Lot's Wife

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
semiopen

Lot's Wife

Post by semiopen »

A friend at Shul asked the Rabbi about the meaning of[wiki]Lot's_wife[/wiki], which can only mean her turning into a Pillar of Salt.

This shocked me a little because I always thought that this came from the geological formations near the Dead Sea and Mount Sodom. I was pleased to see that my instincts were correct.
A pillar of salt named "Lot's wife" is located near the Dead Sea at Mount Sodom in Israel. The Mishnah states that a blessing should be said at the place where the pillar of salt is.[4]
The Jewish historian Josephus claimed to have seen the pillar of salt which was Lot's wife.[6]
Of all the things in the bible this has to be one of the most straightforward. There was a weird Halite formation that looked like a woman etc and they made up a story around it.

Yet there is no lack of moral explanations. The obvious one is if you disobey a direct commandment of YHWH, next time you see him coming you better run.

http://www.pillarofsalt.com/
I have noticed that many preacher's wives have this very same mindset, (not all, thank God!) Their mental state is, for all practical purposes, no different from that of Lot's wife. They love the world, the flesh and the Devil -- not God.
Amen sister, Where does one find these harlot's?

When I see my friend again, I'll have to ask him what he was thinking in asking such an idiotic question.
Stephan Huller

Re: Lot's Wife

Post by Stephan Huller »

Well certainly not in Canada any more. The government just tabled a new anti-prostitution law just in time for my trip to my home and native land this year for Xmas. In the old days I had to wine and dine strippers at the Brass Rail and other places to have an interesting life. But that was so financially burdensome. Looks like I completely missed the happy times where sex was a freely available commodity like butter, cheese or anything else. :tombstone:
Thor

Re: Lot's Wife

Post by Thor »

Stephan Huller wrote:
Well certainly not in Canada any more. The government just tabled a new anti-prostitution law just in time for my trip to my home and native land this year for Xmas. In the old days I had to wine and dine strippers at the Brass Rail and other places to have an interesting life. But that was so financially burdensome. Looks like I completely missed the happy times where sex was a freely available commodity like butter, cheese or anything else. :tombstone:
You did not miss it. It is still as it was before, and ever has been, a freely available commodity. :thumbup: