Was Jesus an Essene?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
semiopen

Re: Was Jesus an Essene?

Post by semiopen »

John T wrote: Little research?

You must have spent more than a little time to find the links you provided. Most of your links where written back in the 1990's. I wonder how many pages deep into a Google search you had to go before you found them? Now how about doing a little research and find out if your obscure and/or unknown authors from the 1990's still hold those same views? :popcorn:
Speaking of the 90s, weren't you the person espousing the Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis which had a few academic defenders in the 90's only to be totally refuted in the 2000s?

In the present case, there hasn't been anything new to give Yoshke the Essene greater credence.

I got the links from Wiki Talk as mentioned in my posting.
John T

Post by John T »

Let me guess, once again you did not bother to look at my links as well as you didn't even bother to read your own. :facepalm:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
rakovsky

Post by rakovsky »

Maybe some Essen ideas affected Christianity. Wikipedia on Essenes says Josephus mentioned

" commitment to a strict observance of Sabbath. He further adds that the Essenes ritually immersed in water every morning".
These would differ from Jesus' once for all baptism and liberal attitude to sabbath observance.

My research on the prophecies of the Messiah's resurrection: http://rakovskii.livejournal.com