This Might Be Useful for Gmirkin's Theory

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

This Might Be Useful for Gmirkin's Theory

Post by Secret Alias »

"Let of Eurysus the Pythagorean, which is as follows, who in his book On Fortune, having said that the "Creator, on making man, took Himself as an exemplar," added, "And the body is like the other things, as being made of the same material, and fashioned by the best workman, who wrought it, taking Himself as the archetype."

ἄξιον ἡγοῦμαι καὶ τὴν Εὐρύσου τοῦ Πυθαγορείου παραθέσθαι φωνὴν οὕτως ἔχουσαν, ὃς ἐν τῷ Περὶ τύχας τὸν δημιουργὸν φήσας αὑτῷ χρώμενον
παρα5.5.29.2 δείγματι ποιῆσαι τὸν ἄνθρωπον ἐπήγαγεν· τὸ δὲ σκᾶνος τοῖς λοιποῖς ὅμοιον, οἷα γεγονὸς ἐκ τᾶς αὐτᾶς ὕλας, ὑπὸ τεχνίτα δὲ εἰργασμένον 5.5.29.3 λῴστω, ὃς ἐτεχνίτευσεν αὐτὸ ἀρχετύπῳ χρώμενος ἑαυτῷ.
Secret Alias

Re: This Might Be Useful for Gmirkin's Theory

Post by Secret Alias »

I wonder whether the Jewish idea that God created man in his own image was shared by the Hermetic tradition and so originally Egyptian.
billd89

Re: Judeo-Pythagoreans of Plinthine

Post by billd89 »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 am I wonder whether the Jewish idea that God created man in his own image was shared by the Hermetic tradition and so originally Egyptian.
I wonder whether the idea that God created man in his own image was Chaladean/Judeo-Egyptian; because the Hermetic tradition also shared this premise, the Edelsteins elaborated the theory that Jewish Hermeticists (Therapeutae) were precursors to Christianity. I suppose Philo's Therapeut homeland was located in derelict mercenary barracks at Plinthine.

So-called "First Century Christianity" should be understood as Jewish Gnosticism, even if its heretical.
andrewcriddle

Re: This Might Be Useful for Gmirkin's Theory

Post by andrewcriddle »

Secret Alias wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:02 am "Let of Eurysus the Pythagorean, which is as follows, who in his book On Fortune, having said that the "Creator, on making man, took Himself as an exemplar," added, "And the body is like the other things, as being made of the same material, and fashioned by the best workman, who wrought it, taking Himself as the archetype."

ἄξιον ἡγοῦμαι καὶ τὴν Εὐρύσου τοῦ Πυθαγορείου παραθέσθαι φωνὴν οὕτως ἔχουσαν, ὃς ἐν τῷ Περὶ τύχας τὸν δημιουργὸν φήσας αὑτῷ χρώμενον
παρα5.5.29.2 δείγματι ποιῆσαι τὸν ἄνθρωπον ἐπήγαγεν· τὸ δὲ σκᾶνος τοῖς λοιποῖς ὅμοιον, οἷα γεγονὸς ἐκ τᾶς αὐτᾶς ὕλας, ὑπὸ τεχνίτα δὲ εἰργασμένον 5.5.29.3 λῴστω, ὃς ἐτεχνίτευσεν αὐτὸ ἀρχετύπῳ χρώμενος ἑαυτῷ.
This is probably a Pseudo-Pythagorean forgery See Paul's Anthropology

Andrew Criddle