Clement's Letter to Theodore in unicode Greek

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
DCHindley

Clement's Letter to Theodore in unicode Greek

Post by DCHindley »

I thought that the unicode Greek text of Clement's Letter to Theodore was available online at a web site maintained by Wieland Willker (a Chemical Engineer at the U. of Bremen who is a well respected amateur NT text critic).

http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Secr ... _home.html

However, all links to this site are now dead. As Wieland himself is not dead, I don't know if this means he has changed his mind about it (he used to be a rather neutral observer amid all the pro & anti-Smith hype) or that the space has been reorganized by his University (the subject is, after all, outside of the university's academic sphere).

Anyhow, I found that the Greek text at Ben C Smith's website, and elsewhere, was actually ascii text with an E_greek font. However, it was unaccented, so I copied & pasted it to MS Word and saved the file as a PDF. Then I opened the PDF with ABBY Finereader 11, "read" it into OCR form, and saved this as a plain text Word file. The resulting text is Unicode (UTF-8).

Since Ben had transcribed the text line for line from the text in Morton Smith's book Clement of Alexandria and a Secret Gospel of Mark (Harvard University Press, 1973), I found a couple of English translations online (one is Morton Smith's translation, and another was an independent translation by Robert Conner (who normally specializes in ancient and medieval magic), and created a three column table, with a separate row for each Greek line, slightly adapting the two translations to represent the sense of the text in the Greek lines.

In short, a quite helpful little resource for detailed study this fragment of a purported letter to Theodore by Clement of Alexandria, discovered written by hand in the blank end pages of a dog-eared printed book by Isaac Voss which successfully, it seems, discerned the genuine and non-genuine letters of Ignatius of Antioch.

This "masterfully crafted resource"* can be yours, now, for a mere $255.95 US currency, wired to my Swiss bank account number ... naaaah! Tell you what, I'll send it - free - to any takers (just pay shipping and handling of $255.95 US). :clap:

Seriously, the file as described above does exist (I can convert it to PDF or RTF if you wish not to "dirty the hands" with a DOC file) and is free. I'll also see if Ben C Smith, who himself agrees with critics who think that Morton Smith fabricated it, wants to have a copy at his Text Excavation website.

DCH

*As communicated psychically by M Smith himself via Ouija Board séance session October 10, 2014. I know it was him because the communication session ended immediately the moment I tossed a pinch of Morton salt over my shoulder.
Stephan Huller

Re: Clement's Letter to Theodore in unicode Greek

Post by Stephan Huller »

the accented Greek text is available at the Biblical Archaeological Review website. search "Tselikas"
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Stephan Huller wrote:the accented Greek text is available at the Biblical Archaeological Review website. search "Tselikas"
As Egg-Head said on the campy Batman TV series from the 1960s: "Egg-selent" Thanks for that ... it is indeed in unicode.
The PDF is here:
http://dbcfaa79b34c8f5dfffa-7d3a62c6351 ... f-text.pdf

I may go back and change it, but whew, what a job that would be!

DCH
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

You can still read Wieland Wilker's pages at
https://web.archive.org/web/20130112014 ... _home.html

Andrew Criddle
RecoveringScot

Post by RecoveringScot »

DCHindley wrote:
As Egg-Head said on the campy Batman TV series from the 1960s: "Egg-selent"
To be strictly accurate, that had nothing to do with 'Batman', but was Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's 'Thunderbirds' parody from their British TV show 'Not Only..but Also', called 'Superthunderstingcar'. There's a video on YouTube.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

RecoveringScot wrote:
DCHindley wrote:
To be strictly accurate, that had nothing to do with 'Batman', but was Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's 'Thunderbirds' parody from their British TV show 'Not Only..but Also', called 'Superthunderstingcar'. There's a video on YouTube.
I don't doubt that the parody you cited used the phrase, but it was definitely Vincent Price as "Egg Head" on the TV series that I remember. All the super villains liked to use catch phrases to emphasize their character. Mr Freeze always said "Cool." The Riddler always said "Riddle me this ..." etc. Since parodies always seize on an eccentricity and then hype it to beejesus (that's comedy, Dana Carvey tells us - you should see his caricature of George Herbert Walker Bush, the 1st Bush president), I would not be at all surprised that they took over these goofy catch phrases.

Why do I suddenly have a hankering for egg salad ... ? :scratch:

DCH
RecoveringScot

Post by RecoveringScot »

DCHindley wrote:
RecoveringScot wrote:
DCHindley wrote:
I don't doubt that the parody you cited used the phrase, but it was definitely Vincent Price as "Egg Head" on the TV series that I remember. All the super villains liked to use catch phrases to emphasize their character. Mr Freeze always said "Cool." The Riddler always said "Riddle me this ..." etc. Since parodies always seize on an eccentricity and then hype it to beejesus (that's comedy, Dana Carvey tells us - you should see his caricature of George Herbert Walker Bush, the 1st Bush president), I would not be at all surprised that they took over these goofy catch phrases.

Why do I suddenly have a hankering for egg salad ... ? :scratch:

DCH
Ah, apologies. While I have seen many Batman episodes, I didn't remember the V. Price character. My father met 'The Penguin' from the series, Burgess Meredith, on board the 'Queen Mary' when on route to Canada from England for RAF training in 1943. Isn't life odd?