An article today about someone digging under the Temple

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

An article today about someone digging under the Temple

Post by Peter Kirby »

Blogged here:

http://www.ritmeyer.com/2013/10/04/unde ... ple-mount/

Rabbi Getz worked for a month before being discovered and stopped physically by Arabs. Too bad. I doubt he would have found the Ark that he was looking for, but who knows what he could have found?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
A_Nony_Mouse

Re: An article today about someone digging under the Temple

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:Blogged here:

Rabbi Getz worked for a month before being discovered and stopped physically by Arabs. Too bad. I doubt he would have found the Ark that he was looking for, but who knows what he could have found?
Josephus records Herod and his guests could observe the temple sacrifices from his palace. There was even a dispute that had to be settled in Rome when the priests built a wall to block his view.

We know where Herod's temple was. There is no way he could have seen the top of the temple mount. So where was the temple? Or did he have a second palace?

Think Raiders of the Lost Ark. "They're digging in the wrong place!"
The religion of the priests is not the religion of the people.
Priests are just people with skin in the game and an income to lose.
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Josephus records Herod and his guests could observe the temple sacrifices from his palace. There was even a dispute that had to be settled in Rome when the priests built a wall to block his view.
When you refer to something like this, you have the responsibility here to quote the exact source, rather than alluding to it, so that one hasn't got a clue where what you are saying comes from. Please cite your sources.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

spin wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Josephus records Herod and his guests could observe the temple sacrifices from his palace. There was even a dispute that had to be settled in Rome when the priests built a wall to block his view.
When you refer to something like this, you have the responsibility here to quote the exact source, rather than alluding to it, so that one hasn't got a clue where what you are saying comes from. Please cite your sources.
I have no problem playing by such rules as long as they are honored reciprocally. In fact I love it. In fact had I known that I would have initially required the source citing the temple was at one time on that hill. Of course there is none. In fact I can't find a mention of that location claim prior to the 19th c. If you know of something older than that please let me know.

Of course that is the entire issue. Someone invented a location for it that became popular for some reason and now location is as certain as visiting UFOs piloted by Bigfoot.

The commonly raised location issues are here.
http://www.templemount.org/theories.html
-- The Iron Webmaster
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

Peter Kirby wrote:Blogged here:

Having been notified of custom here I point out the crazy rabbi has no reason to imagine there was ever a Yahu temple there. Just another crazy looking for a religious version of Atlantis.
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

Again, what is the reference, please?
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

spin wrote:
I REDACTED that statement. I have used your rule and ask for evidence the temple was on that hill in the first place. Please feel free to back up the crazy rabbi's belief if you wish.
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
spin wrote:
I REDACTED that statement. I have used your rule and ask for evidence the temple was on that hill in the first place. Please feel free to back up the crazy rabbi's belief if you wish.
Now that you have changed your story, please restate it for the reading public. We are not mind-readers and you are not the great communicator.
A_Nony_Mouse

Post by A_Nony_Mouse »

spin wrote:
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
spin wrote: ...
Now that you have changed your story, please restate it for the reading public. We are not mind-readers and you are not the great communicator.
Read above about the crazy rabbi thinking there was ever any kind of Yahu temple there. What kind of idiot would think such a thing? Where did he get such an idiotic idea?
-- The Iron Webmaster
spin

Post by spin »

You stated: "Josephus records Herod and his guests could observe the temple sacrifices from his palace. There was even a dispute that had to be settled in Rome when the priests built a wall to block his view." Where the fuck is it said in Josephus? Answer the question. Or say clearly that you were mistaken in your initial post.