Questions regarding the text of Jeremiah

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
toejam

Questions regarding the text of Jeremiah

Post by toejam »

I need to clarify my understanding of the text of Jeremiah. According to wikipedia...
... Jeremiah exists in two versions, a Greek translation, called the Septuagint, dating from the last few centuries before Christ and found in the earliest Christian manuscripts, and the Masoretic Hebrew text of traditional Jewish bibles – the Greek version is shorter than the Hebrew by about one eighth, and arranges the material differently. Equivalents of both versions were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, so that is clear that the differences mark important stages in the transmission of the text. Most scholars hold that the Hebrew text underlying the Septuagint version is older than the Masoretic text, and that the Masoretic evolved either from this or from a closely related version.
My questions are:

What are the missing portions of the Masoretic Jeremiah? What chapters/verses?

What languages are the DSS versions in? I assume the longer version is in Hebrew and the shorter in Greek?

Are there any references in the NT that show awareness of the longer text?

What is the oldest surviving copy of the LXX version?

Any good links that may help me with this?
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
DCHindley

Re: Questions regarding the text of Jeremiah

Post by DCHindley »

toejam wrote:I need to clarify my understanding of the text of Jeremiah. According to wikipedia...
... Jeremiah exists in two versions, a Greek translation, called the Septuagint, dating from the last few centuries before Christ and found in the earliest Christian manuscripts, and the Masoretic Hebrew text of traditional Jewish bibles – the Greek version is shorter than the Hebrew by about one eighth, and arranges the material differently. Equivalents of both versions were found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, so that is clear that the differences mark important stages in the transmission of the text. Most scholars hold that the Hebrew text underlying the Septuagint version is older than the Masoretic text, and that the Masoretic evolved either from this or from a closely related version.
My questions are:

What languages are the DSS versions in? I assume the longer version is in Hebrew and the shorter in Greek?

Are there any references in the NT that show awareness of the longer text?

What is the oldest surviving copy of the LXX version?

Any good links that may help me with this?
Tried looking this up a little while back, but was not very successful. Tried again just now, no luck.

I have access to Rahlfs' Greek text (ET is that of Lancelot Brenton, whose Greek edition is that of Vaticanus and Alexendrinus) and the Masoretic Text Hebrew (which I don't read, but the RSV ET is pretty faithful to it).

What I still do not have is a "conversion chart", as the chapter and verse numbering conventions are was not the same. I am aware of one that is based on Swete's edition (190?) but I do not know how numbering used by Swete's might differ from that used in Rahlfs' edition. There is an equation table in the setup routines of Bibleworks, but it seems they have used the verse numbering of the KJV for Brenton's ET (I don't know if Brenton used a different one originally), so I do not have high expectations of a nice clean equation.

DCH
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

toejam wrote:I need to clarify my understanding of the text of Jeremiah. According to wikipedia...
My questions are:

DSS Jeremiah is in Hebrew. Some of the fragmentary Hebrew manuscripts broadly follow the Masoretic Hebrew while other fragmentary Hebrew manuscripts broadly follow the LXX Greek.

Andrew Criddle
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

My questions are:

Table Shewing the Order of Several Chapters and Verses in Jeremiah, as They Appear in the Hebrew and Septuagint Respectively.
toejam

Post by toejam »

^Thanks that's exactly the kind of thing I was after
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208