William Propp - What Was The Exodus?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Blood

William Propp - What Was The Exodus?

Post by Blood »

Here's a very good introduction to the thought of William Propp, one of the more important Bible scholars working today. What sets him apart from the pack is that he is a PhD in Ancient History as well as the Hebrew Bible, and thus has a mind critical enough to draw a sharp distinction between these two fields (this video is the source of the quote in my signature line) -- something that most Bible scholars are either unwilling or incapable of recognizing.

If you find this video worthwhile, I highly recommend picking up his 2 volume study of the Book of Exodus in the Anchor Bible Series. Yes, it's expensive, but it's one of the greatest commentaries in modern times, up there with Westermann's 3 volume Genesis. My only criticism is that he accepts the Documentary Hypothesis lock, stock, and barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6TsppQ5UNY
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Clive

Re: William Propp - What Was The Exodus?

Post by Clive »

Isn't it a story made up probably around the time of rivers of Babylon to give a back story to a new nation?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
ficino

Re: William Propp - What Was The Exodus?

Post by ficino »

Good video, though I thought it dragged a bit toward the end (the Angels of Mons stuff). I learned a lot. Thanks for posting!