Is the Rejection of Jewish Origin for Xristianity = Laziness

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: Is the Rejection of Jewish Origin for Xristianity = Lazi

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote:I don't think that most 'mythicists' have put enough time into selecting what is/are the most likely 'myths' to serve as building block for their theories. They haven't 'played around' enough.
Most. So would you say that there are some, at least, who have put the time in? If so, who?

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Well to be honest, I don't know why anyone cares what I think. I complain about mythicists because I want to egg them on to the work I don't see them doing. Since I have become the temporary subject of the discussion here's what I look for in a satisfactory mythicist theorist:

1. familiarity with what the Church Fathers say about the heretics

Let's be honest. If there were mythicists in antiquity (somewhere in the Pastorals 'mythpoeisis' is mentioned as I remember) they would have been known to the Church Fathers. Certainly Valentinus and the gnostics were accused of mythmaking. Marcion is similarly accused by Eznik. But the idea that we should start with the question of 'historicity' is IMO fucking retarded. One can have a 'myth' at the heart of a Christianity built around a historical event - you know, just history manipulated via Salvador Dali. But it seems to me that many who promote 'mythicist' ideas do so from a personal vantage point. IMO we should start with what are the known beliefs of heretics and then work back to make sense of them in some cultural context which leads me to point 2.

2. familiarity with Jewish sources say about heretics.

I don't necessarily mean 'slavish devotion' to existing ideas. Certainly concepts could have and likely did change over 2000 years. But clearly IMO we have to acknowledge that the real debate in Judaism in the second century wasn't about Hercules or Osiris but to what degree the exclusively Jewish godhead was monotheistic. Since I think we can safely put Justin Martyr in the 'two powers' camp this is the proper starting place. Jesus, whatever that was, was understood to be the second power of the Jewish heretics reported among the tannaim. This is clearly the cultural 'starting point' for everything. Mythicism had little or nothing to do with paganism or syncreticism but rather represented a long simmer feud within Judaism about whether two gods were manifest on Sinai or one. The correct answer - based on Jewish usage of a Samaritan-type text of Exodus - two. Monotheism was the innovation going hand in hand with monarchianism (i.e. Imperial recognition of the Emperor as cosmocrator).

I could go on but I don't see the point in continuing to repeat what I've said before. We need to evaluate proposed mythicist theories within the framework of their applicability in what we know of (a) known debates within Christianity and (b) known debates within Judaism in the early to late second century. I don't see anyone having done this yet.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote:I complain about mythicists because I want to egg them on to the work I don't see them doing.
I hear you completely on this one. I think that mythicism is bogged down with a lot of unworkable ideas, and I am very interested in seeing the best possible mythicist option(s) come to the fore to be reckoned with.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Secret Alias wrote:
1. familiarity with what the Church Fathers say about the heretics

... But the idea that we should start with the question of 'historicity' is IMO effing retarded.
completely agree
Secret Alias wrote:
2. familiarity with Jewish sources say about heretics.

... Jesus, whatever that was, was understood to be the second power of the Jewish heretics reported among the tannaim. This is clearly the cultural 'starting point' for everything. Mythicism had little or nothing to do with paganism or syncreticism but rather represented a long simmer feud within Judaism about whether two gods were manifest on Sinai or one. The correct answer - based on Jewish usage of a Samaritan-type text of Exodus - two. Monotheism was the innovation going hand in hand with monarchianism (i.e. Imperial recognition of the Emperor as cosmocrator).
This point is a reach, your unproven opinion. I'm not opposing it just pointing out you need to recognize its a theory based on accepting the Catholic framing of the debate about the properties of God (addressed below)
Secret Alias wrote: I could go on but I don't see the point in continuing to repeat what I've said before. We need to evaluate proposed mythicist theories within the framework of their applicability in what we know of (a) known debates within Christianity and (b) known debates within Judaism in the early to late second century. I don't see anyone having done this yet.
Mostly I agree with your post, except the assertion we know the Jewish Exodus debate is the starting point.

I think your last point is your best, and it is exactly what I think scholarship should be focused on. And the known debates in Christianity can be much better focused when we reconstruct more completely the Marcionite text. Many arguments I see, and from all sides, confuse Marcionite and Catholic texts, because they are looking past the context of the text in front of them and focusing on a debate prior to its writing, perhaps a century prior (hypothetically).

The contours of the situation in the Marcionite text unfortunately do not bring us to a point of singularity. There is not only present the larger debate of one or two Gods - or more accurately a debate about whether or not the properties of Law, Prophets, Judgment and Creation belong to the high God and father of Jesus (we tend to accept the Catholic framing) - but also significant diversity within those camps, especially the heretical. There are also many mundane contours the text hints at, some I think are not doctrinal but rather temporal, such as the organization of the church, and the make up of its membership and relationships outside the community. Specifically the Marcionite text shows the early stages of franchise building, with a strong sect leader model, little to no concern about appearance to outsiders, and no concerns about how to handle initiates, and no hierarchy to speak of. The later text has many references to more structured hierarchy and many concerns about how to treat initiates and the image of the church to the community at large, touching on subjects such as interfaith marriage and the offspring of members; all matters that are generationally separated from the earlier texts, thus they concern a more mature movement.

This suggests IMO that Christianity was very small and only expanded rapidly with the Marcionite evangelism. This was countered rather effectively by a more structured proto-Orthodox evangelism in and after the mid 2nd century. As point of comparison I can think of many companies who had a rival across the street locally (so to speak: think Coke and Pepsi; GM and Ford), so franchised to outflank and outnumber their rival. And in doing so it caused their rival to also franchise rapidly as well. So in the process both became global within a generation. But I digress.

What my point is, there seems to be no NT text or proto-text (Marcionite, and also I argue proto-Gospel predating that) devoid of influence of the internal debate. My second point is can we really assume the debate was a spillover from Judaism? Could it not be that the Jewish debate was inspired by the Christian debate, drawn in by the Christians use of the Greek version of the Jewish scriptures?

A final point, we cannot altogether dismiss synchronism with pagan beliefs and cults. I am merely agreeing we need to understand the internal Christian debate and correctly assign and assess material in those terms first. The Jewish origin is to me an overreach, even though it is clearly a major element in Christianity's origin.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Stuart wrote:... Specifically the Marcionite text shows the early stages of franchise building, with a strong sect leader model, little to no concern about appearance to outsiders, and no concerns about how to handle initiates, and no hierarchy to speak of. The later text has many references to more structured hierarchy and many concerns about how to treat initiates and the image of the church to the community at large, touching on subjects such as interfaith marriage and the offspring of members; all matters that are generationally separated from the earlier texts, thus they concern a more mature movement.

This suggests IMO that Christianity was very small and only expanded rapidly with the Marcionite evangelism. This was countered rather effectively by a more structured proto-Orthodox evangelism in and after the mid 2nd century. As point of comparison I can think of many companies who had a rival across the street locally (so to speak: think Coke and Pepsi; GM and Ford), so franchised to outflank and outnumber their rival. And in doing so it caused their rival to also franchise rapidly as well. So in the process both became global within a generation. But I digress.

What my point is, there seems to be no NT text or proto-text (Marcionite, and also I argue proto-Gospel predating that) devoid of influence of the internal debate.
Care to elaborate on that point, Stuart?
  • (Do you mean all the extant or devised texts (eg. Marcion's gospels derived from 'adverse Marcion' texts) show influence of a strong debate, so may not show core original Marcion theology?)
Stuart wrote: My second point is can we really assume the debate was a spillover from Judaism? Could it not be that the Jewish debate was inspired by the Christian debate, drawn in by the Christians use of the Greek version of the Jewish scriptures?

A final point, we cannot altogether dismiss synchronism with pagan beliefs and cults. I am merely agreeing we need to understand the internal Christian debate and correctly assign and assess material in those terms first. The Jewish origin is to me an overreach, even though it is clearly a major element in Christianity's origin.
Another dimension is to ask -
  • "Could it not be that the Jewish debate was inspired by a pagan debate, drawn in by pagans use of a Greek version of the Jewish scriptures?"
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Mostly I agree with your post, except the assertion we know the Jewish Exodus debate is the starting point.
If I came into a lot of money I would devote a year to writing a demonstration that the evidence from Qumran regarding the primacy of the Samaritan text of Exodus (i.e. with the bits 'added' from other parts of Exodus and Deuteronomy during the Sinai Theophany) extended as far as the circle of R Ishmael. I think this can be successfully argued from the surviving bits of the Mekilata. But the key thing is that I think the reference to 'Samaritan' heresies and heretics being 'Samaritan' or kuthim comes from this context. At some point our Book of Exodus (the 'Jewish' version) was distinguished from the original text used by Sadducees and Samaritans and other 'sects' and which came to be known as 'the Samaritan' text type. This text makes plain that there were two powers on Sinai.

The question then arises - was the heretical text marginalized because it was an innovation or was our text type preferred because it accorded better with monotheistic and monarchian dogma? I think the answer is obvious but the point is that 'Samaritan' doesn't always mean 'Samaritan' in the strictest literal sense. Just as 'Bavli' is used in a way which superficially indicates a 'Babylonian' I think 'Samaritan' was applied in a misleading way when heresies were referenced. It principally meant 'text type' - i.e. the Exodus narrative with the explicit reference to two powers at Sinai. Tatian the 'Assyrian' may well have been used originally denote a 'Syriac' canon (as opposed to 'the Hebrew') too. Blah, blah, blah ...
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I was supposed to give a lecture on this but I had to cancel. Money, money, money as well as personal issues. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... discussion

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... discussion
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

MrMacSon,

I'll answer the second question first. Sure pagan use of Jewish Scripture could be reflected in the tannum. But I think the case is stronger for Christian influence, as we know the Christians explicitly used the LXX in their texts, and in their supporting apologies, and not just a little. I'm not aware of such heavy usage by pagans. Can you give some examples? (that would be an interesting point of study)

On the first one, yes I mean the derived attested Marcionite text from the anti-Marcionite writers. I wish it were straight forward, but there is some eclectic in it. Reproduction methodology and correctness is very much a point of debate. And there will always be an element of uncertainty and probability involved.

As for internal debate, consider Galatians the front and center example, with authority for Paul and really all the Marcionite teachings taken on, and then the comparison with Christians who want the Law (e.g., the books of Moses) and their competing Gospel (I would argue its Matthew). In 1 Corinthians 15:11 a clear reference to the two camps. 2 Corinthians 5:16 appears to target Christians who believe in a fleshy Jesus κατὰ σάρκα Χριστόν. Verses 11:13-14 concern pseudo apostles ψευδαπόστολοι (AM 5.12.6 pseudapostolosi) competing with the Marcionites.

But there are elements that show significant schisms among the heretics. Tertullian went after Marcion for his text including Colossians 1:15-20 and 1 Corinthians 10:1-4 because this implies a pre-existent Christ. The heretical (first) writer of the Gospel of John agreed and had no difficulty with this, but it was not a Marcionite position. This shows that there were schism in both camps when the first edition of the Marcionite NT was published - Apollos in 1 Corinthians can be understood that way I would suggest.

The Marcionite gospel references to Lawyers (νομικοὺς -that is teachers of Mosaic Law), is an internal Christian reference. Jesus, much like Paul in Galatians refuting Cephas for compelling Christians to live like Jews (i.e., accept the books of Moses) but not following the rules himself (2:14, 2:16 ... 2:15 probably not in Marcion), focuses his ire at the Lawyers for hypocrisy of exactly the same order. Look at Luke 11:43 as the insult (I contend Marcionites opposed salutations as accepting rank on earth, explaining the admonition in Luke 10:4) that provokes the response in 11:45 from the Lawyers, and is the context for Jesus' condemnation of them in 11:46 and 11:52. This hypocrisy is also at work in Luke 14:3-6; a put down that fits well Paul's put down of Cephas I mentioned above. Of course these are contextual, but the arguments are more poignant in the internal Christian debate in the mid-2nd century when the Marcionites would have been teaching these points, not against ethnic Jews, but against the self described (per Tertullian AM 5.19.5) pseudapostoli nostri et Iudaici evangelizatores.

There are many more such examples, and of course there are counter arguments - from the perspective of earlier authorship. But if we accept 2nd century publish date and evangelism by the Marcionites (and other heretics) and counter evangelism from the proto-Orthodox, then the wording needs to be considered in terms of the competition of that era. Much of the Marcionite text seems focused on pointing out the differences with their rivals. And of course the argument for the Catholic layers of Paul being post-Marcionite is based on their focus on countering Marcionite and other heretical teachings, which necessarily postdates them (no I do not believe in naive 1st century communities that left no physical trace and yet have the exact same contours as the 2nd century heretics we do know about ... I'm funny that way).

I've thrown out some possibles, enough to get into trouble I'm sure.
Last edited by Stuart on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Secret Alias wrote:
If I came into a lot of money I would devote a year to ... Blah, blah, blah ...
Secret,

I took out all the unimportant stuff in your post, as you can see. But what is left it tells me to drink some of the highland scotch I brought back from vacation in Scotland and buy a few super lotto tickets tonight. Win or lose I'll like the scotch.

What I was trying to say is your argument stands up well without the Sinai element. It need not depend on that point to be good as far as the Christian internal debate goes. BTW, the two powers on Sinai is an interesting subject, seems to me to be along the lines of some of Margaret Barker's work. Have fun with it.
Last edited by Stuart on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Thank you. I have to admit I do love single malt scotch. All my friends (now parents of my son's playmates) are beer drinkers. Not my style. Enjoy.