Commentary on the "Gospel" of St Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
drg55

Commentary on the "Gospel" of St Paul

Post by drg55 »

The “Gospel” of St. Paul
Commentary
by David R. Griffiths

I created a “Gospel” of St. Paul based on the available quotes from him about Jesus http://tinyurl.com/kjgjxc4
This is my commentary on the significance of it.

Prologue Galatians 1: 6-9

Here Paul issues a warning against heresy. This can be seen in a context where initially there were no texts, we can see a progression when Jesus's life was immediate there were verbal stories (also most Christians were illiterate except for elite converts); then as a generation passed on these stories were written, then more theology was added to the narrative, and finally the story was “perfected” a logic was applied such that if Jesus was God he must have had a miraculous birth etc. and finally there were battles for orthodoxy among varying theologies.

But at this early stage of the Church there was a great deal of prophesy, Paul himself based his theology on his revelations and cared little for information from others who might have met Jesus. He states in 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 that women must wear a covering over their hair “when they pray or prophesies” (and Paul was clearly no misogynist). Thus the early Church was chaotic with fragmentary information and revelation (for good or ill): Paul wished to maintain his control on theology.

Birth of Jesus Romans 1:3

Clearly as covered in the preceding paragraphs there was no virgin birth. It is interesting that Matthew has a bet each way, with a full genealogy from Abraham through to Joseph Matthew 1:1-17, and then follows with another narrative of the “virgin birth” Matthew 1:18-25. It was necessary that the Jewish Messiah was descended from David (but they started from Abraham for good measure). When theology made Jesus not just the messiah, but God eternal, another version was added, but they kept both!

Baptism Romans 6:3-4

This comment, one of many by Paul, confirms the origin of Christianity in the work of John the Baptist and his community.

Disciples Galatians 1: 11-17

As previously mentioned Paul based his theology on his own revelation. But this passage confirms the existence of the Disciples of Jesus. In fact Paul argued with the Disciples (Galatians 2:11-14) over doctrine, something that is glossed over by Luke in Acts 15. In Galatians 2:10 Paul mentions that they asked him to remember the poor, which he was “eager to do”. However it seems Paul did not introduce a commune as is mentioned in Acts 3:44 where all who believed “had all things in common”, or Acts 5 where a man named Ananias who sold a piece of property and with his wife's knowledge kept some of it back, both were struck dead Acts 5:11 “And great fear seized the whole church..”.

Teaching Romans 15:8

These passages are notable for how little that is concrete about Jesus Paul passed on, reiterating again that prophesy was primary. In this light perhaps later embellishments to the story of Jesus were perceived by their authors as revelation (putting the best possible spin on matters).

Last Supper 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

What is notable here is that Paul says “I received from the Lord”. Personally I have always been sceptical about this “new covenant” and it is clear it is Paul's invention. The Romans accused Christians of cannibalism, and it is an appropriate description, as cannibalism is not so much about food as about mystical power. Frankly I can't imagine Jesus or any person issuing such an instruction to eat their body or drink their blood. Perhaps its an ancestral memory that finds resonance. (Apologies if anyone is offended, these are my conclusions.)

We can regard the canonic Gospels as stitching together fragmentary information from multiple sources into a narrative. As they are written later they are not primary source material.

Crucifixion 1 Corinthians 2:2

All in all Paul has an obsession with death. But these passages do confirm the life of Jesus in his death and some may take comfort from that.

The resurrection of the dead 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

This appears to be a factual statement of the theology of Jesus. The eschatological statement of portending transformation is common even today in Jewish settlers, extreme Moslems and various sects.

In summary Paul's Gospel tells us of the existence of Jesus, his connection with the Baptist sect and his belief in an impending end of times. And his death and the subsequent enoblement of him and construction of a theology.

David R. Griffiths
(c) 2014