ground: when they hear the word, they immediately receive it with joy. 17 But they have no root, and endure only for a while; then, when trouble or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately they fall away.* 18 And others are those sown among the thorns: these are the ones who hear the word, 19 but the cares of the world, and the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things come in and choke the word, and it yields nothing. 20 And these are the ones sown on the good soil: they hear the word and accept it and bear fruit, thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.’

21 He said to them, ‘Is a lamp brought in to be put under the bushel basket, or under the bed, and not on the lampstand? 22 For there is nothing hidden, except to be disclosed; nor is anything secret, except to come to light. 23 Let anyone with ears to hear listen!’ 24And he said to them, ‘Pay attention to what you hear; the measure you give will be the measure you get, and still more will be given you. 25For to those who have, more will be given; and from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.’

26 He also said, ‘The kingdom of God is as if someone would scatter seed on the ground, 27and would sleep and rise night and day, and the seed would sprout and grow, he does not know how. 28The earth produces of itself, first the stalk, then the head, then the full grain in the head. 29But when the grain is ripe, at once he goes in with his sickle, because the harvest has come.’
30 He also said, ‘With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable will we use for it? 31 It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; 32 yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.’
33 With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to hear it; 34 he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained everything in private to his disciples.

35 On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, ‘Let us go across to the other side.’ 36 And leaving the crowd behind, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. Other boats were with him. 37 A great gale arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that the boat was already being swamped. 38 But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke him up and said to him, ‘Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?’ 39 He woke up and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, ‘Peace! Be still!’ Then the wind ceased, and there was a dead calm. 40 He said to them, ‘Why are you afraid? Have you still no faith?’ 41 And they were filled with great awe and said to one another, ‘Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?’

Mark 6:
2 On the sabbath he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were astounded. They said, ‘Where did this man get all this? What is this wisdom that has been given to him? What deeds of power are being done by his hands! 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary* and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon, and are not his sisters here with us?’ And they took offence* at him. 4 Then Jesus said to them, ‘Prophets are not without honour, except in their home town, and among their own kin, and in their own house.’ 5 And he could do no deed of power there, except that he laid his hands on a few sick people and cured them. 6 And he was amazed at their unbelief.

Then he went about among the villages teaching. 7 He called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. 8 He ordered them to take nothing for their journey except a staff; no bread, no bag, no money in their belts; 9 but to wear sandals and not to put on two tunics. 10 He said to them, ‘Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave the place. 11 If any place will not welcome you and they refuse to hear you, as you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.’ 12 So they went out and proclaimed that all should repent.

Luke 9:
6…and went from village to village proclaiming the good news and healing everywhere.
14 King Herod heard of it, for Jesus’* name had become known. Some were* saying, ‘John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers are at work in him.’ 15 But others said, ‘It is Elijah.’ And others said, ‘It is a prophet, like one of the prophets of old.’ 16 But when Herod heard of it, he said, ‘John, whom I beheaded, has been raised.’

Luke 10:
4 Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, “Peace to this house!” 6 And if anyone is there who shares in peace, your peace will rest on that person; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the labourer deserves to be paid. Do not move about from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and its people welcome you, eat what is set before you; 9 cure the sick who are there, and say to them, “The kingdom of God has come near to you.”* 10 But whenever you enter a town and they do not welcome you, go out into its streets and say, 11 “Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet, we wipe off in protest against you. Yet know this: the kingdom of God has come near.”

16 ‘Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me, and whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.’
Luke 11:
33 ‘No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar,* but on the lampstand so that those who enter may see the light. 34 Your eye is the lamp of your body. If your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light; but if it is not healthy, your body is full of darkness. 35 Therefore consider whether the light in you is not darkness. 36 If then your whole body is full of light, with no part of it in darkness, it will be as full of light as when a lamp gives you light with its rays.’ 36 If then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be wholly bright, as when a lamp with its rays gives you light."

John 8:
E 12 Then again to them G Jesus spoke saying, “I am the Light of the world. The one following me will not walk in Darkness, but will have the Light of life.” 13 Then the Pharisees said to him, “You are testifying about yourself; your testimony is not true.” E 14 Answered Jesus and said to them, “And if I testify about myself, my testimony is true, because I know whence I came and where I am going. You do not know whence I come or where I am going. 15 You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. 16 But even if I judge, G and my judgment is true because I am not alone, but I and the one having sent me. 17 An even in your law it has been written that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am the one testifying about myself; the father having sent me also testifies about me.”

E 19 Then they were saying to him, “Where is your father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father; if you knew me, my Father also you would know.” 20 He spoke these words in the treasury (while) teaching in the temple. And no one seized him, because not yet had his hour come. 21 Then he said again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you are not able to come.” 22 Then the Jews were saying, “he isn’t going to kill himself, is he, that he says “Where I am going, you are not able to come?” 23 And he was saying to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are from this world; I am not from this world. 24 I said to you that you will die in your sins.” 25 They were saying to him, “Who are you?” Jesus said to them, “Whatever I also told you (at) the beginning. 26 I have many things about you to speak and to judge, but the one having sent me is true, and I what I have heard from him, these things I speak to the world.” 27 They did not know that he was speaking to them (about) the Father.
G 28 then Jesus said “Whenever you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am and I do nothing from myself, but even as the Father has taught me, these things I speak. 29 And the one having sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, because I always do the things pleasing to him.” E
30 When He spoke these things, many believed on him.
[to be continued]
Adam

Re: Early Aramaic Gospels

Post by Adam »

Luke 11:
[37 He had just finished speaking when a Pharisee invited him to dine at his house. He went in and sat down at table. 38 The Pharisee saw this and was surprised that he had not first washed before the meal. 39 Then the Lord said to him,]
‘Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40 You fools! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41 So give for alms those things that are within; and see, everything will be clean for you.
42 ‘But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and herbs of all kinds, and neglect justice and the love of God; it is these you ought to have practised, without neglecting the others. 43 Woe to you Pharisees! For you love to have the seat of honour in the synagogues and to be greeted with respect in the market-places. 44 Woe to you! For you are like unmarked graves, and people walk over them without realizing it.’

45 One of the lawyers answered him, ‘Teacher, when you say these things, you insult us too.’ 46 And he said, ‘Woe also to you lawyers! For you load people with burdens hard to bear, and you yourselves do not lift a finger to ease them. 47 Woe to you! For you build the tombs of the prophets whom your ancestors killed. 48 So you are witnesses and approve of the deeds of your ancestors; for they killed them, and you build their tombs. 49 Therefore also the Wisdom of God said, “I will send them prophets and apostles, some of whom they will kill and persecute”, 50 so that this generation may be charged with the blood of all the prophets shed since the foundation of the world, 51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who perished between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, it will be charged against this generation. 52 Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge; you did not enter yourselves, and you hindered those who were entering.’

Luke 12:
{Lk 12:8-10 moved to (Early) Gospel Sources 1/27/13: exact and Semitic)
11 When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, do not worry about how* you are to defend yourselves or what you are to say; 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that very hour what you ought to say.’
22 He said to his disciples, ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25 And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life.
33 Sell your possessions, and give alms. Make purses for yourselves that do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

49 ‘I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division! 52 From now on, five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three; 53 they will be divided:
father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother,
mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.’

54 He also said to the crowds, ‘When you see a cloud rising in the west, you immediately say, “It is going to rain”; and so it happens. 55 And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, “There will be scorching heat”; and it happens. 56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?
[Moved 12:57-59 to Q2 in [Early] Gospel Sources 1/27/13]
John 8:31
G 31 Then Jesus was saying to the Jews having believed him, “If you remain in my word you are truly my disciples, 323and you will know the truth , and the truth will make you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are seed of Abraham, and we have never been enslaved to anyone. How do you say that “”You will become free”? E 34 Answered them Jesus, ” Truly, truly, I say to you that everyone doing sin is a slave of sin. 35 But the slave does not remain in the house forever. 36 Then if the Son makes you free, you will really be free. G 37 I know that you are seed of Abraham, but E you seek to kill me because G my word has no place in you. E 38 What I have seen with the Father, I speak; then also what you have heard from the Father, do”….

E 40 But now you seek to kill me, a man who has spoken the truth to you, which I have heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the works of your father.” They said to him, “We have not been born from fornication; we have one father, God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your father, you would love me, for G I came forth from God, and I have come. For I have not come from myself, E but that one sent me. G 43 Why do you not know my speech? It is because you are not able to hear my word. 44 You are from (your) father the Devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer from the beginning and did not stand in the truth, because the truth is not in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own (nature), because he is a liar and the father [of lies]. 46 But because I speak the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Does any of you convict me of sin? If I speak truth, why do you not believe? 47 The one being from God hears the words of God. G On account of this you do not listen, that you are not from God. E 48 Answered the Jews and said to him, “Do we not rightly say that you are a Samaritan and you have a demon?” 49 Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50 And I do not seek my glory. There is one seeking and judging.

G 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone will keep my word, he will not see death forever. E 52 The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died and the prophets, and you say, “If anyone will keep my word, he will not taste death forever.” 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died and the prophets (who) died? What do you yourself do?” 54 Jesus answered, “If I will glorify myself, my glory is nothing. My Father is the one glorifying me, whom you say that he is your God; 55and you do not know him, but I know him. And if I said that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I know him and I keep his word. G 56 Abraham your father rejoiced that he would see my day, and he saw and was glad.” E 57 Then the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.” 59 Then they picked up stones in order that they might throw them at him. But Jesus was hidden and went out from the temple.

Luke 13:
18 He said therefore, ‘What is the kingdom of God like? And to what should I compare it? 19 It is like a mustard seed that someone took and sowed in the garden; it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.’
20 And again he said, ‘To what should I compare the kingdom of God? 21 It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed in with* three measures of flour until all of it was leavened.’
24 ‘Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the owner of the house has got up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, “Lord, open to us”, then in reply he will say to you, “I do not know where you come from.” 26 Then you will begin to say, “We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.” 27 But he will say, “I do not know where you come from; go away from me, all you evildoers!”

John 10
G 1 Truly, truly, I say to you, the one not entering through the door into the fold of the sheep, E but climbing over at some other place, that one G is a thief and a robber. 2 But the one entering through the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The doorkeeper opens to this one, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and he leads them out. 4 Whenever he takes out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But a stranger they do not follow, but will flee from him because they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6 Jesus spoke to them this figure, but those did not know what the things were which he was speaking to them. 7 Then Jesus said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the shepherd of the sheep. 8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door. If anyone enters through me, he will be saved, and he will go in and go out and find pasture. 10 The thief does not come except in order to steal and to slaughter and to destroy. I came in order that they may have life and have it more abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life in behalf of the sheep.

12 The hired man, being not even a shepherd, whose sheep are not his own, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees…13 because he is a hired man and it is not a concern to him about the sheep. G I am the good shepherd, and I know mine, and mine know me, 15 even as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I lay down my life in behalf of the sheep.
E 16 And other sheep I have which are not of this fold. And it is necessary (for) me to lead those, and they will hear my voice and there will be one flock, one shepherd. 17 On account of this the Father loves me, because I lay down my life, in order that I may take it up again.

G 18 No one took it from me, but I lay it down from myself. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. E This commandment I received from my Father.” 19 There was a schism again among the Jews on account of these words. 20 And many of them were saying, “He has a demon and is mad. Why listen to him?” 21 Others were saying, “These are not the words of a demon-possessed (person). Is a demon able to open the eyes of the blind?”

Mark 6:
30 The apostles gathered around Jesus, and told him all that they had done and taught. 31 He said to them, ‘Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.’ For many were coming and going, and they had no leisure even to eat. 32 And they went away in the boat to a deserted place by themselves. 33 Now many saw them going and recognized them, and they hurried there on foot from all the towns and arrived ahead of them. 34 As he went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things. 35 When it grew late, his disciples came to him and said, ‘This is a deserted place, and the hour is now very late; 36 send them away so that they may go into the surrounding country and villages and buy something for themselves to eat.’ 37 But he answered them, ‘You give them something to eat.’ They said to him, ‘Are we to go and buy two hundred denarii* worth of bread, and give it to them to eat?’ 38 And he said to them, ‘How many loaves have you? Go and see.’ When they had found out, they said, ‘Five, and two fish.’ 39 Then he ordered them to get all the people to sit down in groups on the green grass. 40 So they sat down in groups of hundreds and of fifties. 41 Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; and he divided the two fish among them all. 42 And all ate and were filled; 43 and they took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces and of the fish. 44 Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men. [This Feeding is not from Q nor Nicodemus, but is in all four gospels so must be early, and is necessary preliminary to the Discourse Source in John 6.]

John 6:
S 14 Then the men seeing the sign which he did, were saying that “This one is truly the Prophet , the one coming into the world. E 15 Then Jesus knew that they were about to come and to seize him in order that they may make (him) king, he himself withdrew again into the mountain alone.
Mark 6:
45 Immediately he made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side, to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. 46 After saying farewell to them, he went up on the mountain to pray.

47 When evening came, the boat was out on the lake, and he was alone on the land. 48 When he saw that they were straining at the oars against an adverse wind, he came towards them early in the morning, walking on the lake. He intended to pass them by. 49 But when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought it was a ghost and cried out; 50 for they all saw him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them and said, ‘Take heart, it is I; do not be afraid.’ 51 Then he got into the boat with them and the wind ceased. And they were utterly astounded, 52 for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened. [Again, provenance unsure, but has to be early.]

John 6:
E 24 Then when the crowd saw that Jesus is not there, nor his disciples, S they came into Capernaum seeking Jesus. 25 And finding him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?”
G 26 Answered them Jesus and said, “Truly, truly, I say to you, E you seek me not because you saw signs, but because you ate from the loaves and were filled.” G 27 Do not work for the meat the one perishing, but for the one remaining for life eternal, which the Son of Man will give to you. For God the Father sealed this. 28 Then they said to him, “What should we do in order that we may work the works of God?” E 29 Answered Jesus and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe on whom that one sent.” G They said to him, “What sign do you do, in order that we may see and believe you? What do you work? E 31 Our fathers ate manna in the wilderness, even as it is having been written, “Bread from Heaven he gave to them to eat.” G 32 Then Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, E Moses has not given to you the bread from Heaven, but G my Father gives to you the true bread from Heaven. E 33 For the bread of God is the one coming down from Heaven and giving life to the world.”
G 34 They said to him, “Lord, give to us always this bread.” 35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. The one coming to me will not hunger, and the one believing on me will never thirst. E 36 But I said to you that you have even seen me and you do not believe. G 37 Everything which the Father gives to me will come to me, E and the one coming to me I will not cast outside, G 38 because I have come down from heaven not in order that I may do my will but the will of the one having sent me, 39 that everything which he has given to me I will not lose (any) of it, but I will raise it on the last day.

E 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone seeing the Son and believing on him may have life eternal, and I will raise him on the last day.” 41 Then the Jews murmured about him because he said, “I am the bread the one having come down from heaven.” 42 And they were saying, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say that ‘I have come down from heaven’”? 43 Answered Jesus and said to them, “Do not murmur with one another. 44 No one is able to come to me unless the Father, the one having sent me, should draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. 45 It is having been written in the Prophets, “and all will be taught by God,” Everyone having heard and learned from the Father comes to me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the one being from God, this one has seen the Father. 47 Truly, truly, I say to you, the one believing has life eternal. 48 I am the bread of life, 49 Your fathers ate manna in the wilderness and died. 50 This is the bread, the one coming down from heaven, that anyone may eat of it and may not die.

G 51 I am the living bread, the one coming down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. G? And also the bread which I will give is my flesh (given) in behalf of the life of the world.” 52 Then the Jews were disputing with one another saying, “How is this one able to give to us flesh to eat?” 53 Then Jesus said to them, “
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life in yourselves….

G 58 This is the bread, the one having come down from heaven, not even as the fathers ate and died….S 60 Then many of his disciples, having heard, said, “This saying is hard. Who is able to hear it?” G 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were murmuring about this, said to them, “Are you offended at this? 62 Then (what) if you should see the Son of Man ascending where he was formerly? E 63 The Spirit is the thing making alive; the flesh profits nothing. The worlds which I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.”…

E 65 And he was saying, “On account of this I have said to you that no one is able to come to me unless it has been given to him by the Father.” S From this many of his disciples went back behind him and no longer walked with him. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you not also want to go?” 68 Answered him Simon Peter, “Lord, to whom will we go? You have the words of life eternal; 69 and we have believed and we have known that you are the Holy One of God.”

John 10:
R 23 …Jesus was walking in the temple….E Then the Jews surrounded him and were saying to him, “Until when do you take away our life? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” G Jesus answered, E “I told you, and you do not believe. The works which I do in the name of my Father, these testify about me. 26 But G you do not believe because you are not from my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me, 28 and I give them life eternal, and they will not perish forever, and no one will snatch them from my hand. 29 The Father who has given (them) to me is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch (them) from the hand of the Father. 30 I and the Father are one.”

E 31 The Jews picked up stones again in order that they might stone him. G Answered them Jesus, “Many good works I have shown to you from the Father. E For which work of them do you stone me?” 33 Answered him the Jews, “We stone you not about a good work, but about blasphemy, and because, being a man, make yourself a god.” 34 Answered them Jesus, “Is it not written in your law that ‘I said, You are gods?’ 35 If he [God] said gods those to whom the word of God came,…36 do you say whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world that ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I do not do the works of my Father, do not believe me, believe the works, in order that you may know and understand that the Father (is) in me and I (am) in the Father.” 39 They were seeking to seize him, and he went out from their hand.

Luke 13:
28 there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrown out. 29 Then people will come from east and west, from north and south, and will eat in the kingdom of God. 30 Indeed, some are last who will be first, and some are first who will be last.’
[34 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 35 See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when* you say, “Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.” ’ Q2]

Mark 9:
14 When they came to the disciples, they saw a great crowd around them, and some scribes arguing with them. 15 When the whole crowd saw him, they were immediately overcome with awe, and they ran forward to greet him. 16 He asked them, ‘What are you arguing about with them?’ 17 Someone from the crowd answered him, ‘Teacher, I brought you my son; he has a spirit that makes him unable to speak; 18 and whenever it seizes him, it dashes him down; and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid; and I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they could not do so.’ 19 He answered them, ‘You faithless generation, how much longer must I be among you? How much longer must I put up with you? Bring him to me.’ 20 And they brought the boy* to him. When the spirit saw him, immediately it threw the boy* into convulsions, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. 21 Jesus* asked the father, ‘How long has this been happening to him?’ And he said, ‘From childhood. 22 It has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us.’ 23 Jesus said to him, ‘If you are able!—All things can be done for the one who believes.’ 2 4 Immediately the father of the child cried out,* ‘I believe; help my unbelief!’ 25 When Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, ‘You spirit that keep this boy from speaking and hearing, I command you, come out of him, and never enter him again!’ 26 After crying out and convulsing him terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, ‘He is dead.’ 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he was able to stand. 28 When he had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, ‘Why could we not cast it out?’ 29 He said to them, ‘This kind can come out only through prayer.’*

33 Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the way?’ 34 But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. 35 He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, ‘Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.’ 36 Then he took a little child and put it among them; and taking it in his arms, he said to them, 37 ‘Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes not me but the one who sent me.’

Luke 14:
16 Then Jesus* said to him, ‘Someone gave a great dinner and invited many. 17 At the time for the dinner he sent his slave to say to those who had been invited, “Come; for everything is ready now.” 18 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, “I have bought a piece of land, and I must go out and see it; please accept my apologies.” 19 Another said, “I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to try them out; please accept my apologies.” 20 Another said, “I have just been married, and therefore I cannot come.” 21 So the slave returned and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and said to his slave, “Go out at once into the streets and lanes of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind, and the lame.” 22 And the slave said, “Sir, what you ordered has been done, and there is still room.” 23 Then the master said to the slave, “Go out into the roads and lanes, and compel people to come in, so that my house may be filled. 24 For I tell you,* none of those who were invited will taste my dinner.” ’
… 26 ‘Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

Luke 15:
4 ‘Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? 5 When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbours, saying to them, “Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.” 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance.

Luke 16:
16 ‘The law and the prophets were in effect until John came; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is proclaimed, and everyone tries to enter it by force.* 17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one stroke of a letter in the law to be dropped.
18 ‘Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and whoever marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

Luke 17:
3 Be on your guard! If another disciple* sins, you must rebuke the offender, and if there is repentance, you must forgive. 4 And if the same person sins against you seven times a day, and turns back to you seven times and says, “I repent”, you must forgive.’
5 The apostles said to the Lord, ‘Increase our faith!’ 6 The Lord replied, ‘If you had faith the size of a* mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, “Be uprooted and planted in the sea”, and it would obey you….

23 They will say to you, “Look there!” or “Look here!” Do not go, do not set off in pursuit. 24 For as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day.* 25 But first he must endure much suffering and be rejected by this generation. … 28 Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, 29 but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained fire and sulphur from heaven and destroyed all of them 30—it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is revealed. 31 On that day, anyone on the housetop who has belongings in the house must not come down to take them away; and likewise anyone in the field must not turn back. 32 Remember Lot’s wife. 33 Those who try to make their life secure will lose it, but those who lose their life will keep it. 34 I tell you, on that night there will be two in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35 There will be two women grinding meal together; one will be taken and the other left.’* 37 Then they asked him, ‘Where, Lord?’ He said to them, ‘Where the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.’

John 11:
E 8 …”now the Jews are seeking to stone you, and are you going there again?” 9 Jesus answered , G “Are there not twelve hours in a day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” ….
41…And Jesus lifted up (his) eyes and said, “Father, I give thanks to you because you heard me. 42 But I knew that you always hear me, but I said (this) on account of the crowd, the one standing by, in order that they may believe that you sent me.”

Mark 10:
41 When the ten heard this, they began to be angry with James and John. 42 So Jesus called them and said to them, ‘You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. 43 But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. 45 For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.’
Adam

Post by Adam »

Luke 19:
11 As they were listening to this, he went on to tell a parable, because he was near Jerusalem, and because they supposed that the kingdom of God was to appear immediately. 12 So he said, ‘A nobleman went to a distant country to get royal power for himself and then return. 13 He summoned ten of his slaves, and gave them ten pounds,* and said to them, “Do business with these until I come back.” 14 But the citizens of his country hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, “We do not want this man to rule over us.” 15 When he returned, having received royal power, he ordered these slaves, to whom he had given the money, to be summoned so that he might find out what they had gained by trading. 16 The first came forward and said, “Lord, your pound has made ten more pounds.” 17 He said to him, “Well done, good slave! Because you have been trustworthy in a very small thing, take charge of ten cities.” 18 Then the second came, saying, “Lord, your pound has made five pounds.” 19 He said to him, “And you, rule over five cities.” 20 Then the other came, saying, “Lord, here is your pound. I wrapped it up in a piece of cloth, 21 for I was afraid of you, because you are a harsh man; you take what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.” 22 He said to him, “I will judge you by your own words, you wicked slave! You knew, did you, that I was a harsh man, taking what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Why then did you not put my money into the bank? Then when I returned, I could have collected it with interest.” 24 He said to the bystanders, “Take the pound from him and give it to the one who has ten pounds.” 25 (And they said to him, “Lord, he has ten pounds!”) 26 “I tell you, to all those who have, more will be given; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. 27 But as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and slaughter them in my presence.” ’

[Italics bracketed here represent later editorial additions with verbal exactitudes.]
Mark 11:
[1 When they were approaching Jerusalem, at Bethphage and Bethany, near the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples 2 and said to them, ‘Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately as you enter it, you will find tied there a colt that has never been ridden; untie it and bring it.] 3 If anyone says to you, “Why are you doing this?” just say this, “The Lord needs it and will send it back here immediately.” ’ 4 They went away and found a colt tied near a door, outside in the street. As they were untying it, 5 some of the bystanders said to them, ‘What are you doing, untying the colt?’ 6 They told them what Jesus had said; and they allowed them to take it. 7 Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on it. 8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut in the fields. 9 Then those who went ahead and those who followed were shouting,
‘Hosanna!
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
10 Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David!
Hosanna in the highest heaven!’

11 Then he entered Jerusalem and went into the temple; and when he had looked around at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve. 15 Then they came to Jerusalem. And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who were selling and those who were buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold doves; 16 and he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple. 17 He was teaching and saying, ‘Is it not written,
“My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations”?
But you have made it a den of robbers.’
18 And when the chief priests and the scribes heard it, they kept looking for a way to kill him; for they were afraid of him, because the whole crowd was spellbound by his teaching. 19 And when evening came, Jesus and his disciples* went out of the city.

Mark 12:
1 Then he began to speak to them in parables. ‘A man planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a pit for the wine press, and built a watch-tower; then he leased it to tenants and went to another country. 2 When the season came, he sent a slave to the tenants to collect from them his share of the produce of the vineyard. 3 But they seized him, and beat him, and sent him away empty-handed. 4 And again he sent another slave to them; this one they beat over the head and insulted. 5 Then he sent another, and that one they killed. And so it was with many others; some they beat, and others they killed. 6 He had still one other, a beloved son. Finally he sent him to them, saying, “They will respect my son.” 7 But those tenants said to one another, “This is the heir; come, let us kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.” 8 So they seized him, killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard. 9 What then will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the tenants and give the vineyard to others. 10 Have you not read this scripture:
“The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone;* 11 this was the Lord’s doing, and it is amazing in our eyes”?’

12 When they realized that he had told this parable against them, they wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowd. So they left him and went away.
13 Then they sent to him some Pharisees and some Herodians to trap him in what he said. 14 And they came and said to him, ‘Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality, but teach the way of God in accordance with truth. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not? 15 Should we pay them, or should we not?’ But knowing their hypocrisy, he said to them, ‘Why are you putting me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me see it.’ 16 And they brought one. Then he said to them, ‘Whose head is this, and whose title?’ They answered, ‘The emperor’s.’ 17 Jesus said to them, ‘Give to the emperor the things that are the emperor’s, and to God the things that are God’s.’ And they were utterly amazed at him.

[18 Some Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him and asked him a question, saying, 19 ‘Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no child, the man* shall marry the widow and raise up children for his brother. 20 There were seven brothers; the first married and, when he died, left no children; 21 and the second married her and died, leaving no children; and the third likewise; 22 none of the seven left children. Last of all the woman herself died. 23 In the resurrection* whose wife will she be? For the seven had married her.’]
24 Jesus said to them, ‘Is not this the reason you are wrong, that you know neither the scriptures nor the power of God? 25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. 26 And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the story about the bush, how God said to him, “I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob”? 27 He is God not of the dead, but of the living; you are quite wrong.’

28 One of the scribes came near and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, he asked him, ‘Which commandment is the first of all?’ 29 Jesus answered, ‘The first is, “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; 30 you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.” 31 The second is this, “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” There is no other commandment greater than these.’ 32Then the scribe said to him, ‘You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that “he is one, and besides him there is no other”; 33 and “to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength”, and “to love one’s neighbour as oneself”,—this is much more important than all whole burnt-offerings and sacrifices.’ 34 When Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, ‘You are not far from the kingdom of God.’ After that no one dared to ask him any question.

John 12:
G 23 And Jesus answers them saying, “The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, if a kernel of wheat, falling into the earth, does not die, it itself remains alone. But if it dies, it bears much fruit. 25 The one loving his life loses it, and the one hating his life in this world preserves it for life eternal. 26 If anyone would serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there also my servant will be. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

E 27 Now my soul is disturbed, and what should I say—Father, save me from this hour? But on account of this I came into this hour 28 Father, glorify your name. “ Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified and I will glorify (it) again.” 29 The crowd, the one standing and having heard, was saying, “It was thunder.” Others were saying, “An angel has spoken to him.” 30 Answered Jesus and said, “This voice came not for the sake of me, but for the sake of you. 51 Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. G 32 And if I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all things to myself.”

E 33 And he was saying this signifying by what death he was about to die. 34 Then answered him the crowd, “We have heard from the law that the Christ remains forever, and how do you say that it is necessary (that) the Son of Man be lifted up?” Who is this Son of Man? G 35 Then Jesus said to them, E
“Still a little time the light is among you, G walk while you have the light, in order that darkness may not seize you. E And the one walking in the darkness knows not where he is going. G 36 While you have the Light, believe in the Light, in order that you may become Sons of Light.” E Jesus spoke these things, and going away was hidden from them. 37 But (though) he had done so many signs before them, they did not believe on him….because Isaiah said, 40 he has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, in order that they may not see with their eyes and understand with (their) hearts, and change, and I would heal them.” 41 Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory, and he has spoken about him…

G 44 The one believing on me, believes not on me but on the one having sent me, 45 and the one seeing me sees the one having sent me. E 46 I have come as Light into the world, in order that the one believing on me may not remain in Darkness. 47 And if anyone hears my words and does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come in order that I may judge the world, but in order that I may save the world. 48 The one rejecting me and not receiving my words has him who judges (him)….
49 Because I have not spoken from myself, but the Father having sent me has himself given commandment to me what I said and what I will speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life eternal. Therefore what things I speak, even as the Father told me, thus I speak.”

Mark 13:
17 Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in those days! 18 Pray that it may not be in winter. 19 For in those days there will be suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the creation that God created until now, no, and never will be. 20 And if the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would be saved; but for the sake of the elect, whom he chose, he has cut short those days. 21 And if anyone says to you at that time, “Look! Here is the Messiah!”* or “Look! There he is!”—do not believe it. 22 False messiahs* and false prophets will appear and produce signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, the elect. 23 But be alert; I have already told you everything. 24 ‘But in those days, after that suffering, the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light, 25 and the stars will be falling from heaven,
and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.
[Note: This above passage Mark 13:17-25 shows the inexact similarities marking qT, but by its content I would mark it and also 1:9-15 and 6:14-16 as q2, whereas the rest of qT Marcan passages I regard as from q1.]

33 Beware, keep alert;* for you do not know when the time will come. 34 It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his slaves in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch. 35 Therefore, keep awake—for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or at dawn, 36 or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly. 37 And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake.’
Luke 22:
28 Now when these things begin to take place, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.’
29 Then he told them a parable: ‘Look at the fig tree and all the trees; 30 as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near.

Mark 14:
10 Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. 11 When they heard it, they were greatly pleased, and promised to give him money. So he began to look for an opportunity to betray him.
17 When it was evening, he came with the twelve. 18 And when they had taken their places and were eating, Jesus said, ‘Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me.’ 19 They began to be distressed and to say to him one after another, ‘Surely, not I?’ 20 He said to them, ‘It is one of the twelve, one who is dipping bread into the bowl with me. 21 For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that one by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that one not to have been born.

22 While they were eating, he took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to them, and said, ‘Take; this is my body.’ 23 Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, and all of them drank from it. 24 He said to them, ‘This is my blood of the* covenant, which is poured out for many. 25 Truly I tell you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.’

John 13:
G 1 Jesus, seeing that his hour had come that he should pass from this world to the Father….3 knowing that the Father had given to him all things into (his) hands,…
16 “Truly, truly, I say to you a slave is not greater than his master, nor an apostle than the one having sent him. 17 If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them….
20 Truly, truly, I say to you, the one receiving anyone I will send, receives me, and the one receiving me, receives the one having sent me.”

John 14:
G 1 “Let not your heart be disturbed; you believe on God, believe on me also. 2 In the house of my Father there are many rooms; and if (there were) not, I would have told you. I am going to prepare a place4 for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will take you to myself, in order that where I am, you also may be. E 4 And where I am going, you know the way.” 5 Thomas says to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going; how do we know the way?” 6 Jesus says to him, G I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. E If you had known me, my Father also you would have known…..8 Philip says to him, show to us the Father, and it will be sufficient for us.” 9 Jesus says to him, “So much time I am with you and you do not know me, Philip? The one having seen me has seen the Father. How do you say, “Show to us the Father”? 10 Do you not believe that G I am in the Father and the Father is in me?” E The words which I say to you G I do not speak from myself. But the Father staying in me does the works themselves. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; if not, believe on account of the works.

12 Truly, truly, I say to you the one believing on me, the works which I do, that one also will do, and greater than these he will do because I am going to the Father. 13 And whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, in order that the Father may be glorified by the Son. G If you ask me anything in my name, I will give (it). E If you love me, G you will keep my commandments. E And I will ask the Father, and another Paraclete he will give to you, in order that it may be with you forever, 17 the Spirit of Truth, which the world is not able to receive, because it nether sees nor knows it. You know it, because it stays with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. 19 Still a little (while) and the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. 20 On that day you will know that I (am) in my Father and you in me and I in you. 21 The one having my commandments and keeping them, that one is the one loving me. And the one loving me will be kept by my Father, and I will love him and will reveal myself to him. 22 Says to him Judas, “Lord what happened that you are about to reveal yourself to us and not to the world?” 23 Answered Jesus and said to him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word and we will come to him and will make a dwelling place with him. 24 The one not loving me does not keep my words.
G And the word which you hear is not mine, but of the Father having sent me. 25 I have spoken these things to you (while) staying with you. 26 And the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, which the Father will send in my name…will teach you all things.

E And will remind you of all things which I told you. G Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives I give to you. E Let not your heart be disturbed no be timid. 28 You have heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. 29 And now I have told you before it happens, in order that when it happens, you may believe. 30 I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in me; 31 but in order that the world may know that I love the Father, and even as the Father has commanded me, thus I do. G Arise let us go from here.”

John 15:
G 1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the farmer. 2 Every branch in me not bearing fruit, he takes it away, and everything bearing fruit, he cleans it in order that it may bear more fruit. R 3 Already you are clean on account of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, and I in you; even as the branch is not able to bear fruit from itself except it remain in the vine, thus neither you (can) unless you remain in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. E The one remaining in me and I in him, this one bears much fruit, because without me you are not able to do anything. G 6 If a person does not remain in me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered, and they gather and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you remain in me E and my words remain in you, G ask whatever you wish and it shall be to you. E 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and become my disciple. 9 Even as the Father loved me, I also loved you. G Remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you remain in my love, even as I have kept the commandments of the father and I remain in his love.

G 11 These things I have spoken to you in order that my joy may be in you and your joy may be filled. 12 This is my commandment E that you love one another even as I loved you. 13 Greater love than this has no one, that he lays down his life for the sake of his friends. G 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. E No longer I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master does; but I called you friends because all things which I heard from my Father I made known to you.

G 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed E in order that you may go and bear fruit and your fruit remain G in order that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give to you. 17 These things I command you in order that you may love one another. G 18 If the world hates you, know that it has hated me first. 19 If you were from the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not from the world, E –but I chose you from the world, on account of this—G the world hates you…. E If they persecuted me, you also they will persecute. If they kept my word, yours also they will keep. 21 But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know the one having sent me. 22 Unless I came and spoke to them, they would not have sin. But now they do not have an excuse for their sin. G 23 The one hating me also hates my Father. E 24 If I did not do the works among them which no one other did, they would not have sin. But now they have both seen and have hated me and my Father…. 26 E Whenever the Paraclete comes which I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of Truth which proceeds from the Father, that one will testify about me. 27 And you also testify, because from the beginning you are with me.”

John 16:
E 1 I have spoken these things to you in order that you may not stumble. 2 They will ban you from the synagogues. But the hour comes that everyone killing you will think he offers service to God. 3 And they will do these things because they know neither the Father nor me. But I have spoken these things to you in order that whenever the hour has come, you will remember them, because I told you. 5 And now I go to the one having sent me, and no one of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’
G 6 But because I have spoken these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 But I say the truth to you: it is advantageous for you that I go away. For if I do not go away, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send it to you. E 8 And coming that one will convict the world about sin and about righteousness and about judgment. 9 About sin because they do not believe on me; 10 and about righteousness because I am going to the Father and no longer you will see me; 11 and about judgment because the ruler of this world has been judged.

G 12 I have still many things to say to you, but you are not able to hear (them) now. 13 But whenever that one comes, the Spirit of Truth, it will guide you into all truth. For it will not speak from itself, but whatever it hears it will speak, and the coming things it will proclaim to you. 14 That one will glorify me, because it will receive from me and proclaim to you.

E 15 All things whatsoever the Father has are mine. On account of this I say that it receives from me and proclaims to you. 16 A little (while) and no longer you will see me, and again al little (while) and you will see me.” 17 Then some of his disciples said to one another, “What is this which he says to us, ‘A little (while) and no longer you will see me, and again a little (while) and you will see me, ‘ and ‘because I am going to the Father’?” 18 Then they were saying, “What is this, ‘a little (while)’? We do not know.” 19 Jesus knew that they wanted to ask him, and he said to them, “About this are you deliberating with one another because I said, “A little (while) and you will not see me, and again a little (while) and you will see me.’? 20 Truly, truly, I say to you that you will weep and you will lament, but the world will rejoice; you will be sorrowful, but you sorrow will become into joy. 21 Whenever a woman is in travail, she has sorrow because her hour has come; but when she has given birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish on account of the joy that a man has been born into the world. 22 Then you also have sorrow; but again I will see you and your heart will rejoice, and your joy no one takes from you. 23 And on that day you will not ask me anything.

G Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father, he will give to you in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked anything in my name. Ask, and you will receive, in order that your joy may be filled. 25 These things in figures I have spoken to you; the hour comes when no longer in figures I will speak to you, but in plainness about the Father I will proclaim to you. 26 On that day in my name you will ask E and I do not say to you that I will ask G the Father. 27 For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me E and have believed that I came forth from God. G 28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father.

E 29 His disciples say, “Behold, now you speak in plainness, and you do not say a figure (of speech). 30 Now we know that you know all things and do not have need that anyone ask you;… 31 Answered them Jesus…. G 32…And I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33 These things I have spoken to you in order that you may have peace in me. In the world you have affliction, but have courage. I have conquered the world.”
Adam

Post by Adam »

John 17:
G 1 These things Jesus spoke, and G having lifted up his eyes to heaven, he said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son in order that the Son may glorify you. 2 Even as you gave to him authority over all flesh, in order that everything which you have given to him, he may give to them life eternal…. 4 I glorified you on earth, having completed the work which you had given to me in order that I should do.

E 5 And now glorify me, Father, with yourself with the glory which I had with you before the world was. 6 I manifested your name to the men whom you gave to me from the world. Yours they were and to me you have them, and your word they have kept. 7 Now they know that all things whatsoever you have given to me are from you, 8 because the words which you gave to me, I have given to them, and they themselves received, and they know truly that from you I came forth, and they believed that you sent me. 9 I ask for them; not for the world I ask, but for those whom you have given to me, because they are mine, and I have been glorified by them. 11 And no longer I am in the world, and they themselves are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name which you have given to me, in order that they may be one even as (are). 12 When I was with them, I kept them in your name and guarded (them), and no one of them is lost….. 13 And now I am coming to you and G I speak these things in the world in order that they may have my joy filled in themselves. 14 I have given to them your word, and the world hated them because they are not from the world even as I am not from the world. E 15 I do not ask that you take them from the world but (that) you keep them from evil. 16 From the world they are not, even as I am not from the world.
G 17 Sanctify them in the truth. Your word is truth. E 18 Even as you sent me into the world, I also sent them into the world. G 19 And in behalf of them I sanctify myself, in order that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. E 20 And not about these only do I ask, but also about the ones believing on me through their word, 21 in order that all may be one, G Even as you, Father, (are) in me and I in you, in order that they themselves also may be in us, E in order that the world may believe that you sent me. 22 And the glory which you have given to me, I have given to them, in order that they may be one even as we (are) one, G 23 I in them and you in me, in order that they may be completed into one, E in order that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.

G 24 Father, what you have given to me, I wish that where I am, those also may be with me, in order that they may see my glory which you have given to me E because you loved me G before the foundation of the world. Righteous Father, even the world did not know you, but I knew you. E And these knew that you sent me. 26 And I made know to them, and will make known, your name, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Mark 14:
26 When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 27 And Jesus said to them, ‘You will all become deserters; for it is written,
“I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.”
28 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.’

Luke 22:
31 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, 32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren." 33 And he said to him, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.”
Mark 14:
29 Peter said to him, ‘Even though all become deserters, I will not.’ 30 Jesus said to him, ‘Truly I tell you, this day, this very night, before the cock crows twice, you will deny me three times.’ 31 But he said vehemently, ‘Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.’ And all of them said the same.
[I have presented John through John 17 above (mostly Teeple’s G and E) as all from one eyewitness (Nicodemus) and below(mostly Teeple’s S and G) give John Mark as the author of much of the remaining chapters. However, there is some overlap which is simplest to insert here as a short excursus, the preliminaries to the Passion Narrative by John Mark:]

John 11:54 S Then Jesus no longer walked openly among the Jews, but he went away from there to the region near the wilderness.
John 12:1 S Then Jesus six days before the Passover came into Bethany…. 2 Then [we] made a supper for him there….3 Then Mary, having taken a litra of pure, costly nard ointment, anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the aroma of the ointment. 4 And says one of his disciples….5 “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”….7 Then Jesus said, “Permit her, in order that she may keep it for the day of my burial. 8 For the poor you always have with you, but me you do not always have.” 9 Then a large crowd of the Jews…were going and were believing on Jesus.

12 On the morrow a great crowd…having heard that Jesus is coming into Jerusalem, 13 took branches of palms and went out to meet him, and cried out, “Hosanna. Blessed be the one coming in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel.” 14 And Jesus, having found a little donkey, sat upon it.
John 13:1 R And before the feast of the Passover, Jesus, seeing that his hour had come that he should pass from this world says 18 {But look, here with me on the table is the hand of the man who is betraying me.} (Substituting from Luke 22:21)} 37 E Peter says to him…I will lay down my life for you.” 38 Jesus answers, ”Will you lay down your life for me? ...the cock will not crow until you deny me thrice.”!

[John 18 and 19 as from John Mark, continuing from the above short excursus]
John 18:
S 1 …He went …where there was a garden, into which he himself entered and his disciples.
Mark 14:
32 They went to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, ‘Sit here while I pray.’ 33He took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be distressed and agitated. 34 And he said to them, ‘I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and keep awake.’ 35 And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 He said, ‘Abba,* Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want, but what you want.’ 37 He came and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, ‘Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep awake one hour? 38 Keep awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial;* the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.’ 39 And again he went away and prayed, saying the same words. 40 And once more he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy; and they did not know what to say to him. 41 He came a third time and said to them, ‘Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Enough! The hour has come; the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand.’
43 Immediately, while he was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, arrived; and with him there was a crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders. 44 Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, ‘The one I will kiss is the man; arrest him and lead him away under guard.’ 45 So when he came, he went up to him at once and said, ‘Rabbi!’ and kissed him.

[Luke 22:
48 but Jesus said to him, "Judas, would you betray the Son of man with a kiss?" 49 And when those who were about him saw what would follow, they said, "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?" 50 And one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. 51 But Jesus said, "No more of this!" And he touched his ear and healed him. 52 Then Jesus said to the chief priests and officers of the temple and elders, who had come out against him, "Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs?“]

John 18:
….3 Then Judas taking a cohort and servants from the chief priests and Pharisees, comes there with lanterns, torches, and weapons. 4… He says to them,” Whom do you seek?” 5 They answered him, “Jesus the Nazoraean.” He says to them, “I am (he).” …6 Then when he said to them, “I am,” they drew back and fell to the ground. 10… (One) having a sword, drew it and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear….12 Then the cohort and the tribune…seized Jesus and bound him. 13 And they led (him) to… Caiaphas, who was the high priest of that year.
Mark 14:
53* And they led Jesus to the high priest; and all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes were assembled. 54 And Peter had followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest; and he was sitting with the guards, and warming himself at the fire.

18:
G 15 And following Jesus was another disciple E and that disciple was known to the high priest he entered with Jesus into the court of the high priest, 16 but Peter stood outside at the door. Then went out the other disciple, E the one known by the high priest, G and he talked to the doorkeeper, and she led in Peter. “Are you not also of the disciples of this man?” That one says, “I am not.” 18 And the slaves and the servants had stood, having made a charcoal fire because it was cold, and were warming (themselves). And Peter was also with them standing and warming (himself). S 19 Then the high priest asked Jesus about his disciples and about his teaching…. 22 And when he said these things, one of the servants standing by gave a slap to Jesus, saying, “Thus do you answer the high priest?”….

Mark 14:
62 Jesus said, ‘I am; and
“you will see the Son of Man
seated at the right hand of the Power”,
and “coming with the clouds of heaven.” ’
63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, ‘Why do we still need witnesses? 64 You have heard his blasphemy! What is your decision?’ All of them condemned him as deserving death. 65 Some began to spit on him, to blindfold him, and to strike him, saying to him, ‘Prophesy!’ The guards also took him over and beat him.
66 While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant-girls of the high priest came by. 67 When she saw Peter warming himself, she stared at him and said, ‘You also were with Jesus, the man from Nazareth.’ 68 But he denied it, saying, ‘I do not know or understand what you are talking about.’ And he went out into the forecourt.* Then the cock crowed.* 69 And the servant-girl, on seeing him, began again to say to the bystanders, ‘This man is one of them.’ 70 But again he denied it. Then after a little while the bystanders again said to Peter, ‘Certainly you are one of them; for you are a Galilean.’ 71 But he began to curse, and he swore an oath, ‘I do not know this man you are talking about.’ 72 At that moment the cock crowed for the second time. Then Peter remembered that Jesus had said to him, ‘Before the cock crows twice, you will deny me three times.’ And he broke down and wept.

John 18:
25…Then they said to him, “Are you not also of his disciples?” That one denied and said, “I am not.” 26 Says one of the slaves of the high priest,… G “Did I not see you in the garden with him?” 27 Then again Peter denied, and immediately a cock crowed. 28 Then they lead Jesus from Caiaphas into the praetorium. And it was early. And they themselves did not enter into the praetorium, in order that they might not be defiled but might eat the Passover. 29 Then Pilate went outside to them and says, “What accusation do you bear against this man?

Mark 15:
3 Then the chief priests accused him of many things. 4 Pilate asked him again, ‘Have you no answer? See how many charges they bring against you.’ 5 But Jesus made no further reply, so that Pilate was amazed.
John 18:
G 31 Then Pilate said to them, “You take him and according to your law judge (him).” The Jews said to him, “It is not lawful for us to kill anyone.”….33 Then Pilate entered again into the praetorium and called Jesus and said to him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” 34 Jesus answered, “Do you say this from yourself, or did others tell you about me?” 35 Pilate answered, “I am not a Jew, am I? Your nation and the chief priests delivered to me. What did you do?” Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom was from this world, my servants would fight in order that I might not be delivered to the Jews. But now my kingdom is not from here.” 37 Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say (rightly) that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, in order that I may testify to the truth. Everyone who is from the truth hears my voice.” 38 Pilate says to him, “What is truth?”

Mark 15:
6 Now at the festival he used to release a prisoner for them, anyone for whom they asked. 7 Now a man called Barabbas was in prison with the rebels who had committed murder during the insurrection. 8 So the crowd came and began to ask Pilate to do for them according to his custom. 9 Then he answered them, ‘Do you want me to release for you the King of the Jews?’ 10 For he realized that it was out of jealousy that the chief priests had handed him over. 11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release Barabbas for them instead. 12 Pilate spoke to them again, ‘Then what do you wish me to do* with the man you call* the King of the Jews?’ 13 They shouted back, ‘Crucify him!’

John 19:
S 1 Then Pilate took Jesus and scourged (him) 2 and the soldiers having woven a crown of thorns, places it on (his) head, and put on him a purple robe. 3 And they were coming to him and were saying, “Hail, king of the Jews!” and they gave to him blows. 4 Pilate says to them, “You take him and crucify (him), for I do not find guilt in him.” 5 Then Jesus came outside, wearing the thorny crown and the purple robe….
G 9 And he entered the praetorium…and says to Jesus, “Whence are you?” But Jesus gave no answer to him. 10 Pilate says to him, “
You are not speaking to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?” 11 Answered him Jesus, “You would not have any authority over me unless it had been given to you from above. “….

S 12 Upon this Pilate was seeking to release him. But the Jews cried out saying, “If you release this one, you are not a friend of Caesar. Everyone making himself a king opposes Caesar.” 13 Then Pilate, having heard these words, led Jesus outside and sat on the judgment seat in the place called “Stone Pavement”….14…The hour was about the sixth. And he says to the Jews, “Behold your king! 15 Then those cried out, “Take (him) away! Crucify him! Pilate says to them, “Shall I crucify your king?” The chief priests answered, “We do not have a king except Caesar.” 16 Then he delivered him to them in order that he might be crucified. 17 Then they took Jesus and bearing his own cross, he went out into the place called “Skull”,…18 where they crucified him, and with him two others, one on each side and Jesus in the middle.

Mark 15:
27 And with him they crucified two bandits, one on his right and one on his left.* 29 Those who passed by derided* him, shaking their heads and saying, ‘Aha! You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, 30 save yourself, and come down from the cross!’ 31 In the same way the chief priests, along with the scribes, were also mocking him among themselves and saying, ‘He saved others; he cannot save himself. 32 Let the Messiah,* the King of Israel, come down from the cross now, so that we may see and believe.’ Those who were crucified with him also taunted him.

John 19:
19 And Pilate wrote also a title and put (it) on the cross. And it was having been written, “Jesus the Nazoraean, the king of the Jews.”….
21 Then the chief priests of the Jews were saying to Pilate, “Write not ‘the king of the Jews’, but that that one said, “I am the king of the Jews.” 22 Pilate answered, “What I have written, I have written.” 23Then the soldiers, when they crucified Jesus, took his garments and made four parts, a part of each soldier, and (they took his) tunic. But the tunic was seamless, woven from the top through the whole (tunic). 24 Then they said to each other, “Let us not split it, but choose about it by lot whose it shall be.” ….25…And stood beside the cross of Jesus his mother, and the sister of his mother, Mary the (wife) of Clopas and Mary the Magdalene….

28 After this Jesus, knowing that already all things had been completed,…says, “I thirst.” 29 A vessel full of vinegar was sitting there; then having put on hyssop a sponge full of vinegar, they held (it) to his mouth. 30 Then when he was receiving he vinegar, he said, “It is completed”; and having bowed his head, he gave up (his) spirit….
38..Joseph from Arimathea…asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus.... 40 Then they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen cloths with spices, even as it is the custom with Jews to bury. 41 And in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb…42 Then there...because the tomb was near, they laid Jesus.

Mark 15:
42 When evening had come, and since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, 43 Joseph of Arimathea, a respected member of the council, who was also himself waiting expectantly for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. 44 Then Pilate wondered if he were already dead; and summoning the centurion, he asked him whether he had been dead for some time. 45 When he learned from the centurion that he was dead, he granted the body to Joseph. 46 Then Joseph* bought a linen cloth, and taking down the body,* wrapped it in the linen cloth, and laid it in a tomb that had been hewn out of the rock. He then rolled a stone against the door of the tomb. 47 Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses saw where the body* was laid.

[From my own “Resurrection Sources” in Noesis #181 June 2006 pg. 21. New Jerusalem Bible. Switching from Q-Twelve-Source as used above for Markan passages. ]

John 20:
1 And on the first (day) of the week Mary the Magdalene comes to the tomb early, it being still dark, and she sees the stone having been taken away from the tomb. 2 Then she runs and comes to [us] Simon Peter and to another disciple…and says to them, “They have taken the Lord from the tomb , and we do not know where they laid him.” 3 Then Peter went forth and another disciple and they were coming to the tomb. 4 And the two were running together. And the other disciple ran faster than Peter and came first to the tomb. 5 And having stooped (down), he sees lying (there) the linen cloths;…8 Then went in the other disciple…and saw and believed….11 And Mary stood at the tomb weeping. Then when she was weeping, she peered into the tomb. 12 and she sees two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 And those say to her, “Woman, why do you weep?” She says to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they laid him. 14 Having said these things, she turned back and sees Jesus standing….
16 Jesus says to her, “Mary.” Having turned, that one says to him…”Rabbouni,” which says “teacher.” 17 Jesus says to her, “Touch me not, for not yet have I ascended to the Father; but go to my brethren and tell then, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father…

19 Then when it was evening on that day, the first (day) of the week, and when the doors had been closed where the disciples were on account of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in (their) midst and says to them, “Peace to you.” 20…Then the disciples rejoiced (at) seeing the Lord….
22…he breathed on them and says to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven to them; if you retain (the sins) of any, they have been retained.”

26 And after eight days his disciples were inside, and Jesus comes when the doors had been closed and stood in (their) midst and said, “Peace to you.” 27 Next he says to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and put your hand (here) and put (it) into my side, and be not unbelieving, but believing.
FINIS
[The breakthrough here is to recognize a clear eyewitness account here that is probably larger than the first “diary” notations that have parallels in the Synoptics, perhaps as few as verses 1, 19, 22-23, 26-27. The new paradigm revolves, however, about related eyewitness accounts by each of three women, not necessarily overwriting some as a different eyewitness. It is possible that a complete account from Mary Magdalene in John 20 has been radically truncated (only one verse out of the first 18 surviving) and overwritten in Luke by Joanna’s version and Simon’s Walk to Emmaus. New first-hand eyewitness accounts in Greek replaced somebody’s else’s Aramaic account. What I am presenting here, however, is an expansion in John 20 in which John Mark’s diary adds in John 20:2-5, 8, and perhaps Mary’s story in verses 11 to 18. Most of John 20:1-18 is very early, whether or not it was all available towards the Synoptics. Clearly many of the later verses were available for incorporation within Luke 24:36, 39, and 42-43.]
Adam

Post by Adam »

My posting above here in Early Aramaic Gospels is not intended to close off discussion, nor to be an all-or-nothing proposition. Can each of these three sources be seriously presented as written mostly while Jesus was still alive? Are the three sources viable as listed, or do they split into separate parts? I do hold (as Dennis MacDonald has proven) that the Q Source does extend into Mark, but does this readily include the extra narrative in Mark that I call the Twelve Source? In any case these narrative portions are intrinsically likely to have been added later, though presumably early enough to give me some justification to include them among the initially Aramaic writings (identifiable by the looseness of parallel translations into Greek in the comparable Marcan and Lucan passages).

Similarly in John do the Discourse passages here really cohere? I carefully identified which passages Howard M. Teeple listed as “G” against those he labelled “E”. Scholars like Robert Kysar support my lumping of the two. However, would rigorous separation undermine my argument that the two changes of viewpoint really mean that an eyewitness wrote this while Jesus was alive and the writer never transformed his notes or writings back into a coherent whole?

I also have a complement to Early Aramaic Gospels that presents the passages written by the other four eyewitnesses I acknowledge. Most were written first in Greek and thus more likely later. In the case of the Special L material, that it appears in only one gospel makes it more likely later, even though it likely was written first in Aramaic (per James R. Edwards and others).
That complement does not include all the rest of the gospels. The Infancy Narratives were most likely added later, thus too later to have eyewitnesses of events thirty years earlier. I see no indication that the special Matthean M material came from an eyewitness, nor the material Matthew shares only with Mark. The Gospel of John seems to include redactional material. Some scholars present this as anti-Docetist in nature. It thus may react against Luke and the Long Ending of Mark.

I have not included John 21 in the text above even though I now think it was very early, perhaps the lost ending of Mark. It does not fit as from John Mark because it is a Galilean event. It would fit better with the other four later eyewitness writings.