Examples of Pseudo-Isidore forged letters from Ante Nicene epoch?

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.
Leucius Charinus

Re: Examples of Pseudo-Isidore forged letters from Ante Nicene epoch?

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Clement's 2nd Letter from the 1st century
(courtesy of Pseudo-Isidore from the 9th century
)

THE EPISTLE OF THE COMMANDMENTS
THE MESSAGE OF SAINT CLEMENT BY THE POPE JAMES THE BROTHER OF THE LORD.
Bcan4 : 45
P102; BII13 : 45 That the sacraments of the divine secrets are committed to three degrees 6 and that the priests, deacons and ministers diligently perform the ecclesiastical sacraments without 7 negligence

[H. 45] Clement of the Roman church to Jacob <E97, f. 12ra> to the most dear 8 bishop of Jerusalem.
For just as we received from the blessed 9 Peter the apostle, the father of all the apostles, who received the keys of the heavenly kingdom 10 , we must hold equally to the sacraments which are performed in the saints, you should instruct us in order 11 . For three 12 degrees are committed to the sacraments of the divine 13 secrets, that is, the priest 14 , the deacon and the minister 15 , with fear and 16 trembling the clerics 17 must guard the remains of the body of the Lord 18 in fragments 19 , <SG670, p. 4b> lest any 20 putrefaction 21 be found in the sanctuary, and 22 if 23 careless <BII13, f. 17va> by acting 24 on the portion 25 of the body and 26 blood of the Lord 27 28 of our Jesus Christ 29 the priest 30 does not care 31 to remind 31 of the lesser duties, struck down with a heavy anathema 32 worthy 33 of being struck with the blow of humiliation 34 35 . Certe 36 37 tanta <N442, f. 13va> on the altar 38 holocausts 39 should be offered, sufficient for the people <VD38, f. 18va> they should And if they remain, on the morrow 40 they will not be reserved 41 , but with the 42 fear and trembling of the clerics and 43 diligence they will be consumed.
VD38 : On the acceptance of the body of the master
But those who consume the remains of the Lord's body, which are left in the shrine, do not immediately come to com<Bcan4, f. 30r> accept duties<I83, f. 20 vb> dos
I83 : Coming to the summary of the Sunday body
BII13 : what should be done about the master's body
let the food 44 come together, lest they 45 think that the holy portion 46 should be mixed with the food which is poured through the water 47 48 after being eaten 49 in retirement. If, therefore, a portion of 50 is eaten on Sunday morning , they fast until the sixth day. Those who have consumed it 52 , and if they have taken it at the third or fourth hour, fast until evening 53 . Thus the sacraments are to be kept secret and eternally sanctified.
Of 54 sacred vessels 55 56 <V630, f. 12va> it is to be done in this way: the altar cloth, the chair, the candlestick and the veil, if they have been consumed by age, are given to the fire 57 , since it is not permissible for those things that have been in the sanctuary 58 to be treated badly 59 , but all of them must be given over to the fire 60 . Their ashes are also to be brought into the baptistery 61 , where no one has a passage 62 , or they are tossed on the wall or in the ditches of the floors, so that those who enter <O93, f. They will be defiled by their feet. No one 63 out of ignorance should a cleric believe that a dead man should be wrapped in a pall 64 , or a deacon with the help of his shoulders<VD38, f. 18vb> he wants to laugh, which was on the altar 65 66 <BII13, f. 17vb> or at least that which was given to the table 67 of the lord. He who did these things <E97, f. 12rb> or slightly as if nothing <S670, p. 5b> and he had neglected the ministry for 68 years , deacon for three years and six 69 months

etc etc

https://www-pseudoisidor-mgh-de.transla ... r_pto=wapp

Leucius Charinus

Clement's 3rd Letter from the 1st century
)

GENERAL EPISTLE -- POPE CLEMENTS TO ALL <VD38, f. 22rb>

BOTH THE GREATER 5 AND THE LOWER ORDER OF THE CLERGY AND THE 6 CONCLUSIONS OF THE FAITHFUL WRITINGS 7 .
Bcan4 ; P102; BII13 : 56

That those who enjoy the priesthood of the Lord should know more, so that they can fully teach their subjects

[H. 56] Clement 8 bishop of the city of Rome to all the co-bishops 9 , to the priests, deacons and the rest of the clergy, and to all the princes, major and minor 10 and to all 11 the faithful in general, blessing, brightness 12 and glory in the grace of God, which has been given to us <N442, f. 15ra> in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Bcan4 : On pastoral care
Urguet 13 us, brothers 14 , <I83, f. 24rb> your great love and 15 religious 16 devotion invites us , because we are debtors, to write some things to you.
<SG670, p. 15a> You 18 19 therefore, who enjoy the priesthood of the Lord 20 and are placed in the mirror 21 , must know more, so that you can fully teach the peoples subject to you <BII13, f. 20 vb> and to give them guidance to the kingdoms of the heavens 22 to give the lord the nod of the mighty. Hence the truth itself says through itself: To you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God, but to the rest in parables and the rest .

N442 : How should bishops teach and their subjects listen
Because of this 24 advice 25 I give to each one of you to constantly teach the divine words, and 26 to those who learn willingly to adapt 27 the ear to the word of God. <VD38, f. 22
O93 : How bishops ( folgen tironische Noten )

VD38; P102; BII13 : 57 28 How should bishops teach and their subjects listen
Bcan4 : 57
[H. 57 ] For you , who act as the 30 legation 31 of Christ , 32 is to teach the people, but theirs is for you 33 to obey as God.
S105 : on obedience to be given to bishops
But if all the priests, deacons and 34 subdeacons and 35 the rest of the clerics, together 36 37 and all the 38 leaders of the higher 39 order as well as the lower 40 and the rest, have not obeyed you bishops <SG670, p. 15b> peoples, tribes and tongues have not obeyed, they will not only be infamous, but 41 and 42 they will be extorted 43 44 from the kingdom of God and the company of the faithful from 45 the thresholds of the holy church of God. For it is yours to instruct them<V630, f. 14rb>ere, indeed theirs 46 is for you 47 to obey as a god, whose legation you act 48 <I83, f. 24va> saying to the master: He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you hears me <E97, f. 14rb> and he that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
I83 : Of the rebellious sons around their father

Bcan 4 : Of the rebellious children around their father and how they exercise security around each other
For there is nothing more unjust 50 or dishonest 51 than children rebelling against their fathers or <S105, f. 5r> to exist disobedient or impudent clerics or laymen to the teachers or students to the teachers . For we know <BII13, f. 21ra> that the first man fell through disobedience, therefore we admonish all to be very careful of this vice 53 . And because the Lord 54 resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble, the Lord <VD38, f. 22vb> our mit<SG670, p. 16a> taking us in his turn in 55 place of the apostles to preach 56 commanded us 57 to teach <Bcan4, f. 33r> all and all faithfully obeying us so that they may exist 58 , since in no other way 59 60 does the earth bring forth 61 its fruits, unless it has been cultivated and has received seed and watered 62 has sprouted and brought forth 63 , which is bearing. Likewise, every man who has not willingly received the word of God, and has not been willing to let it sprout in his heart 64 65 and has not at all believed his teachers 66 and his bishops 67 has not been willing, but rebelled and disobedient 68 , will not sprout or bear fruit, but 69 is like 70 to that tree 71 of which the Lord says: Every <I83, f. 24vb> the tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire .

etc etc etc

Leucius Charinus

Clement's 4th Letter from the 1st century
)

THE EPISTLE OF SAINT CLEMENT POPE WRITTEN TO HIS DISCIPLES,
WHO WERE SOMEWHAT DEVIATED BY THE PERSUASIONS OF EVIL MEN
AND ADDRESSED TO THEM AND TO THE NATIONS AMONG WHICH THEY DWELL.

P102; BII13 : 713 The admonition of St. Clement, in which he exhorts his disciples to be concerned for all, and because it happened that they had gone astray in a little way, he commanded them to return to the path of truth and to take with them those who had led them astray and to bring them back to the right path
[H. 74] <BII13, f. 26ra> Clement 8 bishop of the Roman city to his dearest brothers Julius and Julian and <SG670, p. 30a> to the rest of our consuls 9 and to the nations 10 which are around you.
It is necessary , brothers, for all the teachers who <V630, f. 17ra> they were ordained for the salvation of souls and bishops were consecrated for the winning of souls, <VD38, f. 28vb> to bear concern for all and to bring those who are wandering to the path of truth and to the harbor of salvation. And although it may happen that because of the nations that are around you, you have strayed a little , 12 it is still better 13 to return 14 <O93, f. 3rb> to the way of truth 15 as long as to continue in error itself. For any of these 16 who have caused you to err 18 , or of these 19 who have not yet heard the word of preaching 20 , if you are able, take with you and bring them back to the path of truth 21 , not 22 in<I83, f.30vb>fruitful, but 23 find a fruitful master 24 . And since indeed, just as the earth 25 neglected by the cultivator necessarily produces thorns and thistles, < E97, f. 17va> thus your sense of long-time carelessness 27 has sprouted many harmful opinions of things and false understandings 28 of knowledge, we need now much diligence 29 to cultivate 30 right 31 32 <SG670, f. 30b> of your mind 33 , so that 34 this word of truth, which is a true and loving 35 inhabitant of the heart 36 , constantly cultivates 37 disciplines. Therefore it is your duty to provide obedience and occupations 38 and cares <VD38, f. 29ra> to cut off the superfluous, lest the good seed of the word 39 slay 40 the noxious sprout. Can 41 <S105, f. 12v> for it may be done, that many 42 neglect of time will make up for short and constant 43 diligence.
For it is uncertain <BII13, f. 26rb> the time of each one's life 44 , and therefore we must hasten 45 to safety, lest by chance it be con<Bcan4, f. 37r> so long as 46 47 sudden death prevent. And because of this 48 it is necessary to rely more strongly 49 , so that, while there is a period of time, the collected 50 vices 51 of bad habits 51 are resected 52 53 . Which you will not be able to do otherwise 54 , except that you become angry in a certain way against yourselves, for <I83, f. 31ra> these 55 , which 56 you did uselessly and disgracefully.
Bcan4 : 75
P102; BII13 : 75 On just and necessary anger
[H. 75] For this 57 is a just 58 and necessary anger, so that every one 59 in those 60 by which he erred and did wrong 61 62 , may be indignant and accuse himself. From which indignation a certain fire is kindled in us, which, as it were <SG670, p. 31a> thrown into the barren field 63 , after the roots of the worst pleasure have been consumed and cooked, he prepares the heart's clod 66 for the good seed 64 of the word 65 of God . I think, however, that you have sufficiently worthy causes of anger, from which 67 the most just 68 this fire coalesces 69 , if you consider how many errors 70 the evil of ignorance has led you into, <N442, f. 17vb> quan<VD38, f. 29rb>and the fall 71 and how many precipitous things 72 he gave to sinning 73 , he drew you away from 74 how many good things, and into which 75 he plunged evils, and, what is more serious than all, that 76 he made you subject to eternal punishments 77 in the future age . For all these things, when the light of truth shone forth for you, did not the fire <V630, f. 17rb> a most righteous indignation is kindled, and a fire of anger pleasing to God rises up within you, by which it is consumed and rooted out inte<I83, f. 31rb>reat 78 every branch, <BII13, f. 26va> just as 79 perhaps evil lusts have sprouted within you? Whence he himself 80 , <E97, f. 17vb> who sent us, when he had come and seen the whole world turned to wickedness,
BII13 : unleserliche Rubrik
not con<SG670, p. 31b>Tinuos gave him 81 peace by placing him in errors, so that he would not strengthen him in evils, but he opposed the ruin of his ignorance with the knowledge of truth 82 , so that, if by chance 83 those might come to repentance 84 85 86 and the light <S105, f. 13r> they would look at the truth, they would be rightly grieved when they were deceived and drawn into the precipice of error 87 and the salutary fire of anger would set fire against their deceiving ignorance. Because of this he said: I have come to send fire on the earth, which I want 88 to be kindled 89 . There is, then , a kind of battle which we must wage in this life.
For the discourse of truth and knowledge 91 necessarily separates men from error and ignorance 92 , as 93 we often see rotten <VD38, f. 29 and the dead 94 flesh of the body should be separated from the connection of the living members by cutting 95 with a sword . Such, then, is something which 96 acts 97 by the recognition of truth 98 . For it is necessary, as a cause of salvation, that a son, for example, who has received the word <I83, f. 31va> the unbelieving will be separated from the parents of the truth, or again the father will be separated from the son 99 <SG670, p. 32a> or daughter by mother. And in this way between relatives and relatives 100 believers and unbelievers, the battle of knowledge and ignorance and truth and error 101 arises.
Bcan4 : 76
P102; BII13 : 76 Exposition of speech 102 of the Lord saying, I have not come to send peace on earth but a sword
[H. 76] <BII13, f. 26vb> And for this reason 103 he who sent us 104 said again: I did not come 105 to send peace on earth 106 , but a sword. What 107 if someone says 108 : And how does it seem just to separate 109 children from their parents? Hear how: because if they continue 110 111 with them in 112 error, they will not benefit them, and they will also perish 113 with them. Therefore it is just 114 and very just to separate him who 115 wants to give himself 116 from him who does not. But also turn that away 117 , because 118 this separation does not come from those who understand more correctly . For they 120 121 want 122 to be 123 alike and to benefit these and to teach better things. But this is 124 the proper vice of ignorance, so that the refuting 126 does not bear the light of truth 127 from its neighbor, and therefore from these 128 separation 129 is born . For those who receive the knowledge of the truth, because <E97, f. 18ra> good <VD38, f. 29vb>ta<I83, f. 31vb>tis <SG670, p. 32b> is full, <Bcan4, f. 37v> as if given by 130 a good god 131 they desire it 132 if it can be done <S105, f. 13v> he can have in common with 133 everyone, even with those who hate and persecute them 134 . For they know 135 , because 136 sin is their own cause <O93, f. 3vb> is of ignorance. Therefore 137 and the same 138 teacher himself, when from these 139 who <N442, f. 18ra> igno<V630, f. They were robbing him, he was led to the cross, he prayed to his father for his murderers and said: Father, forgive these 140 sins, for they do not know what they are doing. The disciples also, imitating their teacher, even themselves, when they suffered, prayed likewise for their murderers. If it is a discipline for us to pray even for our murderers and persecutors, how can we not also pray for our parents and relatives <BII13, f. 27ra> are we believed to bear persecutions and to pray for their conversion 142 ?
Bcan4 : 77
P102; BII13 : 77 That our parents are not the authors of our lives but our servants

etc etc etc

Leucius Charinus

Clement's 5th Letter from the 1st century
)

THE EPISTLE OF SAINT CLEMENT POPE
ON COMMON LIFE AND THE REST OF THE CAUSES
WRITTEN TO HIS DISCIPLES AND DIRECTED TO JERUSALEM.

Bcan4 : 82
P102; BII13 : 82 On common life
[H. 82] To my dearest 6 brothers and fellow-disciples 7 Bishop Clemens, who lives in Jerusalem with his dearest brother James the co-bishop 8 .
A common life, brothers, is necessary for all, and especially for those 9 who desire God irreproachably as a soldier 10 11 and want to imitate the life of the apostles and their disciples. For the common use 12 of all that is 13 in this world ought to be for all men,
BII13 : that all things should have been common to all
but through iniquity 14 another says that this is his 15 , <E97, f. 19rb> and another that 16 , and thus a division was made among mortals. Finally, 17 a very wise Greek said 20 21
VD38 : That between friends everything must be common
should be common 22 <V630, f. 18va> to be all friends 23 . In 24 , however, they are without doubt and <BII13, f. 28vb> spouses. And as he cannot, <VD38, f. 31vb> he says, divide the air <SG670, p. 38a> nor the splendor of the sun, so neither the rest, which <Bcan4, f. 39r> in common in this world they are given to all to be had <I83, f. 34rb> should be divided, but should be held in common. <O93, f. 4rb> Whence also the Lord speaks through the prophet, saying: Behold how good and how pleasant 26 it is for brothers to dwell together, and the rest. For the manner of this custom was retained 27 28 even by the apostles and their disciples 29 , as was foretold, to lead a common life together with us and 30 with you 31 , whence 32 you well 33 know, their multitude was of one heart and one soul, and not 34 any of them or any of us of these , which he possessed 35 , he said that something was his 36 , but everything was common to them and to us, and there was not 37 anyone in need 38 among us. But all who owned houses or fields sold them < N442 , f. 19ra>, and their prices 40 and the rest of the things they had, they brought, laying them before the feet of the apostles, as we do<SG670, p. 38b> when some of you knew and saw, and they were divided each 41 according to each one's need.
And Ananias the austere man 42 43 , and Sapphira 44 his wife, who lied to the apostles about the price of their fields 45 , which they had sold 46 , to us present in the sight of all those around 47 from the sight of the apostles because of their 48 sin<I83, f. 34 Both their wickedness and the lie which they had committed were brought to the dead . The rest 50 , which 51 we have known and seen of such, <VD38, f. 32ra> nor record<S105, f. 16v>tio<BII13, f. 29ra>ne nor are they worthy of demonstration.
Bcan4 : 833
P102; BII13 : 833 We must obey the teachings and examples of the apostles
[H. 83] For this reason we command these things 52 for you 53 to be avoided 54 55 and we command you to obey the teachings and examples of the apostles, because 56 these 57 who postpone their 58 commands 59 not only 60 become extortionists 62 of things, but also 61 extortionists 62 , which are not only to be avoided by you. but 63 are to be preached to all.
It has also been reported 64 to us that some of you 65 residing in the parties are opposed to sound doctrine, and as it seems to them, they seem to teach not according to the tradition of the father 66 , but 67 according to their own sense. For some 68 , <E97, f. 19va> as we have heard, the 69 talents of your party 70 71 men <SG670, p. 39a> from what they read, they take probabilities.
Bcan4 : 834
P102; BII13 : 831 It must be observed that when the law of God is read, it is not read or taught according to the proper understanding of the character.
[H. 84] And therefore it must be carefully observed that the law of God, when it is read, is not read or taught according to the proper understanding of the 72 intellect. For there are many words in the divine scriptures 73 which can be drawn to that sense which each one has voluntarilyassumed 75 75 , but it is not necessary to do so. <183, f. 34vb> For you must not seek the meaning 76 from the outside 78 of the adulterers 79 alien 80 and extraneous, or 81 how 82 you can confirm it 83 by the authority of the scriptures, but 84 from the scriptures themselves to take the sense 85 of truth.

etc etc etc

Leucius Charinus

Pope Eusebius Letter 1)

DECREES 2 OF POPE EUSEBIUS

P102; BII13 : 1 What should be done about the converted heretics

[H. 1] Dearest 4 brothers and beloved of God <E97, f. 77rb> to the bishops appointed throughout the Gallican provinces 5 <S105, f. 105r> Eusebius.
I received the writings of your holiness with great thanks; 6 I was glad of course because of your sobriety, but I was very sad because of your oppression.
V630 : That converted heretics who have been baptized in the faith of the Holy Trinity may be received by the laying on of hands
183; Bcan4 : Of the 7 converted heretics
For what you have indicated, what should have become of the converted heretics 8 , let us know those who were baptized 9 in the faith of the holy trinity , <I83, f. 143ra> to undertake by laying on of hands 10 .
VD38 :

Of accusations
Bcan4 : II
P102; BII13 : II On the accusations of 11 clerics
[H. 2] As for the 12 accusations of the clerics, upon whom you commanded 14 , know that they have been preserved 15 since the time of the apostles in this holy city
V630 : Of the accusations of clerics
accusers and accu<SG670, p. 287b>sations, which foreigners 16 customs 17 laws do not 18 learn 19 , by 20 the accusation of the clerics subverted 21 .

N442 : That it is not permitted for the laity to accuse the bishops
P9629; S105 : Priests cannot accuse the laity
183; Bcan4;

E97 : of those who voluntarily confess the crimes of others by torture
Bcan4 : III
P102; BII13 : III

On the accusations of bishops and servants of God and on their 22 accusers
[H. 3] Similarly , 23 that the laity did not accuse 24 the bishops 25 up to now 26 it has been observed and established 27 because 28 they are not of the same 29 conversation and there are some 31 hostile to the town 30 them , since their lives and secrets are from 32 the laity <O93, f. 30vb> by acts they must 33 be removed 34 and they must not be attacked 37 by 35 these 36 , whose 38 chastity 39 and seriousness 40 <VD38, f. 136rb> they do not want <BII13, f. 120ra> to be imitated, especially since 41 and 42 them in their vo<V630, f. 68rb> to receive the accusations.
Regarding 43 them, that is, his farmers 44 and ministers, the Lord says to the laity and to all those who persecute them: Do not touch my christs 45 and do not malign my prophets. And the 46 sacred scripture itself says: He who touches 47 you touches the pupil 48 of my eye.
P9629 :

Of the accusers
For such and similar holy fathers foreseeing 49 dangers 50 to the laity 51 fighting in the age 52 from 53 the accusation of the priests <I83, f. 143rb> to prohibit 54 , similarly 55 slaves and freedmen 56 and censuses 57 public 58 or 59 private 60 subjugated and all inferior <SG670, p. 288a> mes 61 from the same accusation or back<N442, f. 66rb>versatione 62 63 submoved. For it is not 64 necessary 65 that the carnal 66 should be permitted to persecute the spiritual, nor should the bishops 69 slandered 70 71 or torn 72 or entangled in crimes 67 or serving in the century 68 be slandered 70 71 or should they be torn 72 or opposed to crime. For if the apostles or their successors had allowed this 73 , very few would have remained who would have served 74 the lord in the 75 priestly order. Therefore we also following the steps of our fathers 76 for 77 the salvation of the servants of God, whatever to the accusation<VD38, f. 136 The public laws do not admit persons 78 79 to attack these 80 <E97, f. 77va> the other 81 82 and we revoke the license 83 , and no accusations are to be heard by the judges 84 of the ecclesiastics, which are prohibited by the laws of the age. Wherefore those to whom perfection 88 has been brought 85 to 86 the polished nail 88 , such things 89 must be silent, so that they are neither mutilated 90 nor pre<BII13, f. 120rb> are placed 91 .
P9629; S105 :

These cannot accuse
Nor shall those 92 who are suspected 93 or 94 95 of the Catholic faith or of enmity be admitted to the 96 pulsation 97 of the aforesaid, because the truth 98 of the profession 99 100 infidels <I83, f. 143va>tas <SG670, p. 288b> and enmity 101 is usually prevented 102

V630 : Those who voluntarily confess the crimes of others are neither to be believed nor to be admitted
183; Bcan4 : Of those who voluntarily confess the crimes of others by torture
Nor are those 103 to be believed or to be admitted 104 , who voluntarily 105 confess the crimes of others 106 , and therefore the truth 109 is to be replicated 107 with solicitude 108 , as <S105, f. 105v> spontaneously pronounced 110 111 cannot have a voice in 112 them.
P9629 :

The truth must be sought by torture

The religious 116 117 torturer 118 must demand 119 120 him with different crosses 113 114 from 115 his hiding places , so that, while he is being punished 121 <Bcan4, f. 106v> bodies are released 122 , which deeds 123 are, faithfully and 124 truthfully searched for.
I83 :

It is not permissible for laymen to accuse bishops
Bcan4 : V
P102; BII13 : III

That first the mouths be turned to the public laws then to the judges 125 speaking justly
[H. 4] Wherefore 126 , please 127 , first turn your mouth 128 to the public laws, then to the judges 129 , who are able and willing to speak justly in the defense of all.
VD38; Bcan4 : It is not permissible for the laity to accuse the bishops 130
For we 131 , whom the service of God after these things objected <VD38, f. 136vb>one 132 133 made 134 135 naive 136 , who such insults 137 and insults 138 we either despise 139 or laugh at, to whom it is written about servants and common people 140 141 to men through the apostle: Remember 142 , because your and their master is in 143 heaven 144 . Shall we be recalled to these 145 evils of the 146 century ? What is to be done 147 by us 148 ? _ That through the ministry of command and the hands of others 152 uncertain<SG670, p. 289a>ret 153 154 aspect 155 , will be carried out 156 157 imperio? <BII13, f. 120

S105 : The truth must be sought by torture
Do not do this to all the churches 158 <V630, f. 68va> <I83, f. 143vb> mind 159 ravenous wolves <N442, f. 66va> to preserve custom 160 and nature 161 because, after it stains us 162 , perhaps because of their bloody desires 163 164 discussion 165 will not have an effect 166 in these, to which they tend 167 , saying 168 to us the prophet 169 : Let us put 170 a circle in their noses and a bit on the lips, and let us bring them back 171 to the right path, because they are attacked by the same prophet 172 asserting 173 who says 174 : They will be as if they did not exist, and the men who contradict you will perish.
V630 : What persons are infamous

P9629 : Who are the infamous assailants of the bishop?
183; Bcan4; P102; II13; S105 : V 175 Who are 176 infamous
[H. 5] For infamous 177 are without a doubt the assailants of the bishops and all those who take up arms against the fathers, and 178 the tramplers 179 of the churches and their priests 180
BII13 : those who flee from battles are called infamous
and those who flee from public 181 battles and 182 orders <VD38, f. 137ra> they despise the gods 183 , and those who 184 are sprinkled with stains 187 through some fault of infamy 187 , to attack all these 188 the bishop 189 following the institutions of the fathers and we have leave 190 <P9629, f. 42v> let us subvert 191 , because God thus hates 192 those 193 who persecute the fathers 194 , as invaders of the fathers, who 195 in every 196 world <SG670, p. 289b> they are marked with infamy 197 and therefore 198 are justly and regularly 199 rejected. Now there is no need for long 200 admonition 201 of those who have already perished 202 , we owe hatred 203 to the work 204 of which no longer remains 205 , which will be damned to the authors, of whom the Lord speaks through the prophet, saying: <I83, f. 144ra> Repro<BII13, f. 120 vb> bantes 206 you hoped for a word 207 in slander 208 and in turmoil 209 and 210 you are in it. Therefore this iniquity shall be unto you as an interruption. Again the prophet also cries out about such 211 saying: Approach still 212 , the seed of adulterers 213 and fornicators 214 . On whom did you play 215 216 , on whom did you widen your mouth and thrust out your 217 tongue? Are you not 218 219 children of wickedness 220 221 are you 222 lying seed? Let the impious 223 cease to speak 224 225 against the simple 226 to be measured by fraud 227 228 . Guard 229 , says the prophet, your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking 230 deceit. Turn away from evil and do good, seek 231 peace and pursue it. <S105, f. 106r> The eyes of the Lord 232 to the righteous and his ears to the cry<VD38, f. 137rb>rem their, look 233 lord in 234 doing 235 evil 236 , <O93, f. 31ra> to destroy their memory from the earth. And a little later: He will kill the wicked <SG670, p. 290a> malice, and the haters will be justly blamed 237 .
Bcan4 : VI

P102; BII13 : VI On love

etc etc etc

Leucius Charinus

Index of the forged letters of the popes from Clement I to Melchiades

German: http://www.pseudoisidor.mgh.de/html/teil_i.html
English: https://www-pseudoisidor-mgh-de.transla ... r_pto=wapp

The first part of the False Decretals contains Introductory materials (praefatio, forged correspondence) between Aurelius of Carthage and Pope Damasus I, the Ordo de celebrando concilio, a table of contents,
* the Canons of the Apostles (a pre-Pseudo-Isidorian forgery)
* throughout forged decretals of the popes from Clement I to to Melchiades

In These are the following: Pieces:
(HTML versions without references to sources and reception, but with accurate folio information for the manuscripts used; PDF versions with references to sources and reception for the letters forged by Pseudoisidore, but without folio indications for the manuscripts consulted.)

Capitulatio to Manuscript class A2
Praefatio
Aurelius of Carthage to Pope Damasus
Pope Damasus to Aurelius of Carthage
Conciliar Order
Breviary Canonum Apostolorum
Canons Apostolorum

1. Letter of Clemens
2. Letter of Clemens
3. Letter of Clemens
4. Letter of Clemens
5. Letter of Clemens

1. Anacletus Letter
2. Anacletus Letter
3. Anacletus Letter
1. Evaristus Letter
2 Evaristus Letter
1. Alexander Letter
2. Alexander Letter
3. Alexander Letter
1. Letter Sixtus I
2. Letter Sixtus I
Telesphorus Letter
1. Viginius Letter
2. Viginius Letter
1. Epistle of St. Pius
2. Epistle of St. Pius
Annicius Letter
1. Sother Brief
2. Sother Brief
Eleutherus Letter
1. Victor Letter
2. Victor Letter
1. Zepherinus Letter
2. Zepherinus Letter
1. Calixtus Letter
2. Calixtus Letter
Urbanus Letter
1. Pontianus Letter
2. Pontianus Letter
Anterus Letter
1. Fabianus Letter
2. Fabianus Letter
3. Fabianus Letter
1. Cornelius Letter
2. Cornelius Letter
Lucius Letter
1. Letter of St. Stephen
2. Letter of St. Stephen
1. Letter of Sixtus II
2. Letter Sixtus II.
1. Dionysius Letter
2. Dionysius Letter
1. Letter Felix. I.
2. Letter Felix. I.
3. Letter Felix. I.
1. Euticianus Letter
2. Euticianus Letter
Gaius Letter
1. Letter of Marcellinus
2. Letter of Marcellinus
1. Marcellus Letter
2. Marcellus Letter

1. Epistle of Eusebius
2. Epistle of Eusebius
3. Epistle of Eusebius
Melchiades Letter

Last edited by Leucius Charinus on Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leucius Charinus

Pope Eusebius Letter 2

Eusebius beloved bishop of the Roman and apostolic church and in Christ united by the bond of charity brothers throughout Alexandria and Egypt who are fighting for the Lord and holding the right faith in the Lord salvation.

Well <SG670, p. 292b> called the god and father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of mercies and the god of all consolation, who comforts us in all our tribulations, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in every pressure 17 by exhortation 18 , with which 19 we are exhorted 20 ourselves by to God, since, as they abound <S105, f. 107r> the sufferings of Christ in us, so also through Christ our consolation abounds . And whether we are troubled for your exhortation 23 and 24 for salvation, or whether we are exhorted for 25 your exhortation, which works in 26 tolerance 27 28 of the same 29 sufferings which we also suffer 30 , and our hope is firm for you, knowing that 31 , as partners in suffering you are, so you will be comforted.

The old things, dear ones, have passed away, and behold, the new has become.

And all things from God, who reconciled 32 us to himself 33 through Christ <VD38, f. 138va> and he gave us the ministry 34 of reconciliation 35 , since indeed 36 God was 37 38 in Christ reconciling 39 to himself 40 not imputing 41 to them their offenses and po<V630, f. 69rb> suit 42 in <I83, f. 145va> word to us 43 <SG670, p. 293a> reconciliation 44 On behalf of Christ 45 we therefore act as a delegation 46 as if exhorting God 47 through 48 us, we beg for 49 Christ: Be reconciled 50 to God 51 . He made him 52 who knew no sin 53 to be sin for us, so that we might become 54 the righteousness 55 of God in him. But we exhort those who help 56 not to receive the grace 58 of God in vain. He said 59 for 60 : I heard 61 thee in due time , and in the day of salvation I helped 62 thee. Behold now <BII13, f. 122ra> the time 63 is acceptable 64 , behold now 65 the day of salvation. Giving no offense to anyone 66 , so that our ministry 67 may not be reproached 67 , but 68 in everything we present ourselves 69 as servants of God in much patience, in tribulations, in necessities, in hardships 70 , in plagues, in prisons, in 71 seditions 72 , in labor <N442, f. in vigils , in fastings, in chastity, in knowledge, in long-suffering 74 , in 75 gentleness 76 , in a holy 77 spirit , in unfeigned love 78 , in the word of truth, in the power of God, by the weapons 79 of justice from 80 on the right 81 and on the 82 left 83 , through glory and ignominy 84 , through infamy 85 and good fame 86 , <SG670, p. 293b> to seduce <VD38, f. 138vb> tors and truthful, as those who are unknown <I83, f. 145vb> and known 87 , as if dying, and behold we live, as chastened and not mortified, as if sad 88 , but always rejoicing 89 , as <E97, f. 77vb> needy 90 91 , but enriching many 92 93 , as if they had nothing and possessed everything. Our mouth 94 is open 95 to you, dear ones, our heart is wide 96 . Be not constrained in carnal things , but be constrained in spiritual things .

Do not yoke 101 with unbelievers 102 . But what participation 103 104 of justice with iniquity or what association of light with 105 darkness 106 ? And what agreement 107 108 of Christ to Belial 109 110 or what part 111 of the faithful 112 with 113 the infidel 114 ? But who 115 consents to the temple 116 of God with the idols? For you 117 are 118 the temple of the living God, as God says 119 : For I will dwell in them and walk 120 and be <BII13, f. 122rb> their god <S105, f. 107v> and they 121 will be my people 122 , for which reason go out <SG670, p. 294a> and I will separate you from the midst of them 123 , says the Lord 124 , and you shall not touch the unclean 125 , and I will receive you and be your 126 father 127 , and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the almighty Lord.
Therefore, having these promises, dear ones, let us cleanse <Bcan4, f. 108r> us from every inqui<I83, f. 146 by the name of flesh and spirit, perfecting sanctification in the fear of God 128 .
Bcan4 : VIII
P102; BII13 :

VIII On correcting error
[H. 8] Error <VD38, f. 139ra> correct yourselves, brethren, and keep yourselves from every stain of error, that you may be able to offer a pure 129 gift to God.
P9629;

S105 : Bishops to be reserved for God's judgment
130 Do not persecute the servants of God. Do not slander or accuse the bishops, because God 131 wanted them to be reserved 132 133 by his judgment 134 .

V630 : That God's servants are not to be persecuted or accused
P102; BII13 : 81

By whom the bishops are not to be accused
[H. 9] For 135 he did not want them to be perverted or accused 137 by human beings or by men of a perverse life , he himself gave an example, when he drove out the traders by himself and not by another 138 <N442, f . 67vb> he overthrew the priests 139 from 140 the temple, and the tables 141 of the moneylenders 142 with his own flag<V630, f. 69 went and cast him out of the 143 temple, and as elsewhere he says 144 : God stood in the synagogue of the gods, but in the midst 145 he discerns the gods 146 . <SG670, p. 294b> Therefore he accuses God's 147 ordination 148 , who accuses or condemns bishops 149 , while he follows less 150 spiritual than earthly 151 152 .
For the cause of faith and love, in which Christian salvation 153 consists, I labor with much anxiety 154 155 <P9629, f. 43v> compels the fearful 157 158 lest 159 the probity 160 161 which in his <BII13, f. 122va> had been cut off 162 by principles 163 , by the process 164 of time <O93, f. 31va> and become more persistent 165 and higher. <VD38, f. 139 rb>
P9629 :

On the spotting bishops
Bcan4 : X
P102; BII13 : 10 That it is inimical and incongruous to mix those with the names of Catholics without 166 discretion who harass the bishops or the rest of the priests
[H. 10] For 167 it is extremely hostile 168 and incongruous to those who 169 170 sa<183, f. 146rb> their priests 171 are harassed 172 by persecution 173 , without the names of Catholics <E97, f. 78ra> to mix with discretion 174 , when already born 175 176 impiety 177 not abandoning 178 themselves 179 their own 180 perversity they condemn 181 , whom it is fitting 182 or 183 to be punished 184 for 185 treachery 186 , or 187 to suffer 188 for forgiveness 189 , because as he is full of piety 190 191 having oppressed 192 193 the charity of the Lord 194 to be restrained 195 , so it is just 196 that all 197 of the disturbing 198 authority 199 should be amputated 200 . I wonder, dearest, why you move so quickly 201 and 202 from your 203 <SG670, p. 295a> in the sense of transference 204 , when it is written 205 : After your concupiscences 206 do not turn them 207 and 208 away from your will 209 . If you provide 210 211 the desires of your soul, he will make you 212 213 a joy to your enemies. Do not 214 be entertained 215 216 in crowds nor in 217 small groups 218 . For there is 219 of their commission. Don't be average in the competition 220 out of 221 investment, and you have nothing in the world. You will be 222 envious 223 of your 224 life. A drunken laborer will not be enriched 225 , and he who spends a little will gradually 226 fall 227 . <183, f. 146v>

etc etc etc

Leucius Charinus

Pope Eusebius- Letter 3

EPISTLE WHOSE ABOVE DIRECTED TO THE BISHOPS
CONSTITUTED THROUGH CAMPANIA AND TUSCIA

Eusebius, the most beloved 3 4 brothers appointed bishops throughout Campania and Tuscany.
Blessed is our Lord God, who through mercy 5 blessed his Roman church 6 <BII13, f. 124vb> the priesthood of the 7 apostles of Peter the Great

<SG670, p. 300b> he also gave us 8 the way to be shown 9 around us 10 11 12 because of 13 the universal concern, which 14 for us because of the privilege 15 of the same church 16 charity 17 indulged each other 18 19 , let us who are united by the firmness 20 of faith, let us be united 21 also by votives 22 23 by the pleasantness 24 25 of conversation 26 , with which 27 28 more easily while we reached you through the ministries of letters 29 30 31 , also heart<I83, f. 149ra>give yourselves to religious 32 33 worship 34 <VD38, f. 141va> let us encourage by apostolic admonitions, [H. 16] and 35 while we repay our love 36 hope 37 38 as a kind of debt, let us show full 39 affection 40 towards God . Let us therefore, dearly beloved brethren, join together in continuous and humble prayers, and supplicating our Lord with tears of mouth and heart , let us beseech the yoke 42 that by instruction and work 43 we may cleave to him of whom we desire to be members 44 and never depart from that way which is Christ. let us turn aside from the deviant 45 46 path 47 , lest we be forsaken 49 50 by the just one whom we impiously leave 48 . That with the help of the favor of heaven 51 it can reasonably happen to us 52 , if <SG670, p. 301a> apostolic dogmas 53 if we keep the commandments of our fathers 54 For our Lord says: He who loves me will keep my word, and my father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with him.

<SG670, p. 304a> [H. 17] <BII13, f. 125ra> <S105, f. 111r> And 57 58 although these 59 statements may be sufficient in general, so that we either reject errors 60 or keep Catholic, yet we know from the 61 apostles 62 and their successors that accusations 63 against teachers should not be accepted 64 nor foreign ones 65 <E97, f. 79va> judgement, nor 66 anyone 67 <VD38, f. 142ra> the sentence of another judge 68 than 69 his own 70 must be bound 71 72 . For the head of the church is Christ 73 , and the vicars 74 of Christ are the priests, who in turn function 75 as Christ's delegation 76 in the church. Therefore, whatever 77 is done to them 78 wrong, to Christ suffered<V630, f. 70vb>net, who said 79 : He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you 80 me <SG670, p. 304b> rejects 81 , and whoever rejects 82 me rejects him who sent me.

These things, brothers, are terrible 83 and the town should carefully consider and beware of them, and so 84 because of them, <S105, f. 111v> those who seek to destroy themselves either through greed or avarice or envy 85 , lest they slide 86 87 into the depths 88 of such evils as 89 because of the persecutors of the church and its servants, who according to the voice of truth 90 having eyes do not see and having ears <N442 , f. 69rb> they do not hear 91 , nor understand what pleases 92 God. [H. 18] Following 93 94 in everything 95 the apostolic rule and preaching all 96 its established 97 for the custody of the bishops, <I83, f. 149va> who filter<BII13, f. 125rb>say to the church from God <Bcan4, f. 110r>ti, and of the rest of the true 98 priests 99 confirming the cana 100 101 we established the statutes of the fathers again 102 103 with all who 104 are with us bishops, as we found a long time ago 105 the decree 106 107 , as 108 murderers, <P9629, f. 45r> evildoers, thieves, <SG670, p. 305a> sacrilegious 109 , kidnappers, adulterers, incest 110 , poisoners, suspects, <VD38, f. 142rb> criminals, domestics 111 , perjurers, and those who committed kidnapping 112 or gave false testimony 113 114 , or those who flocked to 115 116 diviners 117 118 119 and their like 120 will by no means be admitted to accusation or to testimony, because 121 they are infamous 122 and just to repel, <O93, f. 32rb> because their voice is fatal 123 For I cut off the fatal voice 124 in all things 125 126 rather 127 than should be heard.

The danger, therefore, which threatens 128 doctors is always to be prevented and avoided, and they 129 are from 130 all bearing and guarding the master who says: What you did to one of the least 131 of mine 132 , you did to me 133 .
[H. 19] For the first 134 salvation 135 is 136 keeping the right 137 rules of faith and 138 established by 139 140 the fathers nul<I83, f. 149 vb> to deviate secretly 141 142 . Nor can 143 the sentence of our Lord Jesus Christ be passed over 144 saying: You 145 are Peter, and on this 146 rock I will build <SG670, p. 305b> my church, and these things which have been said of things 147 are proved 148 by effects 149 150 , because 151 in the apostolic see 152 outside the stain 153 it is always 154 kept catholic <E97, f. 79vb> religion.

<BII13, f. 125va> Therefore, dear ones, you also learn according to the sacred scriptures 155 to do good and 156 to turn away from evil 157 and imbued with the rules 158 of the fathers , as it is written 159 : Son, if you have, do good 160 with you and offer worthy offerings to God 161 . Remember that <VD38, f. 142va> death does not delay 162 and the testament of the underworld, because it has been shown to you. For the testament of this world 163 will die by death 164 . Before 165 death do good to your friend, and according to your strength 166 give to the poor 168 You shall not be defrauded by 169 good things and a particle of good 170 gifts 171 shall not 172 overtake you 173 174 . Do not 175 others 176 leave 177 your pains and labors in the division 178 of lot? Give and take and justify your soul. To do justice before your death, because it is not with the underworld <SG670, p. 306a> to find food. All flesh grows old like hay 180 and like a leaf bearing fruit on a green tree. Others are also generated a<N442, f. 69va>lia are cast down 181 182 . <183, f. 150ra> <S105, f. 112r> Thus the generation of flesh and blood 183 , one ends and another is born. All corruptible work at the end <V630, f. 71ra> will fail, and whoever works it 184 will go 185 with him. And every chosen work 186 will be justified, and 187 he who works it will be honored in it. Blessed is the man who will die in his wisdom 188 189 , and who will meditate in his justice, and in sense will think about the circumspection 190 of God. He who devises the ways 191 of her in his 192 193 heart and in the secret 194 of her will be understanding, going after 195 her as a tracer 196 , and 197 in 198 her ways 199 standing 200 , who regards <BII13, f. 125vb> through the windows 201 <VD38, f. 142 vb> his and in the doors 202 of him listening 203 , who 204 he rests by the house 205 of that, and 206 fixing a stake in its walls he will establish 207 208 his cabin 209 to 210 ma <SG670, p. 306b> his nut, and their good things rest 211 in his hut throughout the ages 212 . He will establish his children under his shelter 213 214 of him 215 , and under his branches 216 he will dwell, he will be protected under his shelter 217 from his fervor 218 and he will rest in his glory. He who fears the Lord 219 will do that, and he who <I83, f. 150rb> is the container 220 of justice, he will grasp it, and 221 meet him 222 like an honored mother, and like a woman from virginity will receive him. He will feed 223 224 him with the bread 225 of life and understanding, and he will drink 226 him with the water of saving wisdom , and he will be established in him and will not 227 be bent 228 and will contain him 229 230 and will not be confounded 231 and will exalt him 232 among his neighbors and in the midst of the church < E97, f. 80ra > will open his mouth 233 and will fill 234 him 235 with the spirit 236 of wisdom and understanding, and will clothe 238 him with a robe 237 of glory, will treasure 239 240 joy and exultation 241 242 <Bcan4, f. 110v > upon him, and in the name of 243 eternal 244 he shall inherit 245 him. Foolish men will not grasp 246 it, and sensible men will meet 247 it, foolish men 248 will not see <SG670, p. 307a> her, for she is far 249 away 250 251 252 from pride and deceit. Lying men will not remember him 253 , and truthful men 254 in<VD38, f. 143 they will come 255 in it and they will have success 256 257 until the inspection 258 259 of God. It is not 260 beautiful 261 262 praise in the mouth 263 of a sinner 264 , <BII13, f. 126ra> since wisdom is perfected by God. For wisdom 265 of God 266 will stand 267 praise 268 and in his mouth fi<I83, f. 150 Va>deli will abound, and the ruler will give it to him. You will not say 269 : By God 270 it is absent, for that which he hates 271 , do not do it. Do not say 272 : He 273 implantedme 274 275 276 , for those impious men are not necessary. God hates every abomination 277 278 279 of error and will not be 280 lovable to those who fear him. God appointed man from the beginning and left him in the hand of his counsel, added the commandments <N442, f. 69vb> and his precepts. If you will, the commandments will preserve 281 you and your faith forever<SG670, p. 307b>to makea plea 282 283 .

He has placed 284 for you 285 water and fire, to which 286 you wish, stretch out 287 your hand 288 . Before man, life 289 and death, good and evil, whatever 290 pleases him will be given to him 291 , since God has much wisdom 292 293 and is strong 294 in 295 power , < O93 , f . 32va> seeing all without 296 interruption. The eyes of God 297 and 298 fear 299 him, and he knows 300 every 301 work 302 303 <S105, f. 112v> of man. He commanded no one to act impiously and 304 gave no one room to sin. For he does not covet 305 a multitude 306 of infidel 307 and useless 308 children . <VD38, f. 143rb> Do not make fun 309 310 of impious sons, if 311 they multiply 312 , <I83, f. 150vb> do not 313 impose 314 upon them, if it is not for you<V630, f. 71rb> the death of God with them. Do not believe in their lives 315 and do not look 316 into their labors 317 . For one fearing God is better than a thousand sons of the wicked. And it is better to die without children than to leave impious children. From one <BII13, f. 126rb> the country will be inhabited with sense and 320 will be abandoned by three impious people 321 . My eye saw many other things, <P9629, f. 45v> and my ears heard the stronger of these 322 In the 323 synagogue 324 of sinners a fire will burn, in an incredible nation 325 anger will burn. They did not pray for their sins of old 326 giants 327 , <E97, f. 80rb> who destroyed 328 those who trusted in their 329 virtue, and did not spare their pilgrimage 330 , <SG670, p. 301a> <S105, f. 110r> but he smote them 331 332 and 333 cursed 334 335 them 336 before 337 the pride 338 of their word 339 . He had no mercy on them, destroying the whole nation and exalting themselves 340 in their sins. And 341 like six hundred thousand footmen, who are assembled 342 343 , the hardness 344 of their hearts, and if one had been slain 345 346 , it would be a wonder if he had been immune 347 . For mercy and wrath are with him, a powerful exhortation and pouring out wrath according to mercy <VD38, f. 143va> his own. Thus 348 the corruption 349 of that man 350 is judged according to his works. The sinner will not escape in robbery 351 and will not slow down his suffering 352 353 mi<I83, f. 151ra>sericordiam 354 of the doer. All mercy 355 will make a place for each one according to the merit 356 of his works and according to the understanding of the pilgrimage. Do not say: Abstain from God<SG670, p. 301b>dar 357 and from the top 358 who will be remembered 359 of me? I shall not be recognized among the great people 360 . For what is my 361 soul in such an immense 362 creature? Behold 363 heaven 364 365 and the heavens of heavens, the deep 366 367 and all the earth, and all that is 368 in them , at his sight the mountains together and the hills and the foundations will be shaken <S105, f. 110v> of the earth, and when the god beholds 369 370 it 371 , they will be shaken 373 with a tremor 372 . <BII13, f. 126va> And in all 374 of these there is a senseless 375 376 heart, and every heart is understood by it, <N442, f. 70ra> and his ways, who understands and the tempest 377 378 , which 379 the eye 380 of man has not seen 381 ? For most of his works are hidden, but the works 382 of his justice 383 , who will declare 384 or who 385 will support 386 ? For far 387 is 388 the testament of 389 some and the questioning of men in the consummation 390 is 391 . He who is small in heart, thinks evil 392 , <Bcan4, f. 111r> and the imprudent and erring man 393 thinks foolishly 394 .
Every 395 396 therefore, brethren, evil speech from o<VD38, f. 143vb>re not proceeding 397 , <SG670, p. 302a> But if anyone is good 398 for the edification of opportunity, let him give grace to those who hear him. And do not con<I83, f. 151rb>grieving 399 the holy spirit of God, in which you were sealed for the day 400 of redemption. All bitterness and anger and indignation and clamor and blasphemy 401 402 be removed from you with all malice. But be kind to one another 403 , mi<V630, f. 71 be kindhearted 404 , giving 405 to one another, just as 406 God in Christ has given to you. Therefore be imitators of me 407 as dear children, and walk in love, just as Christ also loved 408 us and gave himself <E97, f. 80va> for us an offering and a sacrifice to God in the fragrance of 409 sweetness.
Fornication 410 411 and all impurity 412 or covetousness shall not be named among you, as befits saints, or indecency or foolishness or scurrilousness, which does not belong to the matter 413 414 , but rather an act of thanksgiving. For knowing this 415 knowingly, that every fornicator 416 is either unclean or <BII13, f. 126va> the avaricious, which is the servitude of idols, has no heir <SG670, p. 302b> state in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Let no one deceive you with empty words. For because of these things the wrath of God came upon the children of unbelief. Therefore do not become part 417 of them. <VD38, f. 144ra> For you were once in darkness 418 , but now <I83, f. 151va> light 419 in the Lord, as children 420 walk in the light. For the fruit of the light 421 is in all goodness and justice and truth proving what 422 is pleasing to God. And do not share 423 with the unfruitful works of darkness 424 , but rather give back. For what is done by them in 425 secret, it is disgraceful 426 even to say. But all that is argued is made manifest by light 427 For everything that is manifested is light. Because of this he says: Arise, you who sleep 428 and arise from the dead, and Christ will enlighten you 429 430 . See therefore , brethren, how you walk cautiously, not as fools 432 , but as wise men, redeeming the time 433 , since the days 434 are evil. Therefore do not become impru <SG670, p. 303a> teeth, but understand <O93, f. 32 vb> nations, what is the will of the Lord 435 . <S105, f. 111r> And do not get drunk with wine, in which there is lust 436 , but be filled 437 with the spirit 438 speaking to yourselves in psalms 439 and hymns and spiritual songs 440 singing 441 442 and singing 443 in your hearts 444 to your Lord, always giving thanks for everything 445 <I83, f. 151vb> in the name<N442, f. 70rb> not subject to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ <VD38, f. 144rb> one another in the fear of Christ.

[H. 20] Therefore the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, which 447 <BII13, f. 127ra> recently 448 the governorship of the holy Roman 449 church 450 was found in the possession of the fifth Ninth of May, on the aforesaid 451 calendar day of the discovery 452 we order you to celebrate 453 solemnly 454
[H. 21] Similarly 455 and all the heretics 456 whosoever are converted by the grace of God 457 and who believe in the name of the 458 holy trinity are baptized <E97, f. 80 vb> they are bound 459 , holding the rule 460 of the Roman church , we order them to be reconciled by the laying on of hands 461 .

etc etc etc

Leucius Charinus

PREFACE --- Including references to the Nicene Council

IN THE NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST BEGINS THE PREFACE OF SAINT ISIDOR BISHOP

BOOK OF TODAY

Bcan4: I
P102; BII13: 1 8 That it is addressed by many bishops and the rest of the servants of God to gather together the sentences of the canons
[H. 1] <BII13, f. 3va> Isidorus Mercator 9 servant of Christ to his fellow reader and parent 10 11 greeting in the Lord of faith.

I am compelled by many bishops as well as the rest of the servants of God to collect the 12 sentences of the canons 13 and to reduce them in one volume and to make one out of many. But this disturbs me 14 in the town, because different interpretations make different sentences 15 , and although there is one sense, <E97, f. 1va> different <V630, f. 1vb>, however, there are sentences, and 16 others longer, others shorter.
P102; BII13 : II 17

That councils 18 issued in Greek style were interpreted more than three times or four times
[H. 2] But those councils, which were issued in Greek 19 and written in 20 pen, we find more than threefold or fourfold interpreted and 21 written down. But if truth is to be sought from many things, let us follow the style of the Greeks and imitate their sayings and models; if not, let them say 22 and expound 23 , of which there are as many copies as there are codices. However, it seems to us 24 , since they differed 25 in our speech 26 , that 27 unity and truth should be sought from them 28 , whose language 29 we know to have been published. Which we also did, and according to their truths <I83, f. 1rb> we have found 30 masters , in the volume to which this preface is prefixed, we have taken care to insert it.
P102; BII13 : III 31

What 32 canon rule and synod what council groups and assemblies are to be interpreted
[H. 3] Canon 33, in Greek, is called rule in Latin. And the rule 34 is said, that it leads straight 35 , lest 36 it sometimes pull 37 another way 38 . Others have said that the said rule, either that which governs, or that which provides a standard of right living, or that which corrects what is distorted and wrong. Synodum 39 and 40 are translated from the Greek word for company or group. <BII13, f. 3vb> Council 41 42 but the name drawn from the common intention that they should direct in one 43 44 all the dull of the mind. For the eyelashes are the eyes. Hence also those who disagree with themselves do not hold a council , because they do not feel one. But a group 46 is a convention or a congregation from meeting 47 , that is, gathering together into one, whence it is called a meeting, because there all meet, as 48 a convention 49 , a group or a council from 50 the association of many into one.
Bcan4 : IIII
E97: Process book
P102; BII13 : IIII 51

That in the beginning the manner in which the council is to be celebrated should be laid down 52 and that 53 the canons of the apostles should be placed in charge of the other councils and then the mixed decrees of the apostolic letters and the rest

[H. 4] But at the beginning of this volume, we have stated how the council is celebrated among us, so that those who wish to follow our order 54 may know, <A367, f. 4rb> how they should do this. But those who have chosen better to do this, let them do 55 what they judge by a just, canonical and wise 56 counsel 57 <I83, f. 1va>verint Finally, because of their 58 authority, we have put the canons before the other councils, which are said to be of the apostles, although by some they are called apocryphal, since the majority of them 59 receive them and the holy fathers their sentences with the authority of the synodal 60 <N442, f. 3vb> strengthened <VD38, f. 3v> and among the canonicals they placed constitutions. Then we interposed the decrees of certain letters of the apostles, that is, Clement, Anacletus, and Evaristus <E97, f. 1vb> and the other apostolic letters 61 that we have been able to find 62 until now , even to Pope Sylvester. But afterwards we established the Nicene Synod because of the authority of the same great council. Next <V630, f. 2ra> <BII13, f. 4ra> of the different councils of the Greeks and Latins, whether those which were formerly, or 63 which were afterwards held, under the order of 64 numbers and <Bcan4, f. 17v> we have placed the chapters of the times distinctly under the aspect of this volume, submitting also the rest of the decrees of the apostle of the Romans up to St. Gregory and some of his letters, in which, as the summit of the apostolic see, there is no unequal authority 65 of the councils , in so far as the discipline of the ecclesiastical order 66 is united by us < I83, f. 1vb> and the holy forefathers of the father should be established by rules, and the obedient ministers of the church or 67 the people should be imbued with spiritual examples and 68 not be deceived by the perversities of bad men 69

P102; BII13 : 5 70 That many accusers of priests, depressed by perversity and greed, have existed and oppressed them, and that judges are not to be believed unless they are shown by certain evidence
[H. 5] For many 71 depressed by perversity and lust, the accusing priests oppressed them. Therefore the holy fathers composed 72 laws , which they called holy canons.
Many 73 therefore accuse others, that they may excuse themselves through them, or 74 be enriched by their goods. Most of the good 75 Christians are therefore silent, and bear the sins of others, which they know, because they are often left with documents, with which they can prove to the ecclesiastical judges 76 what they themselves know, 77 because although there are some truths 78 , they are not to be believed by the judges, except those they are shown by certain evidence 79 , except those which are convinced by a manifest judgment, except those which are published by order of the judiciary 81 .
VD38 : Of the despoiled
Bcan4 :

VI OF THE ACCUSATORS AND THE SPOILERS
P102; BII13 :6 82 That no one can be accused according to 83 the canonical institution, called, judged, or condemned until he has been robbed of his possessions or knocked from his seat by force or terror
[H. 6] <BII13, f. 4rb> For no one 84 who has been robbed of his possessions, or has been driven from his seat by force or terror, before everything taken from him 85 is restored to him 86 by the laws, and he himself peacefully enjoys his honors for a long time, and his property 87 is regularly restored to his 88 for a long time<I83 f. 2ra>pore should freely possess honor, according to cano<A367, f. 4va>nicam can be accused, called, judged or condemned institution 89

Hence also the ecclesiastical history, compiled by Eusebius of Caesarea , 90 the bishop, of a certain woman who was accused of chastity by her husband, says: A command or decree 91 was passed by law by the emperor, so that he might first be allowed to organize the family affairs freely for a longer time, and then he would respond to the objections. All these <E97, f. 2ra> ecclesiastical as well as common and public laws 92 prescribe 93 . But the concordance of these 94 , if they were all laid down, would fail before the day 95 96 would be made of a letter similar to these and exceedingly protracted.

From the majority, however, 97 <N442, f. 4ra> we have decided to insert some here to challenge 98 others. For the holy 99 Leo the elders of the Roman church 100 said in the letter sent to the council of Chalcedon 101 , the beginning of which is: Leo bishop of the synod of Chalcedon 102 . I had indeed chosen 103 , my beloved, and the rest, in 104 which, among other things, 105 is thus testified, saying <V630, f. 2rb>: because we are not unaware that the state of many churches has been disturbed by perverse rivalries, and the most numerous <I83, f. 2rb> brothers who were unjustly knocked from their seats and carried into exile and others survived to a place 106 <BII13, f. 4va> substituted 107 , let the medicine of justice be applied to these first wounds. 108 And let no one be so destitute of his own 109 that another makes use of another's. Which error will all leave behind, so that no one's honor should perish, but 110 former bishops, with all their privileges, should have their proper rights restored.

The ancient apostles who were before the Nicene synod sanctioned the same 111 112 . He speaks of the same synod of 113 , which was held in Lamsa in 114 under Valentinian. Most Roman synods 115 testify to the same, Pope Symmachus and the other holy fathers sanctioned the same, whose statutes, to avoid procrastination, we have omitted to insert here. But if anyone wishes to know and read these things more fully, he will be able to find them and read them fully 117 in his authors . But for us this 119 in the preface <Bcan4, f. 18r> these cells are sufficient for 120 And as a soldier 121 out of many weapons 122 suffices those things which he can carry 123 appropriately upon himself, so we have one or two 124 sentences out of many , or as many as may be necessary at that time <I83, f. 2va>, they are sufficient, since, as with one or two weapons we conquer the enemy , so with one or two sentences 126 we overcome the rival with full authority.

For if concerning women <A367, f. 4vb> and these things were established for secular men, much more were they granted to 127 ecclesiastical men and priests. These same 128 ecclesiastical rights command and the laws of the age 129 prescribe.
Bcan 4: VII
P102; BII13: VII 130

On the accusers of the age whom the laws forbid
[H. 7] Similarly 131 accusers and accusations 132 , <BII13, f. 4vb> which the laws of the age forbid, the canonical authority thoroughly rejects.
Bcan 4: VIII
P102; BII13: VIII 133

That the authority of assembling the apostolic synods is entrusted to the private power of the see
[H. 8] Synods 134 <E97, f. 2rb> but the authority of congregating the apostolic see 135 is entrusted to a private 136 power, and we do not read that any synod was approved which was not assembled or supported by its authority 137 . Canonical authority attests to this, ecclesiastical history confirms this, the holy fathers confirm this .

A367: That there are more chapters of the Nicene council than this which we have with us

Bcan4 : 81 of the chapters of the Council of Nice

P102; BII13 : 81 139 That more 140 than those 20 chapters which we have with us are to be found at the Nicene Synod

[H. 9] But you, the eighty 142 bishops who compelled me to begin and complete this work, and all the rest of the Lord's priests , must know that more than those twenty chapters which are held among us, we found in the Nicene 144 synod , and in the decrees of Pope Julius seventy chapters of the same <I83, f. 2vb> we read that there must be a synod. What letter 145 <N442, f. 4rb> we have placed them in their order among the other decrees of the apostles, for the search of those who search and all who wish to know them. For the fact that there are more than twenty 146 chapters of the Nicene council is found in many places.

For it is read in the Council of Constantinople thus: It is manifest 147 that those things which are throughout each province <V630: f. 2va>, the synod of his own province shall dispense, as 148 Nicaea agrees that the decree was made by the council.

It is read 149 150 and in 151 the letter of Pope Innocent to Victricius of Rotomagen 152 153 directed to the bishop of Rotomagen as follows: If any causes or contentions have arisen between clerics and laymen or between clerics of both higher and lower order, it was agreed that according to the Nicene synod 154 all the bishops of the same province should be assembled the judgment shall be terminated, and the rest.

155 156 also of holy memory, Bishop Theophilus Alexandrinus mentions in his epistles that it was established in the Nicene council, that from the eighth day of March until the ninth day of April, namely twenty 157 and eight days, whatever moon 158 was born 159 in any <I83, f. 3ra> in the middle of the space, he 160 makes the beginning of the first month, but the fourteenth 161 from the twelfth Kl. April until in 162 the fourteenth 163 Kl. May be skillfully inquired 164 , even if it falls on the Sabbath day, the following Sunday, that is the fifteenth moon 165 , he wrote to celebrate Easter 166 , and if on Sunday the moon 167 the fourteenth of the same month, that is the first month, it happens that the week itself 168 is transferred to the second Sunday , wrote to celebrate the Passover in 169 without doubt.

From these and many other examples it is clear that there were more than twenty chapters of the Nicene council and
A367 : that the epistle of Julius about the 70th chapter of the Council of Nice is true
that the aforesaid letter of Pope Julius is true 170 171 <E97, f. 2va> For us 172 but 173 some 174 from con<A367, f. A lot of our Eastern brothers testified that they had seen the council 175 Nicene having the priority 176 containing in itself the greatness of the four gospels the sessions of the bishops and the introductions 177 and the judgments of the inquiries 178 and the definitions 179 and the constitutions as well as their signatures.
Bcan4 : X

P102 : X That the great council of Chalcedon was drawn up after the similitude of the Nicene council, and of the heretics of the origin of Didymus and Evagrius and others
[H. 10] To the likeness of which they confirmed that the great council of Chalcedon 180 had been drawn up 181 , and finally another was founded at Constantinople 182 , one namely under the emperor Justinian <Bcan4, f. 18v> con<I83, f. 3rb>among the adversaries of God, Origen 183 , Didimus and Evagrius , and another in the times of Agathon 184 , the pope and the emperor Constantine , against the bishop Macharius and Stephen his disciple and the rest of the bishops, who instead of wheat sowed tares 185 in the churches, mixed wine with water and gave the neighbor a turbid drink by overthrowing 186 187 and like wolves lambs 188 they pretended 189 to lie, and the truth was refuted as a lie.
Bcan4 : XI

P102 : Of the four principal councils from which the 190 churches hold the most complete doctrine of the faith
[H. 11] We must also know 191 , although the rest <VD38, f. 4r> do not 192 weaken 193 , there are four principal councils 194 , of which the most plenary <N442, f. 4va> they hold the doctrine of faith 195 of the church both about the divinity of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit and about the incarnation of the aforesaid Son and our Saviour.

E97 : Nicene council

Prior to these, the Nicene Synod of three hundred and ten and eight bishops was held under Constantine Augustus, in which Arrian's 198 blasphemy of perfidy was condemned , by which the inequality of the holy trinity was the same Arius asserted, consubstantial God the Father God the Son the same holy synod by symbol defined

E97 : Council of Constantinople
Second synod 206 <V630, f. 2vb> one hundred and fifty fathers gathered under Theodosius the elder in Constantinople 207 <I83, 3va>, which condemned the Macedonians who denied the holy spirit to be God, showed the consubstantial father and son the same paraclete, giving the form of a wider symbol than all Greece and Latinity preaches in the churches.

E97 : Council of Ephesus
The third synod of Ephesus 208 was the first of the two hundred bishops issued under the younger Theodosius Augustus, which condemned Nestorius, who asserted two persons in Christ, with just anathema, showing that the one person of our Lord Jesus Christ remains in two natures.

E97 : Council of Chalcedon
The fourth is the synod of Chalcedon 210 of six hundred and thirty priests held under Martianus the prince, in which Eutychen, the 211 abbot of Constantinople, proclaimed the one nature of the word of God and of the flesh <E97, f. 2vb> and his former defender 212 of the Dioscors 213 the bishop of Alexandria and himself again 214 Nestorius with the rest of the heretics was condemned by one sentence of the fathers 215 , the same synod proclaiming 216 Christ the god thus 217 born of a virgin, <A367, f. 5rb> that 218 in one 219 substance 220 221 and 222 the divine and human natures may be confessed. These are 223 , as we predicted <I83, f. 3vb>, four principal 224 and venerable synods completing the Catholic faith 225 .

But even if there are 226 councils, which 227 the holy fathers were sanctified by the spirit of God, after 228 these four 229 authorities remain firmly established.
Indeed, the first 230 order, as has been foretold, is said to be inserted concerning the celebrating council, and afterwards the canons of the apostles and the first apostles, that is, the decrees from Saint Clement to Saint Sylvester, and 231 the breviary of the different councils 232 is interpolated 233 following 234 its order.

Leucius Charinus

The First Letter of Pope Alexander
supposedly bishop of Rome
from c. 107 to his death c. 115.

Fabricated in the 9th century
by the Latin church forgery mill known as Pseudo-Isidore
and mentioning the trinity about 60 times.

Alexander --- Letter 1

BEGINNING THE EPISTLE OF ALEXANDER POPE
TO THE UNIVERSAL ORTHODOX ESTABLISHED EVERYWHERE
DIRECTLY ABOUT NOT TO HARASS PRIESTS
NOR DEMANDING FROM THEM THROUGH FEAR OR SOME FRAUD
AND ABOUT THE PASSION OF THE LORD IN THE CONSECRATION OF HIS BODY
TO MIX AND WATER WITH SALT TO BLESS THE PEOPLE
AND OF THE FAITH OF THE HOLY TRINITY.[

Bcan4 : I
P102; BII13 : 1 Quid 13 is to reject the commandment of God and transgress the boundaries of the ancient fathers
<E97, f. 28va> [H. 1] Alexander the 14th bishop to all the orthodox throughout the different provinces celebrating Christ the Lord.
Thinking for us 15 the fear 16 of divine judgment, dearest brothers, and after this life each one, according to what he has done, <O93, f. 9rb> will receive, what 17 comes in 18 complaint 19 , <VD38, f. 50ra> it was not permitted to be silent, but necessity commanded us 20 to speak 21 , saying the prophet: Exalt 22 as a trumpet your voice 23 , and to whom is the care 24 25 of all the churches 26 27 , if 28 dissimilar 29 30 , <SG670, p. 84a> I will hear the Lord 31 saying: You have rejected 32 God's command to establish your traditions. For what else is it to reject 33 the commandment of God than to delight more freely in private 34 counsel, in the judgment 35 of man, in establishing new things 36 ? Whence 37 and elsewhere it is written: Do not transgress 38 39 the ancient boundaries, <S105, f. 34v> which your fathers 40 have established . The bounds are undoubtedly transgressed, who the statutes of the fathers 41 <N442, f. 27rb> post<P9629, f. 3r> [puts 42 43 and confuses 44 .
N442 : Of the persecutors of the bishops
P102; BII13 :

2 On not harassing priests
[H. 2] <BII13, f. 46ra> reached 45, for <I83, f. 55ra> to the conscience 46 of the apostolic seat, that some 47 are so stupid 48 49 who do not obey the Lord's precepts <V630, f. 27vb> and the 50 statutes of the apostles and their successors should not be observed at all
S105 : Not the infamous persecutors of the bishops
and those of whom the Lord says: He who touches you touches the apple of my eye, not only do they not hesitate to touch, but they are also not afraid to persecute 52 . And even though they persecute us, because they neither can persecute us without them 53 nor can they persecute them without us 54 , since we are his disciples 55 who commanded us to lay down 56 souls 57 for our brothers, yet we did not dare to conceal from them their dangers and perditions , ne] prophetic, that <SG670, p. 84b> away, let us be damned by the sentence which 58 says: If 59 you announce to the wicked 60 you have delivered your iniquity, your soul 61 . But if you do not 62 announce 63 to him, I will require his blood at your hand.
183; Bcan4 :

Of violence
VD38 : Alexander also says about the same thing in the first letter
P102; BII13 :3 64 Concerning the writings not being demanded by the priests through fear or some 65 fraud
[H. 3] There is also 66 67 this brought to this holy 68 69 seat, which he is ashamed 70 71 to say, and is not only an enemy to the priestly name, but also to the whole Christian name, that is, that he does not<VD38, f. 50rb> no 72 bishops 73 or priests 74
BII13 : that the lord priests do nothing through fear
either by fear they compel or 75 by force 76 extort 77 or by fraud 78 they deceive, some con<I83, f. 55rb> of their 79 labor to the other 80 81 part 82 which they owe, or for their own 83 requisition 84 of things, or, what is worse, to a foreign 85 sect of error 86 87 to make scriptures and 88 to strengthen 88 with their own hands 89 and recite before the people and 90 confess . <E97, f. 28vb> <BII13, f. 46rb> They say that some should be shut up in prisons and prisons 91 , so that at least 92 93 he becomes terrified of these snares 94 95 of the lord's 96 priests and favors his 97 pleasures.
Bcan4 : IIII
P102; BII13 : IIII It is not permissible for the conspirators of the holy church of Christ to accuse the priests to the public judges
[H. 4] It is reported 98 in addition to the summit 100 of this holy and 99 apostolic seat , to which summarum <SG670, p. 85a> the dispensations 101 102 of the causes and all the affairs of the churches were delivered by the Lord himself as if 103 to the head 104 and himself 105 saying to Peter, the prince of the apostles: You are Peter 106 and on this rock I will build my church.
BII13 : that the lord priests in no way presume to go to the public judges
that certain rivals 107 of Christ and his 108 plotters of the holy church, priests of God to the judges <Bcan4, f. 52r> they presume to accuse the public 109 110 , whereas the Apostle 111 commands that the causes of Christians be brought to the churches 112 and terminated there. Such transgressors have transgressed 113 against their god, and do not obey 114 his precepts 115 , of which the Lord speaks through the prophet Hosea, saying: Like cows playing 116 117 they declined and loved 118 bring<I83, f. 55va>re ignominium 119 to his protectors 120 And the same: Woe to them, because they have withdrawn from me, they will be wasted 121 , because they transgressed against me, and I redeemed 122 123 them, and they themselves spoke lies against me and did not cry 124 <SG670, p. 85b> to 125 me in 126 his heart, but they howled in their beds 127 , <S105, f. 35r> they were munching on wheat and wine 128 129 and withdrew 130 from me. <BII13, f. 46va> I trained and strengthened their arms, and in 131 they thought of me as a mischief. They returned to be <N442, f. 27va> without <VD38, f. 50va> yoke, they became like a treacherous bow 132 . The Lord will cast out 133 them 134 , says the same 135 prophet, because 136 they did not listen 137 to him, and they will be 138 wanderers 139 in the nations.
VD38 : Of clerics or laymen who accuse bishops or priests to primates or judges before they denounce those by whom they have been harmed
P102; BII13 : 5 What does the Lord say through the prophet Hosea about clerics or laymen who accuse bishops first or the rest of the priests to the primates and to the rest of the judges than they press into the ears of those by whom they think they have been injured so that they 140 receive a just 141 apology
[H. 5] Concerning 142 these 143 clerics or laymen, who bishops 144 or the rest 145 priests before so to their primates <V630, f. 28ra> than to the rest 146 do the judges accuse, than to the ears of those by whom they esteem themselves injured 147 148 149 , they inculcate 150 that they may receive from them either their right 151 or a just 152 153 apology 154 , likewise through the same Lord said 155 to the prophet 156 : Hear , the house of Israel, and 157 listen 158 , the house of the king, and pay attention, priests, because the judgment is with you, because you have become a snare 159 of speculations 160 and <SG670, p. 86(68)a> net 161 spread 162 over Tabor, defeated<I83, f. 55 vb> and you have fallen into the deep. And I am the teacher of all of you. And elsewhere: You are all heated like an oven 163 because you have devoured 164 your judges. For they 165 decline the master's victims into the deep, who devour them or unjustly 166 tear them, who are called the master's 167 eyes 168 .
183; Bcan 4 : Those who tear apart the priests
<BII13, f. 46vb> For if only any of the eyes of the secular prince <E97, f. 29ra> would tear 169 or remove 170 , <O93, f. 9va>
BII13 : about the eyes of princes
would he be 171 guilty of the crime of majesty 172 173 or not? Indeed, either 174 he would be given over to death 175 or he would be forever marked 176 with infamy 177 . If such things 178 are done to men for the powers of the world, what do you think 179 should be done for these 180 , of whom the Lord says: He who touches you touches the pupil of my eye.

P9629 : Not to accuse the bishops
I have no doubt that those 181 who persecute them 182 and remove them 183 184 strive 185 unjustly against the apostolic authority 186 , if they are prevented from death by saying to the master: I do not want death <VD38, f. 50vb> of the sinner, but that he may be converted and live, yet they are marked perpetually 187 188 <SG670, p. 86 ( 68 ) . _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 56ra>pos or we block the voice of testifying against them, whom we know to be dead not by human, but by divine acts, of whom the Lord speaks through the same prophet: 197 198 Suffering slander is broken 199 by judgment, because he began to walk 200 after dirt, and I am like a moth to Ephraim and 201 as if the house of Judah was rotting, and Ephraim saw his 202 languor 203 and Judas his bond <BII13, f. 47ra> and Ephraim went to Assyria and sent an avenger to the king 204 , and he himself will not be able to heal you or release 205 your bond. For those who 206 sacrilegiously 207 persuasion 208 209 persecute 210 and endeavor to tear to pieces the bishops or those who sacrifice 211 rightly 212 to the Lord , undoubtedly persecute him 213 and tear him to pieces 214 , who serve in his stead, whence the Lord says through the prophet Joel: Will <SG670, p. 87a> do you avenge me 215 ? <S105, f. 35v> And if you take revenge 216 against me, quickly, quickly I will repay you the vengeance 217 on your head. <P9629, f. 3v> [ And through 218 Amos the prophet the Lord says: Who is wise, and will understand these things, understanding 219 , will know 220 these things? Because <Bcan4, f. 52v> the Lord of the straight paths, and the righteous shall walk in them, the transgressors <VD38, f. 51ra> vero cor<I83, f. 56rb>ru<N442, f. 27 vb>ent in them. And the truth itself says: He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you 221 rejects me . destructions of men with all of this holy see, which the Lord has established as the head of the whole church, we forbid such things to happen to the members 225 , lest 226 con<V630, f. 227 ] the Lord's people shall be founded for ever. For we also read what was forbidden by our predecessors 228 , so that no one should grieve 229 the teachers or take up an accusation against them. <E97, f. 29rb> For he himself was the leader of the apostles in the ordination [of blessed Clement] the people <SG670, p. 87b> instructing him, he said: Whoever grieves the teacher with the truth<BII13, f. 47rb>tis, he sins against Christ and provokes God, the father of all , because of which he will also lose his life. And the teacher of the Gentiles says: If a man is preoccupied with some offense, you who are spiritual 232 support him in a spirit of gentleness 233 , considering yourself, lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's 234 burdens 235 and thus you will fulfill 236 the law of Christ.
Bcan4 : VI
P102; BII13 : 6

That all the persecutors or tearers of the holy fathers are infamous and must be made aliens from the limits 237 of the church until satisfaction and that they should not be favored or spoken to whom the bishop 238 separates from the church
[H. 6] Considering these 239 pieties 240 and avoiding dangers of souls together with om<I83, f. 56 to the priests of the Lord, who have gathered with us in this sacred city, and with all the members of this chapter, as we received from the blessed apostles and 241 from the rest 242 holy 243 fathers 244 and 245 successors 246 of them, establishing <VD38, f. 51rb> we decree 247 all 248 who persecute the holy 249 fathers, or are manifestly striving to remove 250 251 or tear 252 them apart 253 , to be infamous 254 255 and strangers from 256 the limits 257 258 of the church until satisfaction 259
BII13 : that God hates those who take up arms against their fathers
because so 260 he hates <SG670, p. 88a> god 261 those who are armed against the fathers as invaders or destroyers 263 of the fathers 263 , who therefore 264 are made infamous 265 , because the fathers perse<BII13, f. 47va> they are called Since 266 if 267 it is not permitted to speak to them 268 , to whom the supreme teachers, whom we call bishops 269 , are opposed because of their crimes, how much more 270 271 to them , who 272 infest them 273 274 , we must neither agree 275 nor speak 276 , lest they be found 276 partakers of them crimes, because not only those who commit them, but those who consent to those who commit 277 them, are responsible.
Bcan4 : Of those not favored by the bishops and rejected
Wherefore 278 and 279 the blessed chief of the apostles Peter, in the ordination 280 of our holy 281 predecessor 282 Clement, instructing the clergy and the people, says:
N442; I83 : Of those not favored by the bishop and rejected
If Clement has been an enemy to anyone for his actions, do not ex<I83, f. 56 vb> look, that he himself may say to you :

VD38 : Of those not favored by the bishop and rejected
Do not be friends with him, but you must observe prudently and obey his will 284 without communication 285 and turn away 286 from him to whom you feel himself averse 287 288 , but do not 289 speak to those to whom he <SG670, p. 88b> he does not speak, so that every one who is in fault 290 , while he desires 291 to bear the friendship of all of you, hastens more quickly 292 <S105, f. 36r> to reconcile 293 to him who to all <VD38, f. 51va> is in charge, and through this he returns to safety, when he begins to obey the warnings of the president.
S105 : To whom the bishop is an enemy in common with them, and we must not speak in the same way
If indeed <O93, f. 9vb> who has been a friend 294 to those to whom he does not speak, he is one <E97, f. 29va> and 295 himself of those who exterminate 296 the church of God <N442, f. 28ra> they will, and while he appears to be with you in body , 297 he is against you in mind and spirit.
Bcan4 : Of writings violently twisted
and there is a much worse 298 enemy 299 300 here than those who are 301 abroad 302 <V630, f. 28va> and they are evidently enemies. For here 303 he wears the appearance of friendships 304 which are enemies 305 and 306 scatters and devastates the church 307 .
P9629; S105 : On writings twisted by force 308
I83 :

On writings violently twisted
VD38 : Before
Bcan4 : VII
P102; BII13 : 7 That the writings be twisted 309 in any way by fear or fraud or by force if they have been written or strengthened by any means they do not have prejudice 310 or slander or kidnapping
[H. 7] <BII13, f. 47vb> Similarly 311 if certain writings of such 312 persons were somehow 315 extorted 315 by fear 313 or by fraud 314 or by force 316 , as if 317 they could free themselves 318 319 , wherever written by them 320 <I83, f. 57ra> or they have been strengthened by genius 321 , to none of them <SG670, p. 89a> prejudice 322 <Bcan4, f. 53r> or 323 harm 324 we consider to come 325 326 nor do we allow them to bear any 327 328 infamy or slander or 329 kidnapping from their own 330 331 the good author of the Lord and the holy apostles and their successors 332 . Confession in such cases must not be forced 333 , but must be made spontaneously 334 by the witness himself, who says: For from the heart proceed murders 335 , adulteries, fornications, blasphemies 336 and the rest 337 , which are related to these things, and are not to be attended to 338 only , which are done , how much, with what mind they are made, of which 339 examples, if we began to write everything, before the days <VD38, f. 51vb> which examples fail. Hence it is that the Lord looked at Abel's gifts and not at Cain's, because he focuses 340 341 more on the mind of the offerer 342 than on the things that are offered. Then 343 and the Lord 344 says through the prophet 345 : The Lord knows 346 the thoughts of men. And through 347 Hosea's death 348 he says: <SG670, f. 89b> Let the trumpet be in your throat like an eagle over the house of the lord, and the rest. And the Lord says in the Gospel 350 : But you, when you have prayed, enter <I83, f. 57rb> into the room 351 and after closing the door 352 pray to your father.
VD38 :

What is not valid is a confession that is made out of necessity
For every 353 354 confession, which is made out of necessity, <BII13, f. 48ra> faith is not 355 And the Apostle said: For with the heart is believed unto righteousness, but with the mouth confession is made unto salvation . 357 But God regards thoughts and spontaneous wills 358 more than acts which are done through simplicity or 359 360 through necessity 361 . Confession 362 should not be coerced in such cases 363 , but 364 should rather be freely offered 365 . For it is worst 366 to judge anyone on the basis of suspicion or twisted 367 368 confession, since he is more the inspector of the heart 369 than of the work, and rather requires 370 pure thoughts 371 and good intentions than 372 lying lips. Hence the Lord speaking through the prophet <SG670, p. 90a> he says: This people 373 honors me with their lips, but the heart 374 <P9629, f. 4r> [theirs is far from me. Peius 375 would be bad 376 <VD38, f. 52ra> I esteem no more than Christians 377 <E97, f. 29vb> to envy his priests. For the master knows 378 379 who are his 380 .
Bcan4; I83 :

On the accusers of the bishops
But it cannot be condemned by a human being <S105, f. 36v> examine whom God has reserved for his 382 judgment. If 383 everything were vindicated 384 in this world , divine judgments would have no place.
VD38 : Of the accusers of the bishops
P102; BII13 : VIII On the accusers of the bishops
[H. 8] But as for the other judges, I did not before<183, f. 57va>beant than 385 to himself 386 priests or ministers of the church to accuse 387 , thus from tem<N442, f. 28rb> for the 388 apostles and below we find it observed and defined.
P9629; S105 : A complaint against a bishop or church administrator
If 389 anyone 390 towards 391 the bishop or the administrators of the church <V630, f. 28vb> any] complaint 392 he believes to have a just 393 , he must not first go to the primates or others 394 [judges, <BII13, f. 48rb> than those by whom he esteems himself injured 395 , let him meet familiarly, not once, but very often, so that 396 he may receive from them 397 either his justice or 398 [just 399 400 ] <SG670, p. 90b> an apology. But if he does otherwise 401 , he will be deprived of communion by them and by others 402 as despisers of the apostles and fathers of others 403 , of whom 404 the prophet says: They will be as if they were not 405 and men will perish 406 who contradict you.
N442 : On the mixing of the body and blood of the master
VD38 : Of the mixing of the master's body
P102; BII13 : 81

On the suffering of the Lord in the consecration of his body, mixing water with salt to bless the people
[H. 9] In the offerings 407 of the sacraments 408 , which are offered 409 to the Lord between the solemnities of the Masses 410 , the passion of the Lord must be mingled, so that his 411 , whose body and blood are made, may be celebrated in this way,
S105 : Nothing but 412 bread and wine mixed with water to be offered on the altar
as the repulsion of wealth<VD38, f. 52rb>nion 413 of superstitions only bread and wine mixed with water 414 should be offered in sacrifice.
P9629 : Nothing but bread and wine mixed with water 415 to be offered on the altar
For it is not necessary, as we have received from the fathers and reason itself teaches, in the cup 416 of the Lord either wine 417 alone or a<I83, f. 57 vb> which 418 should be offered alone, but 419 both mixed together, because both are read to have flowed from his side 420 in passion. But the truth itself 421 instructs us to offer the cup and the bread in the sacrament 422 when it says: He accepted <Bcan4, f. 53v> Jesus <SG670, p. 91a> he blessed the bread and gave it to his disciples, saying: Take 423 and eat 424 , for this is 425 my body, which 426 will be given for you. Similarly, after he had dined, he took the cup, <BII13, f. 48va> he gave to his disciples, saying 427 : Take and drink from it 428 429 all of you, because this is the cup of my blood, which is poured out for you 430 for the remission 431 of sins.
P9629; S105 :

Crimes to be deleted by offering 432
For the crimes and sins offered by these sacrifices to the Lord are blotted out.
BII13 : that sins are forgiven in the consecration of Christ's body and blood
therefore also his passion must be remembered in these 433 , by which we are 434 redeemed, and often recited and <O93, f. 10ra> these things to be offered to the Lord. He will be pleased with such sacrifices 435 and the Lord will be appeased and forgive 436 huge sins 437 . For nothing can be greater in sacrifices than the body and blood of Christ, nor any offering <E97, f. 30ra> this 438 439 is preferable 440 , but this 441 surpasses all 442 <VD38, f. 52va> Which must be offered to the Lord with a pure conscience 443 and taken with a pure mind 444 445 and come from all<I83, f. 58ra>randa 446 . And as it is more important than the rest, so rather from <SG670, p. 91b> coli 447 and must be venerated.
P9629; S105 :

Holy water to be sprinkled 448
SG670 : Note that Alexander did this first
Water 449 450 for salt 451 con<S105, f. 37r> we bless the 452 people, so that 453 those who are sprinkled 454 may be sanctified and 455 purified, which we command all 456 priests to do.
VD38 : On sanctified water
BII13 : on the sprinkling of ashes on the calf
For if 457 ashes 458 sprinkled on a calf sanctified 459 and cleansed the people, much more water 460 sprinkled with salt and consecrated with divine prayers sanctifies the people <N442, f. 28 and cleanses. And if the sterility 462 of water sprinkled with salt 461 was cured by the prophet Elisha , how much more does he sanctified 463 by divine prayers 463 remove the sterility 464 of things 465 human and polluted 467 468 he sanctifies and purifies, and other 469 goods multiply, and so on<BII13, f. 48 vb> averts the gods of the devil 470 , and 471 defends man from 472 phantasms 473 versuities 474 . For if we do not doubt 475 the touch 476 of the fringe of the garment 477 of the savior 478 that the weak are saved, how much more by the power of the sacred 479 of his divine words <V630, f. 29ra> the elements are consecrated, <SG670, p. 92a> in which fragility perceives the health of the human body and soul 480 Therefore 481 and others were instructed in the document <183, f. 58rb>tis vota 482 <VD38, f. 52vb> respect each one 483 of the Lord's priests, and by the power of the Holy Spirit, through the prayers of God, through the ministry 484 divinely conferred upon you, 485 strive to complete 486 . Consecrate also the elements, both those which we have foretold, as well as 487 others 488 divine 489 suitable for uses 490 and human 491 necessary for infirmities 492 493 , take care of the infirm 494 and the rest that 495 belong to you 496 , diligently complete 497 . For the savior himself, giving us an example, said to his disciples : In my name cast out demons, cure the sick, heal the sick , 499 cleanse the lepers, and so on. Lay 500 hands on the weak , and they will do well.

V630 : Of the Trinity and Unity
P9629; S105 : That God is one and triune
VD38 : Here he speaks of the faith of the Holy Trinity
Bcan4 : On the Trinity X
P102; BII13 : X 501 On the faith of the Holy Trinity

[H. 10] We also received the faith 502 of the holy trinity thus taught by the fathers, which we intend to deliver to you as subjects 503 . For Isaiah the prophet says: I saw 504 <SG670, p. 92b> the lord of Sabaoth sitting on a high throne 505 and seraphim standing around him, six wings of one and six wings <BII13, f. 49ra> to the other, two 506 veiled 507 their face, two 508 they veiled 509 their feet and two flew 510 511 and cried 512 to 513 each other 514 515 saying: Holy, holy, holy Lord Sabaoth.

If there is no trinity, which <I83, f. 58va>re tertio 516 <E97, f. 30rb> they said a saint? Or if there is no unity, why under the triple repetition of 517 one <VD38, f. 53ra> the god and the lord intimated 518 ?

If there is no trinity, why is it said 519 in Genesis 520 : God said 521 , God did 522 and God blessed? If there is no unity, why did he say the third 523 god, and commend the gods 524 to the plural 525 number 526 ?

If there is no trinity, why is it said 527 in Exodus 528 the third time: Lord, Lord, Lord, merciful 529 and merciful? If there is no unity 530 , why would he say 532 to the third lord 531 , <P9629, f. 4v> [afterwards miserable 533 <Bcan4, f. 54r> singularly says 534 , and did not he intimate the sympathizers, in order to show them more?

If there is no trinity, why Abraham [at once 535 sitting in the womb and meeting the three 536 <S105, f. 37v> he said to one 537 lord, and not, as he saw 538 , to three <SG670, f. 93a> of greeting 539 540 submission 541 ] returned?

[If there is no trinity, why 542 with the god of Abraham 543 and 544 of Moses , the god of Isaac 545 and the god of Jacob, should the third 546 be called unity] showing, this <N442, f. 28vb> for me there is a name, he said, 547 , and not 548 , these are our names, he pointed out? Si] trinity 549 it is not, therefore David said the third time: May God bless us, our God, may God bless us? If there is no unity 550 , why, when he had named God the third time 551 , did he say bless 552 , and added that they should not bless? If trini<I83, f. 58vb>tas [it is not, why Isaiah] again 553 says: Lord God 554 Sabaoth, <BII13, f. 49rb> god 555 Israel, who sits above the cherubim? If there is no unity, <VD38, f. 53rb> why did he say who sat 556 and not who built the seats 557 ?

If there is no trinity 558 , why is it said in the 559 book of the Kingdoms: Lord 560 , god 561 omnipotent 562 , god 563 of Israel, may your words be faithful 564 565 ? If there is no unity, why is it called yours 566 and not yours rather intimated?

If there is no trinity, why is it sung in the 567 fiftieth 568 eighth 569 psalm : Lord 570 of the mighty, god 571 of Israel, look to visit <SG670, f. 93b> do you give 572 all nations? <V630, f. 29rb> If there is no unity, why did he put intently and not intently, as 573 is predicated 574 , intimated 575 ?

If there is no trinity, why in the Apocalypse 576 does he say 577 for the third time : Holy 578 Lord Almighty God, who is and who was 579 ? If unity is not 580 , why is not who are and 581 582 who were 583 plural 584 designated?

If there is no trinity 585 , why 586 in Deuteronomy 587 is it said: The Lord 588 your God is merciful 589 590 and will hear your voice? If there is no unity, why did he say that he will hear, and he intimated that they would not hear?

If there is no trinity, why is it said in the 591 Jesus Ship 592 593 book: Lord 594 god of gods 595 ? If 596 unity is not 597 , why is it, he said, and there are not <183, f. 59ra> more 598 of speech 599 600 <E97, f. 30va> introduced 601 ?

If there is no trinity, why Elias <O93, f. 10rb> praying 602 : Lord, Lord 603 God show Israel, because you are my God said? If there is no unity, why show it and not show it?

If there is no trinity, why did Mordecai pray 604 : Lord, Lord, God <VD38, f. 53va> <BII13, f. 49va> omnipotent 605 , everything is in your 606 power 607 , he said? If there is no unity, why did he put it in yours and not sign it in yours 608 ? Si trini <SG670, f. 94a> it is not so, why even Judith 609 praying said: Lord, Lord, God 610 of all 611 virtues, look upon my prayer?

BII13 : that sins are forgiven in the consecration of Christ's body and blood
If 612 is not unity, why did 613 look back and not look back?

If there is no trinity, why is it said in Jeremiah: The Lord 614 is your god, God is true 615 ? If there is no unity, why did he say that it is truthful 616 and rather intimated the non-truthful?

If there is no trinity 617 , why is it written in the Apocalypse 618 : The Lord 619 God and the spirit of the prophets sent his angel to show his servants what must be done quickly? If there is no unity, why, when we call the father and the son and the holy spirit 620 <S105, f. 38r> nasset, he sent, he said, and they did not send under 621 622 pre-taxed 623 three persons 624 and introduced the names?

If the trinity is not 625 , why <I83, f. 59rb> in Deuteronomy it is said 626 : The Lord is your god, is this 627 a god? If there is no unity, why is he here, he said, and did he not designate these 628 as a plural number?
BII13 : on the sprinkling of ashes on the calf

If there is no trinity, why is it said in 629 in the same book: Lord <N442, f. 29ra> is your god, a great and powerful god 630 ? If there is no unity, why are the great and mighty 631 called plural 632 ?

If there is no trinity, why Tobi 633 with his son in the city of Rages 634 with 635 Raphahelo 636 <SG670, f. 94b> it is taught that he would send an angel, blessing them and said thus: God Abraham and God <BII13, f. 49vb> Isaac and the god Jacob himself <VD38, f. 53vb> fill 637 his blessing in you? If there is no unity, why did he say that he should fill 638 , and did not intimate that they themselves should fill it? Finally 639 640

if there is no trinity, why did the Lord set his disciples to baptize 642 all nations in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit ? If there is no unity, why did he say 643 in the name, and not in the names 644 commanding 645 ?

If there is no trinity, why does 646 Paul 647 the apostle say: From him and through him and in him are all things? <V630, f. 29va> If there is no unity, why did he set it up from himself 648 and not build it up from them 649 650 ?
For if you will 651 be more certain 652 653 <E97, f . 30vb>

recognize the unity 654 of the trinity 655 <I83, f. 59va>re 656 , a often said 657 doctor <Bcan4, f. 54v> as the apostle of the nations you can 658 conquer all 659 and follow the Catholic faith, and reject the perversity of these 660 661 . The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, says 662 , and the charity of God and communion <SG670, f. 95a> the holy spirit itself 663 is 664 the grace of the father 665 and the son and the spirit 666 , and thus you can fully understand and teach the faith of the holy trinity 667 with the help of the Lord.
Therefore 668 , dearest, we have laid down the rules of faith according to this 669 epistle 670 , so that we may continue faithfully in his confession and, by helping the Lord, deserve to have a good 671 end 672 .
<BII13, f. 50ra> Whoever therefore 673 wills 674 to be a friend of this world, is made an enemy of God 675 . Or do you think that the scripture says in vain : The spirit that dwells in you lusts to envy? <VD38, f. 54ra> But he gives greater grace, because of which it is said 677 : God resists the proud 678 , but gives grace to the humble. Be therefore subject to God, but resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Approach 680 the master 681 , and he will approach 682 you. Cleanse 683 684 your hands, sinners 685 , and purify 686 your hearts 687 , double minded 688 . Be miserable and mourn and weep, your laughter in mourning 689 con <SG670, f. 95b> turns 690 and joy into 691 692 me <I83, f. 59 vb> the dew 693 , humble yourselves in the sight 694 of the Lord, and he will exalt 695 you.
Do not draw down high<P9629, f. 5r>[rutrum 696 , my brothers, because whoever detracts from his brother or who judges his brother, detracts from the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not 697 a maker of the law, but a judge. For there is one 698 lawgiver 699 and judge, who can destroy and deliver. And you,] who are you 700 , who judges [the neighbor? Act now, rich men, weep and howl at your 701 miseries that will come upon you.] <S105, f. 38v> Your riches are rotten and your clothes are eaten by moths 702 Gold and silver <BII13, f. 50rb> of yours 703 and] their 704 will be a testimony to you, and the car will eat 705 <N442, f. 29rb> your nes as [fires. You have stored up 706 your wrath in the last days. Behold the wages of the laborers who harvested 707 your regions 708 709 . [He who has been defrauded 710 711 by] you, cries out 712 , and their cry entered the ears of the Lord Sabaoth 713 . You were feasted 714 <SG670, f. 96a> on the earth and in lusts 715 you nourished your hearts on the day 716 of the killing <VD38, f. 54rb> you brought 717 <E97, f. 31ra> You have killed 718 the righteous, and he does not resist 719 you.
Alas, <I83, f. 60ra> brothers, to those who tribulate you, the more you tribulate, the more purified 720 721 and the more blessed you become 722 , if the tribulation itself is patiently endured. Hence 723 truth itself says by itself: Blessed are 724 those who suffer persecution for righteousness' sake. And elsewhere: You will be blessed when men hate you <O93, f. 10va> and they have persecuted and cast out your name as evil. Rejoice in that day and exult, because your reward is great 725 726 in heaven.
<V630, f. 29vb> Date VIII 727 Cal. Aug. Trajan and Aelianus 728 vv. CC 729 _ Const.

///

https://www-pseudoisidor-mgh-de.transla ... r_sch=http