Acts of Andrew and Paul [English translation?]

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Acts of Andrew and Paul [English translation?]

Post by Leucius Charinus »

The Apocryphal New Testament: A Collection of Apocryphal Christian Literature in an English Translation by J. K. Elliott makes mention of a 9th century Coptic "Acts of Andrew and Paul". See p.243. By its absence of mention, although a French and Italian translation exists for this text, aside from two English extracts and/or summaries by Tischendorf and James, there is no complete English translation.

I mention this in order to alert Roger again of the possibility of a further publication - either online or in book form or both - of another Non Canonical Act, by means of either a French to English or an Italian to English translation. Three cheers for the Ongoing Roger Show and the immense importance of the freedom of access to the Public Domain. I just hope the Public Domain stays public in the decades to come, when Roger and I (and many of us here) will be on the other side of the grass and the daisies, and the youth of humanity can tackle the problems inherent in deciphering the mystery of the historical and political origins of the canonical and the non canonical literature.

The internet is the high technology of the 21st century, just as the codex was the high technology of the 4th century. All its going to take is Lord Acton's maxim to run its course with a military minded government in order for people with the mentality of gangsters to treat the internet as their private control mechanism for a tool of a new world order, and the public domain will be lost (once again). Sorry about the rant.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Roger Pearse

Re: Acts of Andrew and Paul [English translation?]

Post by Roger Pearse »

The text exists in two fragments in Coptic, published with a French translation. I could probably turn the French into English, if someone would care to obtain the article (I'm about to get on a plane, so can't do it myself).

X. Jacques, "Les deux fragments conservés des 'Actes d'André et de Paul'", in: Orientalia, New Series, volume 38 (1969), pages 187-213.

The Orientalia journal seems to be issued by the Pontifical Bible Institute in Rome:

http://www.biblico.it/periodicals.html
http://www.gbpress.net/index.php?option ... 42&lang=it

There is a reference to the article in Schneemelcher p.450:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=v6Iq ... &q&f=false

All the best,

Roger Pearse
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Annual reminder.

A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

I had forgotten about this (and I still don't have that article).

I have asked Anthony Alcock if he fancies doing a translation of the Coptic, and cc'd it to Alin Suciu.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Dr Alcock is willing, if I can provide him with the article (which also contains a critical text). I've asked on my blog if anyone has access.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Thanks, Roger! It's great what you do to provide access to these texts in the digital age.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

You're very welcome. I always feel that if any of us can put primary materials online, then that will always be useful; whereas we have a surfeit of opinions. I'm still commissioning texts, although there's a pause at the moment while I find another contract.

Now .... I'm having difficulty getting hold of the publication (which is ISSN 0030-5367). Apparently it's in the "ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials" product, but I can't find out which institutions have this? Does anyone have access via their university to this thing? (The "ATLA Religion Database" is not the same product) Or know where there is a list of universities that do?

If I knew which universities had it, I could ask correspondents: I've just written to Jim Davila of Paleojudaica, but I suspect he will be too busy.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

No reply from Jim Davila. Oh well. I'll pursue this.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

FWIW Cambridge University Library has the physical bound journal (at P849.b.1.44) held in West Four.

Andrew Criddle
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Thank you. I have placed an ILL but if I get up there first ...