The jewish temple will be constructed soon.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
arnoldo

The jewish temple will be constructed soon.

Post by arnoldo »

How probable is this?
nili

Re: The jewish temple will be constructed soon.

Post by nili »

It's right up there with the likelihood that the Parthenon will return to it's former glory.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Even Maimonides said that sacrifices ought not to come back again.
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

Not any time soon. Aside from the gigantic political problem, there's also the issue that no one knows precisely where it was or where the altar was (it was probably the rock in the Dome of the Rock, but there's no certainty) or where the HOH was, and for ultra-Orthodoxy, everything has to be exactly where Solomon put it or the magic won't work. I'm pretty sure I've read someplace that at least some Orthodox Jews believe that the Messiah (and only the Messiah) will know the spot.

There are some who want to build a third Temple in a different spot anyway, but would that really count as the Temple?
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hagia Sophia is a museum, why not this area as well?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive

Post by Clive »

I understand that Judaism has basically accepted Bible Unearthed - including Orthodoxy.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Clive wrote:I understand that Judaism has basically accepted Bible Unearthed - including Orthodoxy.
Modern Orthodoxy has a lot of academics and those guys are sane (for lack of a better word). I mentioned something similar to your statement (including all modern orthodoxy) to a knowledgeable friend and he vehemently disagreed. Your statement is just wrong with orthodoxy in general.

I'm not sure it's supposed to be rebuilt before the appearance of the messiah (not to mention the resurrection of the dead) but there have always been crazies who want to hurry things along.

The whole thing is dangerous and stupid.

I almost started a thread about the crazy exegesis of fake Jerusalem references in the Pentateuch.

And King Melchizedek of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was a priest of God Most High.
(Gen 14:18 TNK)

May be a Jerusalem reference, but what happened to Jeru?

Moriah is supposed to be clearly the temple mount but even that has it's issues.
n the book of Chronicles it is reported that the location of Araunah's threshing floor is "in mount Moriah" and that the Temple of Solomon was built over Araunah's threshing floor.[1] This has led to the classical rabbinical supposition that this is at the peak of Moriah.
There is debate as to whether the two references (Genesis 22:2 and Chronicles 3:1) are correctly translated as the same word. For example, in the LXX, these verses are translated as:
Genesis 22:2: "And he said, Take thy son, the beloved one, whom thou hast loved—Isaac, and go into the high land, and offer him there for a whole-burnt-offering on one of the mountains which I will tell thee of"[2]
2 Chronicles 3:1: "And Solomon began to build the house of the Lord in Jerusalem in the mount of Amoria, where the Lord appeared to his father David, in the place which David had prepared in the threshing-floor of Orna the Jebusite."[3]
if the Temple Mount isn't Moriah, makes some Yoshke exegesis look a little silly - not that that is big news.

Jacob's ladder is sort of a joke. The Rabbis do a song and dance about Moriah moving to Luz/ Bethel. What makes that whole line absurd is that this was written by E who wanted to place things near Shechem. This also affects his return trip, where it is even more clear that Bethel is in Bethel.

It is too bad that Judaism can't somehow renounce this stupidity.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Assuming that the Dome_of_the_Rock and Al-Aqsa_Mosque would be abandoned so that that little complication is resolved, I'm not sure we'd see an immediate rush to build the temple. These structures date from the 7th and 8th century CE.

One would think that the site would be carefully excavated. Dr. G-d might have to wait a little while for his special order hamburgers.