Moses called Joachim ?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
andrewcriddle

Moses called Joachim ?

Post by andrewcriddle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 am

There are various bits of Jewish Haggadah/Midrash scattered throughout the works of Clement of Alexandria. Mostly they have rabbinic parallels. However in Stromateis book I Clement says about Moses
Thereupon the queen gave the babe the name of Moses, with etymological propriety, from his being drawn out of the water, — for the Egyptians call water mou,— in which he had been exposed to die. For they call Moses one who who breathed [on being taken] from the water. It is clear that previously the parents gave a name to the child on his circumcision; and he was called Joachim. And he had a third name in heaven, after his ascension, as the mystics say— Melchi.
There are various parallels to Melchi or similar as a name for Moses. The idea that his parents had already named him before putting him in the bulrushes is very plausible but I can find no parallel for Joachim as a name for Moses.

Can anyone help ?

Andrew Criddle

Secret Alias

Re: Moses called Joachim ?

Post by Secret Alias » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:46 pm

= raised by (God)
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm

It is at the core of Deuteronomy 18:18. "... I will raise up" one like Moses.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 pm

It's not from Jubilees.

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

The name Melchi is easier to explain - https://books.google.com/books?id=knLh2 ... nt&f=false

Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:46 pm

My guess is that it comes from the lost Assumption of Moses cited by Clement elsewhere - https://books.google.com/books?id=ya3xN ... es&f=false

andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:46 am

Secret Alias wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm
It is at the core of Deuteronomy 18:18. "... I will raise up" one like Moses.
I suspect you are on the right track, thanks. See History of the Bible

Andrew Criddle