Can Richard Carrier be trusted to write the truth?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ulan

Re: Can Richard Carrier be trusted to write the truth?

Post by Ulan »

John T wrote:"The Inanna myth doesn't contain any atonement for sins obviously,..."Ulan

So, after all that explaining how I didn't understand the argument, you admit Ehrman was right all along?
No, because he generalized from the specific, which was Carrier's argument. Ehrman didn't acknowledge that the elements were, in fact, there in the pagan myths. Ehrman defeated an argument no (?) mythicist makes (at least not Carrier or Doherty). Also known as "straw man" argument.

You make a similar straw man argument here, as you take the Inanna myth for all there is. It isn't.
John T

Post by John T »

"Inanna myth, where the goddess Inanna went to the underworld, was killed there and nailed to a wooden pole, where she was exhibited for three days and then resurrected by Enki."..Ulan

Where are those elements you talk of in the Inanna myth?
Is this what you are talking about:

"The afflicted woman [Inanna] was turned into a corpse. And the corpse was hung on a hook."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inanna

Jesus was turned into a corpse and then hung on a hook for 3 days and nights? Once again the mythicists are seeing things that just aren't there from specific to generalization.
There is no there, there, only a hope based on a delusion.
Can you provide a better example that Carrier uses to prove Ehrman wrong?

Well, I'm waiting.

Sincerely,
John T
Last edited by John T on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
theterminator

Post by theterminator »

"Once again the mythicists are seeing things that just aren't there from specific to generalization.
There is no there, there, only a hope based on a delusion."

How come christians can see jesus in ancient hebrew animal sacrifices? If u don't believe your pagan flesh god was murdered for livestock , why fit him in Jewish animal sacrifices?
Last edited by theterminator on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

John T wrote:Where are those elements you talk of in the Inanna myth?
Is this what you are talking about:

"The afflicted woman [Inanna] was turned into a corpse. And the corpse was hung on a hook."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inanna
And after three days, the goddess Inanna was resurrected.

Which shows that the idea of a dying god who was resurrected after three days is there. Which you denied further up in this thread. Where you were obviously wrong.
John T wrote:Once again the mythicists are seeing things that just aren't there from specific to generalization.
There is no there, there, only a hope based on a delusion.
First, I'm not a "mythicist". Ironically, at the same time, I get derided as an unteachable historicist in a parallel thread.
Second, I see a massive lack of background knowledge in your case. Unfortunately, Ehrman did a very poor job at actually explaining a mythicist position in his book, or he picks the easy targets (even Robert M. Price finds the Freke/Gandy ideas very sloppy). Which means, if you really want to know what he is writing about, I guess you will have to do much reading. Ehrman skipped on that part.
John T

Post by John T »

"[H]ow come christians can see jesus in ancient hebrew animal sacrifices?"...Ulan

The argument is; Christians did not get their model of the messiah based on pagan myths but from within the Hebrew religion.

Try as you might to conflate the two, there is no there, there.

Perhaps it would benefit you to actually read the book, "Did Jesus Exist?" instead of trusting Carrier to write the truth about it.
Just a thought for you and all those mythicists out there.

I think I'm done for the day.
Until next time, goodnight!

Sincerely,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

John T wrote:"[H]ow come christians can see jesus in ancient hebrew animal sacrifices?"...Ulan
John T
That wasn't me.
John T

Post by John T »

Ulan wrote:
John T wrote:"[H]ow come christians can see jesus in ancient hebrew animal sacrifices?"...Ulan
John T
That wasn't me.
MY apologizes, it was theterminator, right?

Sorry about that.

By the way I take you (Ulan) for a Gnostic, if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry about that as well.

Sincerely,
John T
Ulan

Post by Ulan »

John T wrote:MY apologizes, it was theterminator, right? Sorry about that.
No problem.
John T wrote:By the way I take you (Ulan) for a Gnostic, if I'm wrong, then I'm sorry about that as well.
No, I'm not a Gnostic. You may get the impression, because I was looking more closely at our oldest canonical Christian texts, Paul's genuine letters and gMark, and I found things I didn't expect. Which, in turn, highlights some connection to Marcionite theology, similar to some proto-gnostic undertones in gJohn, where you can find the Demiurge. I'm just interested in how religions start.
Last edited by Ulan on Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theterminator

Post by theterminator »

"e argument is; Christians did not get their model of the messiah based on pagan myths but from within the Hebrew religion."

Can you explain how you see your lamb god in animal sacrifices?
stevencarrwork

Post by stevencarrwork »

theterminator wrote:"e argument is; Christians did not get their model of the messiah based on pagan myths but from within the Hebrew religion."

Can you explain how you see your lamb god in animal sacrifices?
Hebrews is pretty clear about where this atonement took place. Hebrews 8:5 explains that the earthly place where sacrifices were offered was a shadow of the heavenly one, where Jesus was sacrificed.