Were the authors of the Greek NT Jewish?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
outhouse

Re: Were the authors of the Greek NT Jewish?

Post by outhouse »

Leucius Charinus wrote:Thanks for the responses ...
outhouse wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:It might pay to try to discern what type of Jewishness one might find - Judaism had been & was increasingly diversifying by the late 1st & 2nd centuries AD/CE
I would have to agree.

Define 1rst century Judaism, then we can address the OP in context.
outhouse wrote:Part of the trouble is who is calling who a Jew.

Why don't we start with the so-called expert opinions of contemporary scholarship?

Do the mainstream biblical scholars subscribe to the hypothesis that the authors of the Greek NT were Jewish?

Is there any consensus on this question?

LC
You understand the authors are unknown.

How will you tell the difference between Proselyte and Jew
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bertie wrote:Diversity or no diversity, circumcision was still a pretty strong marker of who was in and who was out in this time period, no?

Debatable. But I would place those that went that far wanted to be considered Jewish. But it wasn't the end all of the definition

Pauls Judaism has and is still debated. So knowing what unknown authors will be tough

Some Hellenistic Jews did not have to do anything but swear off pagan deities.

Proselytes could be clipped and still be members of different assemblies of Proselytes.

There were divisions between Hellenistic Judaism and Proselytes and born and raised Jews such as Aramaic Jews.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Blood wrote:Scholarship was/is all over the map on this question.
Agreed.

Seems like the majority use the vague term "Jewish Christian" and are happy not to get into details for the first hundred years.

You get different scholars on each side that posit their opinion as you state.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

outhouse wrote:You understand the authors are unknown.

AFAIK not only are the authors unknown, but the century of their authorship is also unknown.
How will you tell the difference between Proselyte and Jew
IDK.

You tell me.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Leucius Charinus

Bertie wrote:Diversity or no diversity, circumcision was still a pretty strong marker of who was in and who was out in this time period, no?
IDK.
I think a conventional (secular) listing of the NT books authored by Jewish-Christians would be:

Matthew, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Romans, Philippians, Galatians, Philemon, 1 Thessalonians, James, Revelation.
Thanks for that list.

The missing books from this list, are they listed as not authored by Jewish-Christians?

Who authored them if not Jewish-Christians?

Thanks

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Leucius Charinus

outhouse wrote:
Blood wrote:Scholarship was/is all over the map on this question.
Agreed.

Seems like the majority use the vague term "Jewish Christian" and are happy not to get into details for the first hundred years.

You get different scholars on each side that posit their opinion as you state.

That's amazing.

Thanks

LC
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Leucius Charinus wrote:You tell me.
You cannot tell the difference.

Why do you think Pauls Judaism is debated?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Leucius Charinus wrote:The missing books from this list, are they listed as not authored by Jewish-Christians?

Who authored them if not Jewish-Christians?
Proselytes and gentiles, who had recently joined the movement.
Thanks for that list.
Does not do any justice to anything.

The answer is we don't know, and the answer will remain that way due to lack of credible information.

That is why the vague description in use today stands.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Hi,
Leucius Charinus wrote:What is the evidence for and against the hypothesis that the authors of the canonical books of the Greek new testament were Jewish. What are some of the discussion points concerning the hypothesis that the authors of the canonical books of the Greek new testament were Jewish.

That Luke wrote to the high priest Theophilus is one major point.

Steven Avery
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Steven Avery wrote:Hi,
Leucius Charinus wrote:What is the evidence for and against the hypothesis that the authors of the canonical books of the Greek new testament were Jewish. What are some of the discussion points concerning the hypothesis that the authors of the canonical books of the Greek new testament were Jewish.

That Luke wrote to the high priest Theophilus is one major point.

Steven Avery
Unsubstantiated.

Try again?