The dating the Similitudes of Enoch

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.

Re: The dating the Similitudes of Enoch

Postby Michael BG » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 am

John T wrote:2. Let's look at Enoch LXII once again : …

If those Enoch verses inspired Herod to go to the springs for healing then it would suggest that the Parables of Enoch were written before his reign.

I think this is most unlikely. Herod could find out about healing springs from other sources of information.

John T wrote:Finally, do you agree the phraseology matches the DSS more than the New Testament?

I have not done any comparisons except for the two standard Matthew ones and those in this thread regarding other NT ones. I am not aware of a coming heavenly figure at the end of time in the DSS. This is most likely because I have not studied the DSS.
Michael BG

Advertisements

by »

Re: The dating the Similitudes of Enoch

Postby John T » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:54 am

Michael BG wrote: I am not aware of a coming heavenly figure at the end of time in the DSS. This is most likely because I have not studied the DSS.

A couple of DSS sources that appears to be talking about a heavenly angel: 4Q521 A Messianic Apocalypse. IIQ13 Heavenly Prince Melchizedek.

The prophecies are strikingly similar to Jesus and his account of the Son of Man.
John T

Advertisement

by »

Previous

Return to Jewish Texts and History