passover and blood

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
theterminator

passover and blood

Post by theterminator »

New International Version
The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.

i don't understand this text
is the blood used as some kind of repellent? does it have magical power ?

or is it used because the angel of death might mistakenly kill the the hebrews if they don't paint their houses with it?
Last edited by theterminator on Wed May 11, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DCHindley

Re: passover and blood

Post by DCHindley »

theterminator wrote:
New International Version
The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
I don't understand this text. Is the blood used as some kind of repellent? does it have magical power in it?

Or is it used because [the] angel of death might mistakenly kill the the Hebrews if they don't paint their houses it
Got a few moments during lunch.

I think the angel of death was scheduled to do a fly-over with instructions to kill the firstborn of every house except those that displayed a sign that they were Hebrews. The sign was the blood of a Passover sacrifice splashed with a piece of hyssop onto the sides of, and the top, of the doorway to the house.

Later on the Christians thought this signified the execution stake of Jesus Christ to come, because the spots of blood formed a sort of "†" shape on the door frame.

DCH (strangely, I am going to get a blood test done in a few moments ...)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Blood has magic powers of life.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Garon

Post by Garon »

The blood marked the Hebrew houses and apartments so the candy men, yep poison candy was given to the first born male human at every address without blood around the door. Then all the first born male cattle, fish, birds, cats, dogs. The Candy Men were also Veterinarians, they could tell the genders of every pet and beast of the field and gave them the poison candy accordingly.

Or it's just another campfire story. LOL
iskander

Post by iskander »

Garon wrote:The blood marked the Hebrew houses and apartments so the candy men, yep poison candy was given to the first born male human at every address without blood around the door. Then all the first born male cattle, fish, birds, cats, dogs. The Candy Men were also Veterinarians, they could tell the genders of every pet and beast of the field and gave them the poison candy accordingly.

Or it's just another campfire story. LOL
It is only an imitation of an earlier pagan religion.
The paschal sacrifice involves several rites that are avowedly apotropaic in nature. A pagan substratum is clearly present even if it cannot be reconstructed with certainty .The paschal offering is made on the night of a full moon of the first month. Originally it seems to have been connected with the sacrifice of human and animal firstborn, perhaps to the moon-god. The ancient conception presumably contained the image of a bloodthirsty demon who ravaged until the morning. For protection some of the sacrificial blood was daubed with a hyssop on the lintel and doorposts. Blood was also , it seems, placed on the hand and between the eyes ( the " signs " and the " frontlets " ).
The Religion of Israel
Yehazkel Kaufmann translated and abridged by Moshe Greenberg
Sefer Ve Sefel Publishing, Jerusalem, 2003
ISBN 9657287022
Page 115

The sacrifice assumed in Israel an entirely altered form. The destroyer became, instead of the demon, YHWH, and that night was declared to have been a unique event performed for the liberation of Israelites.
In some traditions, YHWH is the destroyer of Isaac whose sacrificial blood is seen daubed on the doorposts of the Israelites .It is the blood of the paschal sacrifice of Isaac that which brings salvation from death to the occupants of those houses .
Pagans infected the mind of the Israelites and them in turn infected the ambition of the Papists.
John Kesler

Post by John Kesler »

I agree with iskander, and I wrote about this on the old BCH forum: http://bcharchive.org/2/thearchives/showthreadf1d2.html