empirical proof of Moses better than Paul

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
A_Nony_Mouse

Re: empirical proof of Moses better than Paul

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

beowulf wrote:Moses versus Paul:
Moses wanted to conquer little Canaan, but Paul wanted to conquer the mighty Roman Empire.
For the record "Canaan" is purely a bible fiction name. It is not found in any other source including all archaeology.

The closest word is the Phoenician Kanana which roughly translates as peasant farmers, an occupation not a nationality or people.
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
Moses wanted to conquer little Canaan, but Paul wanted to conquer the mighty Roman Empire.
For the record "Canaan" is purely a bible fiction name. It is not found in any other source including all archaeology.

The closest word is the Phoenician Kanana which roughly translates as peasant farmers, an occupation not a nationality or people.
The Land of Canaan
For the record, in the Hebrew Bible, Canaan is the grandson of Noah and the Phoenician name of Kanana comes much later.
Elmer Gantry - On My Way To Canaan's Land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXR2wBcLIM
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

beowulf wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

The Land of Canaan
For the record, in the Hebrew Bible, Canaan is the grandson of Noah and the Phoenician name of Kanana comes much later.
Elmer Gantry - On My Way To Canaan's Land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMXR2wBcLIM
And the good witch Glenda is found only in the Wizard of Oz. The fact that Canaan is not found by name in archaeology confirms it is just another of the bible inventions. BTW: The oldest known local name for the region is Palestine as recorded by Herodotus seven times.
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

What utter drivel. A_Nony_Mouse, yet again you make these outlandlish claims without a scrap of evidence and yes, when you say, "Canaan" is purely a bible fiction name, you have to provide evidence for the claim and you cannot do it. You are just talking your usual anti-Semitic diarrhea. Why don't you mention Idrimi? Or the Amarna letters (eg EA 367)? What about the Merneptah Stele? Considered the Papyrus Anastasi I (See section 20 here)?

You are yet again caught spreading false pernicious nonsense, A_Nony_Mouse.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:And the good witch Glenda is found only in the Wizard of Oz. The fact that Canaan is not found by name in archaeology confirms it is just another of the bible inventions. BTW: The oldest known local name for the region is Palestine as recorded by Herodotus seven times.
The Hebrew Bible is the “rock” on which the Christian, Muslim and Jewish civilisations have been built; as in ‘upon this rock I will build civilisations’, 5000 years of history and billions of people.

Kanana is pidgin Hebrew for Canaan
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

beowulf wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:And the good witch Glenda is found only in the Wizard of Oz. The fact that Canaan is not found by name in archaeology confirms it is just another of the bible inventions. BTW: The oldest known local name for the region is Palestine as recorded by Herodotus seven times.
The Hebrew Bible is the “rock” on which the Christian, Muslim and Jewish civilisations have been built; as in ‘upon this rock I will build civilisations’, 5000 years of history and billions of people.
In my world the foundation of civilization is math, art, literature, architecture, science, philosophy, music and a host of other things not found in bibleland. Things which bibleland and the bible are totally devoid. However if you can produce physical evidence the "hebrew bible" is older than the 2nd c. BC please feel free to post it. Even so the best it represents is doggerel instead of poetry. It took ten years for the writers and poets commissioned by King James to pretty it up.

It serves not as a rock but as a millstone inciting, inspiring and justifying war and religious tyranny unlike any other religion. Zeus did not command war. Tyrants did not invoke Apollo. No one had to choose between belief in Odin and death. Pardon but if this is your civilization kindly keep it to yourself.
Kanana is pidgin Hebrew for Canaan
Funny that it is found only in Phoenician and then only in a reference to the farmers, the local non-Phoenicians, around Carthage. It is NOT a place name but an occupation, farmer. Now if you wish to do a find and replace for all the OT usages of Canaan and such and replace it with farmer fine. I suggest your reading of the resultant modification will be entirely different. For example, how will you explain the farmer cities? Sort of an oxymoron that.
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
beowulf wrote:Kanana is pidgin Hebrew for Canaan
Funny that it is found only in Phoenician and then only in a reference to the farmers, the local non-Phoenicians, around Carthage. It is NOT a place name but an occupation, farmer.
Stupid and ignorant.

The Idrimi inscription uses the term with a land determinant, meaning that it is certainly a place, as do the Amarna letters, the Merneptah Stele and the Papyrus Anastasi I. (See my previous post.)
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

spin wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
Funny that it is found only in Phoenician and then only in a reference to the farmers, the local non-Phoenicians, around Carthage. It is NOT a place name but an occupation, farmer.
Stupid and ignorant.

The Idrimi inscription uses the term with a land determinant, meaning that it is certainly a place, as do the Amarna letters, the Merneptah Stele and the Papyrus Anastasi I. (See my previous post.)
I can't seem to find any citations supporting those claims in any previous post. Remember you are demonstrating to me the kind of citations you expect. Care to paste them into your response? Which Amarna letters? What are the exact words? Same with the rest. I have no problem being wrong. I have been looking for non-magical source using the word for years and I recited the best I have found. It is good you know of FOUR+ other sources. I await enlightenment which will never come.
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Funny that it is found only in Phoenician and then only in a reference to the farmers, the local non-Phoenicians, around Carthage. It is NOT a place name but an occupation, farmer.
spin wrote:Stupid and ignorant.

I can't seem to find any citations supporting those claims in any previous post. Remember you are demonstrating to me the kind of citations you expect. Care to paste them into your response? Which Amarna letters? What are the exact words? Same with the rest. I have no problem being wrong. I have been looking for non-magical source using the word for years and I recited the best I have found. It is good you know of FOUR+ other sources. I await enlightenment which will never come.
It seems you're blind as well as unable to support any of the nonsense you say.

In the above post at this link I said:
spin wrote:What utter drivel. A_Nony_Mouse, yet again you make these outlandlish claims without a scrap of evidence and yes, when you say, "Canaan" is purely a bible fiction name, you have to provide evidence for the claim and you cannot do it. You are just talking your usual anti-Semitic diarrhea. Why don't you mention Idrimi? Or the Amarna letters (eg EA 367)? What about the Merneptah Stele? Considered the Papyrus Anastasi I (See section 20 here)?
These references demonstrate that you are simply wrong in your claim about Canaan, as you seem to be with almost everything else you have claimed.
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

It is a given Moses is a mythical character and the whole Egypt thing is a series of mythical events. Obviously the king of Egypt was never someone an impertinent goatherd could barge in on and speak to as an arrogant equal. He might die trying being killed by the outermost tier of guards but that is a close as he would get. Beyond that it is a tale filled with magic and therefore suitable only for entertainment as are all other such stories all through history. Unfortunately those which take on religious significance lose their entertainment value.

Clearly there is no empirical EVIDENCE, proof is only for math and logic, for Moses in any matter and the entire context of the story about him and what he did is fantasy. Similar there is no evidence for anything following his adventures such as biblical Israel and only for couple of possible peripheral characters but details about them are wrong.

Paul is about in the same boat save at least the cities he traveled to really existed and there really were Romans running things and a mess of peripheral details are correct. This is orders of magnitude ahead of Moses just to start. Of course the tales of Paul are filled with magic so it is in just as bad a shape in that regard. The successes in Acts are most commonly attributed to Paul's magical demonstrations. So if there was a Paul he was not the Paul described in Acts. How completely different can a person be from his description and still be called the same person? For believers light years is close enough. It is not exclusive to religion. Believers in King Arthur are happy with the latest idea that he was a Roman of Equestrian class who did entirely different things, had a different name and otherwise had nothing in common with Arthurian legend but he is still the same person. Very like Paul.
-- The Iron Webmaster