Two New Articles on Testimonium Flavianum

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: Two New Articles on Testimonium Flavianum

Post by andrewcriddle »

ficino wrote:On the old board, I can't remember his name now - aa5468? Anyway, he used to insist that early references to Christos/Chrestus can't be taken on first face as references to "the Jesus cult." E.g. the passages in Pliny's letters cannot be assumed to refer to "the Jesus cult." At first I was surprised, because I always just assumed that Christ = Jesus. But that's a point at issue. We may not have other obvious candidates, but we don't know that "Christ" is Jesus of Nazareth in pagan sources of the 1st cent. and early 2nd cent, do we?
Given the parallels between the organization rituals and practices of the group dealt with by Pliny, and our evidence from early Christian sources, it seems most unlikely that we are dealing with two entirely separate groups with a common name.

There is a legitimate (but unanswerable) question as to how far the group dealt with by Pliny would have been considered orthodox by say Irenaeus, but it is a separate question.

Andrew Criddle
MattMorales

Post by MattMorales »

spin wrote:You can do the math yourself. The basic structure as evinced in English is [relation] of [name], eg "the mother of Mary" or "the king of Siam". These will be in the vast preponderance in Greek syntax, "the of-Mary mother" and "the of-Siam king". (One notable exception is "son of Bill", as the Greek rarely uses "son", using just the genitive, so "Phil the son of Bill" becomes "Phil of-Bill", though irregularly some now is inserted with irregular results.) Pick a book of AJ and see how long it takes to find an exception.
I had a little time this weekend, so I decided to revisit this topic. As my mission is to gain a better understanding of early Christianity, I am willing to engage an argument, even if the person who presents it is utterly disrespectful.

The argument is that the Greek "brother of Jesus" is not characteristic of Josephus. It is said we should find "of-Jesus brother," and we do find many examples of this syntax throughout AJ, yet in the very same book 20 of "Antiquities" we read:

πρὸς τούτοις δὲ καὶ οἱ παῖδες Ἰούδα τοῦ Γαλιλαίου ἀνήχθησαν τοῦ τὸν λαὸν ἀπὸ Ῥωμαίων ἀποστήσαντος Κυρινίου τῆς Ἰουδαίας τιμητεύοντος, ὡς ἐν τοῖς πρὸ τούτων δεδηλώκαμεν, Ἰάκωβος καὶ Σίμων, οὓς ἀνασταυρῶσαι προσέταξεν Ἀλέξανδρος.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.01.0145

Here, we find not "of-Judas of Galilee sons...Jacob and Simon" or "Jacob and Simon of Judas" but "sons of Judas of Galilee...Jacob and Simon..."
If we can point to this style used in the very same book in which "brother of Jesus called Christ" appears, I think it is safe to say any argument that the syntax is not "Josephan" dissolves. Perhaps this is a technique used when Josephus adds a qualifier such as "called Christ" or "the Galilean" or perhaps it is just something he slips into in this book.

Furthermore, this passage also serves as evidence against the (already weak) pride-of-place grammatical argument, since Jacob and Simon, who are currently under discussion in the section, are named later in the passage than the already-related Judas. Thus, it need not be a Christian purposefully/unconciously putting Jesus' name before James, but perhaps something Josephus does when dealing with a more-famous relative--and we can safely assume "Christos", despite his obscure origins, was more known than James in Rome by the 90s CE. Or perhaps the order of names reflects no intentions on the part of the author at all.
cienfuegos

Post by cienfuegos »

MattMorales wrote:Spin:

It appears I am wasting my time in attempting a respectful discourse with you. As it seems you are parroting Carrier's argument regarding the creeping marginalia, there is in fact nothing to say that has not already been put more eloquently by more learned scholars than myself. I do not like slapping labels on people, but I am unaware of anyone rejecting the Antiquities XX reference who does not subscribe to a mythical Jesus. I have nothing against mythicism per se, but I do have a problem with zealots who, in subjects as hazy as this, are arrogant enough to not acknowledge the legitimacy of the opposition.
DCH pointed out that Josephus nowhere defines the term "messiah" for his Roman audience. I think this is a significant point to incorporate into your analysis of XX. If Josephus referred to James as the brother of the messiah Jesus, how would his readers know what he is talking about. Look at how he refers to the messiah prophecy when he relates it to Vespasian. He doesn't use the term but calls it "an ambiguos oracle" that "one from their country" will one day "rule the world."
ficino

Post by ficino »

As I discovered, in support of cienfuegos and DCH, the TLG shows Josephus using forms of the word "christos" only in the two disputed passages and in AJ 8, where he's describing interior walls of Solomon's palace:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1095&p=23675#p23675

Very interesting.
steve43

Post by steve43 »

Peter Kirby wrote:Okay, there are those ideas too.

The strongest hypothesis may be the simplest- Josephus didn't mention Jesus.
I am surprised.

I thought you were a reasonable man!
MattMorales

Post by MattMorales »

cienfuegos wrote: DCH pointed out that Josephus nowhere defines the term "messiah" for his Roman audience. I think this is a significant point to incorporate into your analysis of XX. If Josephus referred to James as the brother of the messiah Jesus, how would his readers know what he is talking about. Look at how he refers to the messiah prophecy when he relates it to Vespasian. He doesn't use the term but calls it "an ambiguos oracle" that "one from their country" will one day "rule the world."
ficino wrote:As I discovered, in support of cienfuegos and DCH, the TLG shows Josephus using forms of the word "christos" only in the two disputed passages and in AJ 8, where he's describing interior walls of Solomon's palace:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1095&p=23675#p23675

Very interesting.
Valid point, and thanks for the link, ficino. My current thoughts on Josephus and "Christos" are somewhat reflected in some of the earlier posts in this thread. In short, starting with Paul's letters (and seen also in Tacitus, Pliny, and possibly Suetonius), it seems the Hellenist tendency is to use "Christos" not as a title, but as a name. As a name, there need be no explanation given. Granted, Josephus would not have wanted to give an explanation either way. He has already connected Vespasian to the Star Prophecy. The word, "Christos," by itself is harmless--as has been pointed out by the reference to AJ 8. If Josephus were to connect Christos to said prophecy, whose (originally Jewish) following was still around and causing controversy, then he would have likely run into problems.

It's also not so clear how common the term "Christ" was in reference to a deliverer of Israel in the first century CE. Neil Godfrey had an interesting Vridar post on this topic (and while I don't agree with all of Neil's views, I commend him on being a hell of an information compiler). Jesus (or his followers) possibly "ruined" it for people by claiming it as an identifier. We see it in the Dead Sea Scrolls and later in Rabbinic Judaism, but other aspiring agitators may have adapted their own unique monikers, as Bar Kosevah did with "Son of the Star."
Last edited by MattMorales on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MattMorales

Post by MattMorales »

Sorry, double post. :oops:
ficino

Post by ficino »

MattMorales wrote: it seems the Hellenist tendency is to use "Christos" not as a title, but as a name. As a name, there need be no explanation given. Granted, Josephus would not have wanted to give an explanation either way. He has already connected Vespasian to the Star Prophecy.
It's not used as a name in Josephus, though. In both the TF and at AJ 20.200, we have "the Christ." That phrase is not defined by Josephus. In my mind, this is a big strike against its authenticity.
The word, "Christos," by itself is harmless--as has been pointed out by the reference to AJ 8.
Regarding AJ 8, you can't really capitalize the C. χριστὀν there is just an adjective describing the stone of the wall in the palace. You can't see the stone because it's χριστὀν, i.e. plastered over and decorated with paintings.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Which resolves to "white-washed"

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

steve43 wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:Okay, there are those ideas too.

The strongest hypothesis may be the simplest- Josephus didn't mention Jesus.
I am surprised.

I thought you were a reasonable man!

What is it about this subject that makes everyone an asshole?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown