Chanukah and Maccabees (I)

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Mental flatliner

Re: Chanukah and Maccabees (I)

Post by Mental flatliner »

semiopen wrote: Earlier in this thread I had some discussion with Duvi over his use of Haggadah versus Aggadah. Technically these are sort of the same thing, but Haggadah is more commonly understood as the book we read at the Passover seder.
The reason why you read haggadah at Passover is because Moses didn't give all the procedures for modern day practice; these were developed over time. (For example, Moses commanded the roasting of an entire lamb and burning the remains in the morning; during the temple period the rule of thumb was that one lamb could not be used to feed less than 10 people; but in modern times most families have nothing more than a single piece of lamb on a plate.)

Hanukkah would be the same. The Maccabees (and the priests at the time) didn't give specific holiday practices; they also developed over time and became a part of tradition. For example, Hanukkah has an implicit recommendation to burn the candles in the window, but rabbis over the years developed a minimum amount of time they have to be there in order to fulfill the requirement.

Haggadah refers to the development of the procedures; they're not necessarily binding.