Zealot Activity under Pilate?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Zealot Activity under Pilate?

Post by Peter Kirby »

maryhelena wrote:I don't think the issues I raised regarding your Judas the Galilean = Judas the brother of Jesus theory have been answered. However, if my input is not welcome - I'll back out as it seems the issue is rather a sensitive one...
It's not that. I just don't see what more needs to be said.

The relevance of the story is that it distances the Jesus "Messiah" that the Gospel writer believes in, from the Davidic "Messiah" expected by the Zealots.

The time frame is determined by various considerations: a desire to get John the Baptist in there as his Elijah (thus setting a lower bound), a desire to be consistent with the data that must have been known regarding pre-70 preachers (thus setting an upper bound), and possibly other factors.

Obviously you have your own views and your own position, and they are not the same as mine. But a recapitulation of your opinions is not a discussion of the hypothesis that I have been suggesting.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Peter Kirby wrote:
maryhelena wrote:I don't think the issues I raised regarding your Judas the Galilean = Judas the brother of Jesus theory have been answered. However, if my input is not welcome - I'll back out as it seems the issue is rather a sensitive one...
You mean you have won the jackpot re gospel theories? .... :o

The relevance of the story is that it distances the Jesus "Messiah" that the Gospel writer believes in, from the Davidic "Messiah" expected by the Zealots.
The counterpart to a Davidic 'Messiah' is not a Jesus 'Messiah' - it is a Joseph type Messiah figure. (Gen.ch.49) While a historical time frame might well put distance between them - proposing that one is historical and the other is 'heavenly' is a distance too far......

Peter, before one tries ones hand on making connections between gospel figures and Josephan figures - one has first to sort out the issue of Jesus. And no, it's no good saying Jesus is fictional therefore the equation is fictional Jesus = heavenly Jesus. That's pure speculation and adds nothing to searching for early christian origins. Best not to mix theology with a historical investigation.

The time frame is determined by various considerations: a desire to get John the Baptist in there as his Elijah (thus setting a lower bound), a desire to be consistent with the data that must have been known regarding pre-70 preachers (thus setting an upper bound), and possibly other factors.
Pilate is the time frame for all the gospel Jesus stories. If a theory has nothing to say about that time frame - then what value does it have for understanding the gospel story?

Obviously you have your own views and your own position, and they are not the same as mine. But a recapitulation of your opinions is not a discussion of mine.
Agreed. I don't think, in my posts to your thread that I have got side-tracked re Antigonus or Philip the Tetrarch - both historical figures being part and parcel of my own theory. My posts to your thread have primary been dealing with zealots and their lack of activity during the time of Pilate. And zealots, are they not, are the prime focus of your thread re your theory that Judas the Galilean = Judas the brother of the gospel Jesus.

That you seem to want to shut down, on your thread, discussion on the lack of zealot activity during the time of Pilate is, in view of your OP, surprising.

Anyway, as I said, I'll back out of discussing your theory.....
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W.B. Yeats
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

maryhelena wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:
You mean you have won the jackpot re gospel theories? .... :o
Try again.

I mean that your "issues" have been addressed and are not, in fact, "issues."

Is this what you call backing out? I have repeatedly tried to excuse myself, while you have multiplied words.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
John2

Post by John2 »

Maryhelena,

I mentioned in another thread that Josephus ties all the seditious activity of the first century (and the destruction of the temple) to the revolt of Judas in 6 CE in Ant. 18.1.1:

"All sorts of misfortunes also sprang from [Judas], and the nation was infected with this doctrine to an incredible degree; one violent war came upon us after another ... [and] there were also very great robberies and murder of our principal men ... whence arose seditions, and from them murders of men, which sometimes fell on those of their own people ... and sometimes on their enemies ... the sedition at last increased so high, that the very temple of God was burnt down by their enemies' fire."

Josephus also ties the Sicarii to Judas and points out the political nature of their banditry in War 7.8.1:

"Judas ... had persuaded abundance of the Jews, as we have formerly related, not to submit to the taxation when Cyrenius was sent into Judea to make one; for then it was that the Sicarii got together against those that were willing to submit to the Romans, and treated them in all respects as if they had been their enemies, both by plundering them of what they had, by driving away their cattle, and by setting fire to their houses; for they said that they differed not at all from foreigners, by betraying, in so cowardly a manner, that freedom which Jews thought worthy to be contended for to the utmost, and by owning that they preferred slavery under the Romans before such a contention."

Since Josephus ties all the seditious activity throughout the first century to Judas (including that of the Sicarii), this has to include the seditious activity he says occurred during Pilate's time in Ant. 18.3.1-2, a section that is titled by Whiston as "Sedition of the Jews against Pontius Pilate" and ends with Josephus saying, "thus an end was put to this sedition."

Because of Ant. 18.1.1, it doesn't matter that "the Zealots" aren't mentioned Ant. 18.3.1-2.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

John2 wrote:Maryhelena,

I mentioned in another thread that Josephus ties all the seditious activity of the first century (and the destruction of the temple) to the revolt of Judas in 6 CE in Ant. 18.1.1:

"All sorts of misfortunes also sprang from [Judas], and the nation was infected with this doctrine to an incredible degree; one violent war came upon us after another ... [and] there were also very great robberies and murder of our principal men ... whence arose seditions, and from them murders of men, which sometimes fell on those of their own people ... and sometimes on their enemies ... the sedition at last increased so high, that the very temple of God was burnt down by their enemies' fire."

Josephus also ties the Sicarii to Judas and points out the political nature of their banditry in War 7.8.1:

"Judas ... had persuaded abundance of the Jews, as we have formerly related, not to submit to the taxation when Cyrenius was sent into Judea to make one; for then it was that the Sicarii got together against those that were willing to submit to the Romans, and treated them in all respects as if they had been their enemies, both by plundering them of what they had, by driving away their cattle, and by setting fire to their houses; for they said that they differed not at all from foreigners, by betraying, in so cowardly a manner, that freedom which Jews thought worthy to be contended for to the utmost, and by owning that they preferred slavery under the Romans before such a contention."

Since Josephus ties all the seditious activity throughout the first century to Judas (including that of the Sicarii), this has to include the seditious activity he says occurred during Pilate's time in Ant. 18.3.1-2, a section that is titled by Whiston as "Sedition of the Jews against Pontius Pilate" and ends with Josephus saying, "thus an end was put to this sedition."

Because of Ant. 18.1.1, it doesn't matter that "the Zealots" aren't mentioned Ant. 18.3.1-2.
Check out this post, from earlier in this thread, which references Lena Einhorn's study on the issue of zealot activity during the time of Pilate in Judea.

viewtopic.php?p=30475#p30475

To underline that the failure of Josephus to mention the activity of “robbers” between 6 and
44 C.E. is no coincidence, Tacitus in Hist. 5.9-10 writes: “Under Tiberius all was quiet.”
Josephus does describe two occasions of Jewish mass protests under Pilate. But judging from
his narratives (and supported by Philo), these protests were entirely non-violent. On the
second occasion, the protests against the use of funds from the Temple treasury to build an
aqueduct, it ended in Jews being trampled and beaten to death. But, as Josephus states, “the
people were unarmed” (A.J. 18.55-59,60-62; Philo, Legat. 299-305). There are no signs of
armed rebellion.

(Presented at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Chicago, Nov.17-20, 2012)

http://lenaeinhorn.se/wp-content/upload ... .11.25.pdf

Check out Philo:

Philo: On The Embassy to Gaius: 299-305

XXXVIII. (299) Pilate was one of the emperor's lieutenants, having been appointed governor of Judaea. He, not more with the object of doing honour to Tiberius than with that of vexing the multitude, dedicated some gilt shields in the palace of Herod, in the holy city; which had no form nor any other forbidden thing represented on them except some necessary inscription, which mentioned these two facts, the name of the person who had placed them there, and the person in whose honour they were so placed there. (300) But when the multitude heard what had been done, and when the circumstance became notorious, then the people, putting forward the four sons of the king, who were in no respect inferior to the kings themselves, in fortune or in rank, and his other descendants, and those magistrates who were among them at the time, entreated him to alter and to rectify the innovation which he had committed in respect of the shields; and not to make any alteration in their national customs, which had hitherto been preserved without any interruption, without being in the least degree changed by any king of emperor. (301) "But when he steadfastly refused this petition (for he was a man of a very inflexible disposition, and very merciless as well as very obstinate), they cried out: 'Do not cause a sedition; do not make war upon us; do not destroy the peace which exists. The honour of the emperor is not identical with dishonour to the ancient laws; let it not be to you a pretence for heaping insult on our nation. Tiberius is not desirous that any of our laws or customs shall be destroyed. And if you yourself say that he is, show us either some command from him, or some letter, or something of the kind, that we, who have been sent to you as ambassadors, may cease to trouble you, and may address our supplications to your master.' (302) "But this last sentence exasperated him in the greatest possible degree, as he feared least they might in reality go on an embassy to the emperor, and might impeach him with respect to other particulars of his government, in respect of his corruption, and his acts of insolence, and his rapine, and his habit of insulting people, and his cruelty, and his continual murders of people untried and uncondemned, and his never ending, and gratuitous, and most grievous inhumanity. (303) Therefore, being exceedingly angry, and being at all times a man of most ferocious passions, he was in great perplexity, neither venturing to take down what he had once set up, nor wishing to do any thing which could be acceptable to his subjects, and at the same time being sufficiently acquainted with the firmness of Tiberius on these points. And those who were in power in our nation, seeing this, and perceiving that he was inclined to change his mind as to what he had done, but that he was not willing to be thought to do so, wrote a most supplicatory letter to Tiberius. (304) And he, when he had read it, what did he say of Pilate, and what threats did he utter against him! But it is beside our purpose at present to relate to you how very angry he was, although he was not very liable to sudden anger; since the facts speak for themselves; (305) for immediately, without putting any thing off till the next day, he wrote a letter, reproaching and reviling him in the most bitter manner for his act of unprecedented audacity and wickedness, and commanding him immediately to take down the shields and to convey them away from the metropolis of Judaea to Caesarea, on the sea which had been named Caesarea Augusta, after his grandfather, in order that they might be set up in the temple of Augustus. And accordingly, they were set up in that edifice. And in this way he provided for two matters: both for the honour due to the emperor, and for the preservation of the ancient customs of the city.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/yonge/book40.html

my bolding.

Rome, Tiberius, taking sides with the Jews of Judea against Pilate.....

So there you have it:

Tactius
Philo
Josephus

Three writers, and even Tiberius re Philo, that support the argument that there was no zealot activity during the time of Pilate in Judea.
W.B. Yeats
John2

Post by John2 »

Maryhelena,

Well, technically we could say there was no "Zealot activity" until the 60's CE, because that's when Josephus first mentions "the Zealots":

"Ananus's concern was ... to persuade the seditious to consult their own interest, and to restrain the madness of those that had the name of zealots; but their violence was too hard for him" (War 2.22.1).

"Ananus the son of Ananus when they were at their assemblies, bitterly reproached the people for their sloth, and excited them against the zealots; for that was the name they went by" (War 4.3.9).

So in that sense I agree with you that there was no "Zealot" activity during the time of Pilate, because there weren't any "Zealots" before the 60's. But we can infer that there were zealots in a more general sense before this because Josephus ties all the seditions of the first century to the teaching of Judas (and says that "the younger sort ... were zealous for it").

So I'm talking about this climate of "sedition" that started with Judas in 6 CE and ended with the 66-70 CE war. And what happened during Pilate's time is called a sedition, whether it was armed or not. There were Jews who were willing to have their heads chopped off to stop him from erecting images of Tiberius in Jerusalem:

"But they threw themselves upon the ground, and laid their necks bare, and said they would take their death very willingly, rather than the wisdom of their laws should be transgressed; upon which Pilate was deeply affected with their firm resolution to keep their laws inviolable, and presently commanded the images to be carried back from Jerusalem to Cesarea." (Ant. 18.3.1).

I characterize this behavior as zealous and see it in the same light as those were inspired by Judas and believed that "God is to be their only Ruler and Lord. They also do not value dying any kinds of death, nor indeed do they heed the deaths of their relations and friends, nor can any such fear make them call any man lord" (Ant. 18.1.6).

What's the difference between these attitudes?

But Josephus actually calls the next incident a sedition, when thousands of Jews "made a clamor against [Pilate] ... Some of them also used reproaches, and abused the man, as crowds of such people usually do. So he habited a great number of his soldiers in their habit, who carried daggers under their garments, and sent them to a place where they might surround them. So he bid the Jews himself go away; but they boldly casting reproaches upon him, he gave the soldiers that signal which had been beforehand agreed on; who laid upon them much greater blows than Pilate had commanded them, and equally punished those that were tumultuous, and those that were not; nor did they spare them in the least: and since the people were unarmed, and were caught by men prepared for what they were about, there were a great number of them slain by this means, and others of them ran away wounded. And thus an end was put to this sedition" (Ant. 18.3.2).

It doesn't matter if it was unarmed. Josephus calls it a sedition and he ties all the seditions in first century CE to the uprising of Judas.

And Philo says this kind of hot headed attitude existed when Caligula wanted to erect a statue of himself in the temple c. 40 CE, to such an extent that it gave pause to a Roman general:

"For you [Caligula] cannot possibly have been ignorant of what was likely to result from your attempt to introduce these innovations respecting our temple; but having previously learnt with perfect accuracy what was likely to happen as well as if it had already taken place, and knowing the future as thoroughly as if it were actually present, you commanded your general to bring up an army in order that the statue when erected might be consecrated by the first sacrifice offered to it ... Accordingly Petronius, when he had read what he was commanded to do ... was in great perplexity, not being able to resist the orders sent to him out of fear, for he heard that the emperor's wrath was implacable not only against those who did not do what they were commanded to do ... and on the other hand, he did not see how it was easy to perform them, for he knew that the Jews would willingly, if it were possible, endure ten thousand deaths instead of one, rather than submit to see any forbidden thing perpetrated with respect to their religion; for all men are eager to preserve their own customs and laws, and the Jewish nation above all others ... and the greatest proof of this is that Petronius, having regard to these considerations, was very reluctant to attempt what he was commanded to do" (Embassy to Gaius ch. 31).

Tacitus also describes this event, after the Tiberius comment you mentioned, and says it was armed:

"Under Tiberius all was quiet. Then, when Caligula ordered the Jews to set up his statue in their temple, they chose rather to resort to arms, but the emperor's death put an end to their uprising. The princes now being dead or reduced to insignificance, Claudius made Judea a province" (Histories 5.9).

This too happened during the time you suggest there was no "Zealot" activity (6 CE to 48 CE). So Josephus, Philo and Tacitus are evidence that zealot-type attitudes and activities existed before 48 CE, which the former says began with the uprising of Judas in 6 CE and ended with the destruction of the temple in 70 CE.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

Well, technically we could say there was no "Zealot activity" until the 60's CE, because that's when Josephus first mentions "the Zealots":

"Ananus's concern was ... to persuade the seditious to consult their own interest, and to restrain the madness of those that had the name of zealots; but their violence was too hard for him" (War 2.22.1).

"Ananus the son of Ananus when they were at their assemblies, bitterly reproached the people for their sloth, and excited them against the zealots; for that was the name they went by" (War 4.3.9).

So in that sense I agree with you that there was no "Zealot" activity during the time of Pilate, because there weren't any "Zealots" before the 60's. But we can infer that there were zealots in a more general sense before this because Josephus ties all the seditions of the first century to the teaching of Judas (and says that "the younger sort ... were zealous for it").

So I'm talking about this climate of "sedition" that started with Judas in 6 CE and ended with the 66-70 CE war. And what happened during Pilate's time is called a sedition, whether it was armed or not. There were Jews who were willing to have their heads chopped off to stop him from erecting images of Tiberius in Jerusalem:
A climate of ''sedition''. ? The whole period of Hasmonean history, from as early as Judas Maccabeus, was one in which armed sedition raised in head at various times. Using any date, re Josephus, for armed rebellion, is not an argument for armed rebellion during the time of Pilate. The difference between zealot with a small 'z' and Zealot with a capital 'Z' is that one group gives vent to their seditious inclinations while the other group keeps those inclinations in check. The issue is not whether there were zealots (with a small 'z') in the time of Pilate. Of course there were. The Jews were living under occupation. Thoughts of freedom would never be far away for such people. As the saying goes - time for everything under the sun. Thus, in regard to armed rebellion - one picks ones moment...and there was no such moment during the time of Pilate.

"But they threw themselves upon the ground, and laid their necks bare, and said they would take their death very willingly, rather than the wisdom of their laws should be transgressed; upon which Pilate was deeply affected with their firm resolution to keep their laws inviolable, and presently commanded the images to be carried back from Jerusalem to Cesarea." (Ant. 18.3.1).
Being willing to die for ones values does not require armed rebellion. Passive resistance is a well known method of protest. (Gandhi)

I characterize this behavior as zealous and see it in the same light as those were inspired by Judas and believed that "God is to be their only Ruler and Lord. They also do not value dying any kinds of death, nor indeed do they heed the deaths of their relations and friends, nor can any such fear make them call any man lord" (Ant. 18.1.6).

What's the difference between these attitudes?
Passive resistance vs armed rebellion.

But Josephus actually calls the next incident a sedition, when thousands of Jews "made a clamor against [Pilate] ... Some of them also used reproaches, and abused the man, as crowds of such people usually do. So he habited a great number of his soldiers in their habit, who carried daggers under their garments, and sent them to a place where they might surround them. So he bid the Jews himself go away; but they boldly casting reproaches upon him, he gave the soldiers that signal which had been beforehand agreed on; who laid upon them much greater blows than Pilate had commanded them, and equally punished those that were tumultuous, and those that were not; nor did they spare them in the least: and since the people were unarmed, and were caught by men prepared for what they were about, there were a great number of them slain by this means, and others of them ran away wounded. And thus an end was put to this sedition" (Ant. 18.3.2).

It doesn't matter if it was unarmed. Josephus calls it a sedition and he ties all the seditions in first century CE to the uprising of Judas.
I don't know the Greek word involved here that is translated as 'sedition'. However, the quote says clearly that 'the people were unarmed'. An unarmed protest hardly seems to classify as 'sedition', as rebellion.

And Philo says this kind of hot headed attitude existed when Caligula wanted to erect a statue of himself in the temple c. 40 CE, to such an extent that it gave pause to a Roman general:

"For you [Caligula] cannot possibly have been ignorant of what was likely to result from your attempt to introduce these innovations respecting our temple; but having previously learnt with perfect accuracy what was likely to happen as well as if it had already taken place, and knowing the future as thoroughly as if it were actually present, you commanded your general to bring up an army in order that the statue when erected might be consecrated by the first sacrifice offered to it ... Accordingly Petronius, when he had read what he was commanded to do ... was in great perplexity, not being able to resist the orders sent to him out of fear, for he heard that the emperor's wrath was implacable not only against those who did not do what they were commanded to do ... and on the other hand, he did not see how it was easy to perform them, for he knew that the Jews would willingly, if it were possible, endure ten thousand deaths instead of one, rather than submit to see any forbidden thing perpetrated with respect to their religion; for all men are eager to preserve their own customs and laws, and the Jewish nation above all others ... and the greatest proof of this is that Petronius, having regard to these considerations, was very reluctant to attempt what he was commanded to do" (Embassy to Gaius ch. 31).

Tacitus also describes this event, after the Tiberius comment you mentioned, and says it was armed:

"Under Tiberius all was quiet. Then, when Caligula ordered the Jews to set up his statue in their temple, they chose rather to resort to arms, but the emperor's death put an end to their uprising. The princes now being dead or reduced to insignificance, Claudius made Judea a province" (Histories 5.9).

This too happened during the time you suggest there was no "Zealot" activity (6 CE to 48 CE). So Josephus, Philo and Tacitus are evidence that zealot-type attitudes and activities existed before 48 CE, which the former says began with the uprising of Judas in 6 CE and ended with the destruction of the temple in 70 CE.
Now you have removed your argument to post Pilate.....The title of the OP - a post Peter moved from it's original thread - is 'Zealot activity under Pilate'. You have not provided any evidence that during the time of Pilate Zealot activity took place.

The dating referenced above, 6 CE to 48 CE, is dating from Lena Einhorn's article. The OP is dealing specifically with the time of Pilate - generally given as 26 c.e. to 36/37 c.e. That the gospel story has an underlay of linkage to Zealot type activity does not translate into such activity during the time of Pilate. That Zealot linkage could, as Lena Einhorn suggests, require a time-shift away from the time of Pilate for the gospel story. I would think it far more likely that the gospel Zealot linkage is something that has been backdated to the time of Pilate - and once one goes that route, then earlier, pre Pilate, Zealot activity could also be part of that gospel Zealot linkage.

The gospel story has a Zealot linkage - post Pilate and pre Pilate. What that suggests is that the gospel story contains linkage to Zealot activity that covers a wide historical time frame. Zealot activity that arose and then subsided, arose and then subsided. One of the periods in which Zealot activity subsided was the time of Pilate.

---------------------

footnote:

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... 85-zealots

ZEALOTS (Hebrew, Ḳanna'im):

Zealous defenders of the Law and of the national life of the Jewish people; name of a party opposing with relentless rigor any attempt to bring Judea under the dominion of idolatrous Rome, and especially of the aggressive and fanatical war party from the time of Herod until the fall of Jerusalem and Masada. The members of this party bore also the name Sicarii, from their custom of going about with daggers ("sicæ") hidden beneath their cloaks, with which they would stab any one found committing a sacrilegious act or anything provoking anti-Jewish feeling.

Origin and Meaning of the Name.

Following Josephus ("B. J." ii. 8, § 1; "Ant." xviii. 1, §§ 1, 6), most writers consider that the Zealots were a so-called fourth party founded by Judas the Galilean (see Grätz, "Gesch." iii. 252, 259; Schürer, "Gesch." 1st ed., i. 3, 486). This view is contradicted, however, by the fact that Hezekiah, the father of Judas the Galilean, had an organized band of so-called "robbers" which made war against the Idumean Herod ("B. J." i. 10, § 5; "Ant." xiv. 9, § 2), and also by the fact that the system of organized assassination practised by the Zealots was in existence during the reign of Herod, if not long before (see below). The name "Ḳanna'im" (; not "Kenaim" as given in Herzog-Hauck, "Real-Encyc." 1886, s.v. "Zẹloten") occurs twice in the Talmud: in Sanh. ix. 11 and in Ab. R. N. vi. (where the other version has ["Sicarii"]; see Schechter's edition, pp. 31 and 32). The former passage contains a statute, evidently of the Maccabean time, declaring that "Whosoever steals the libation cup [Num. iv. 7 or curses one with the aid of the Holy Name [Lev. xxiv. 16, Sifra] or has sexual intercourse with a Syrian [heathen] woman shall be felled by the Ḳanna'im or Zealots." This is explained in the Talmud (Sanh. 82a, b; Yer. Sanh. ix. 27b) to mean that, while the acts mentioned are not causes for criminal procedure, they fall into the same category as did the crime of Zimri the son of Salu, whom Phinehas, because "he was zealous for his God," slew flagrante delicto (Num. xxv. 11-14). Phinehas is set up as a pattern, being called "Ḳanna'i ben Ḳanna'i" (a Zealot, the son of a Zealot), inasmuch as he followed the example of Levi, the son of Jacob, who avenged the crime perpetrated upon Dinah by killing the men of Shechem (Sifre, Num. 131; Sanh. 82b; comp. Book of Jubilees, xxx. 18, 23, where Levi is said to have been chosen for the priesthood because he was zealous in executing vengeance upon the enemies of Israel, and Judith ix. 2-4, where Simeon as ancestor of Judith is praised for his zealous act).

W.B. Yeats
John2

Post by John2 »

Maryhelena,

You wrote:

"I don't know the Greek word involved here that is translated as 'sedition'. However, the quote says clearly that 'the people were unarmed'. An unarmed protest hardly seems to classify as 'sedition', as rebellion."

I don't know what the Greek word is either, but I found a translation of the Pilate passage in question in a book by Daniel Schwartz (forget which one, sorry) and he uses the word "stasis" instead of "sedition," so maybe "stasis" is the Greek word:

http://biblehub.com/greek/4714.htm

And it's used in Acts 24:5, where Paul is accused of "stirring insurrection among all the Jews":

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/acts/24-5.htm

It's also used in Mark 15:7 concerning the rebellious activity of Barabbas:

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/mark/15-7.htm

I don't have enough time at the moment to respond to the rest of your comments and I will mull them over until I do.
maryhelena

Post by maryhelena »

You wrote:

"I don't know the Greek word involved here that is translated as 'sedition'. However, the quote says clearly that 'the people were unarmed'. An unarmed protest hardly seems to classify as 'sedition', as rebellion."

I don't know what the Greek word is either, but I found a translation of the Pilate passage in question in a book by Daniel Schwartz (forget which one, sorry) and he uses the word "stasis" instead of "sedition," so maybe "stasis" is the Greek word:

http://biblehub.com/greek/4714.htm

And it's used in Acts 24:5, where Paul is accused of "stirring insurrection among all the Jews":

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/acts/24-5.htm

It's also used in Mark 15:7 concerning the rebellious activity of Barabbas:

http://biblehub.com/interlinear/mark/15-7.htm

I don't have enough time at the moment to respond to the rest of your comments and I will mull them over until I do.
In his book, Studies in the Jewish Background to Christianity, Daniel Schwartz makes reference, in a footnote, to 'stasis' - responding to a book or article by Eisler. Eisler, seemingly, using this term in connection to the first Roman scandal in Ant.18. Schwartz: ''There is no justification for terming the Roman event 'thoryboi' (the others in this chapter are real riots or almost such')'. Pages 186/187.

No thought, as far as I can see from the use of 'stasis' in this context, of labeling the two Pilate issues as Zealot activity i.e. armed rebellion against Rome. Schwartz' argument in that chapter is of course the dating of Pilate. An earlier chapter entitled 'On Christian Study of the Zealots' is very informative re the whole issue of Zealots and the gospel story. And what with Reza Aslan' book, Zealot, this whole issue is once again raises its head.....(yep, going to be a movie on Aslan' book....)

In his new book, Reading the First Century, Schwartz has a chapter with this heading: 'What did Josephus choose to leave out? Stasis in Antiquities 13.299.

I did get this book from the Library some time ago and photo-copied a few pages - but not this specific chapter. However.....the book is now on order.
W.B. Yeats
John2

Post by John2 »

Maryhelena,

Those look like interesting books, judging from what is available online. But I wasn't able to access the pages you cited in the first one (186-187) or the chapter that discusses "stasis" in the second one online.

I think I should clarify my big picture viewpoint on "Zealot activity" between 6 and 70 CE. I see it the same way I see the Arab-Israeli conflict. An historian could say that this conflict began with the founding of Israel in 1948 and continued down to the present, whether or not every instance of Arab resistance to Israel was armed, whether or not every Arab with an anti-Israel mindset was armed, or however long the time periods may have been between the larger events, and I would see how all the smaller clashes (rock throwing kids, protests) fit into the overall atmosphere of resistance to Israel that was said to have started in 1948 and continues to the present.

So my view of Zealot "activity," in the sense that "the Zealots" of the 60's CE are connected to the Fourth Philosophy that Judas founded in 6 CE, is that it included a general mindset of resistance to Rome (or to foreign culture in general, which happed to involve Rome at the time), a mindset that doesn't appear to have abated during "quieter" times, to judge from the Pilate passage (and the armed revolt that Tacitus says happened only three years after Pilate). According to Josephus, this mindset is what distinguished the Fourth Philosophy from the other sects:

"But of the fourth sect of Jewish philosophy, Judas the Galilean was the author. These men agree in all other things with the Pharisaic notions; but they have an inviolable attachment to liberty, and say that God is to be their only Ruler and Lord. They also do not value dying any kinds of death, nor indeed do they heed the deaths of their relations and friends, nor can any such fear make them call any man lord. And since this immovable resolution of theirs is well known to a great many, I shall speak no further about that matter; nor am I afraid that any thing I have said of them should be disbelieved, but rather fear, that what I have said is beneath the resolution they show when they undergo pain. And it was in Gessius Florus's time that the nation began to grow mad with this distemper" (Ant. 18.1.6).

Was there "Zealot" activity before the time of Florus in the 60's CE, before the nation went "mad" with this "distemper"? Yes. So did a "Zealot" mindset also exist before this time, even during Pilate's time? I would think so to judge from the mass protests and "stasis" that happened during his time, whether armed or not, and because Josephus says this mindset sprang from Judas and had "infected" the nation "to an incredible degree" and distinguished the Fourth Philosophy from the other sects in Ant. 18.1.1, it's hard for me to see the protest and "stasis" against Pilate in Ant. 18.3.1-2 as not having something to do with what he was just talking about and his overall theme of blaming the Fourth Philosophy for all the "misfortunes" and "seditions" that happened between 6 and 70 CE:

"All sorts of misfortunes ... and the nation was infected with this doctrine to an incredible degree; one violent war cam"e upon us after another, and we lost our friends which used to alleviate our pains; there were also very great robberies and murder of our principal men ... whence arose seditions ... the sedition at last increased so high, that the very temple of God was burnt down by their enemies' fire. Such were the consequences of this, that the customs of our fathers were altered, and such a change was made, as added a mighty weight toward bringing all to destruction, which these men occasioned by their thus conspiring together; for Judas and Sadduc, who excited a fourth philosophic sect among us, and had a great many followers therein, filled our civil government with tumults at present, and laid the foundations of our future miseries, by this system of philosophy, which we were before unacquainted withal."

Should I think that what Jospehus says happened under Pilate two sections later (of which one of the events, armed or not, is called a sedition) has nothing to with this theme?