J.-B. Humbert (2016) article on Qumran

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
StephenGoranson

J.-B. Humbert (2016) article on Qumran

Post by StephenGoranson »

"New Chapters in the Archaeology of Khirbet Qumran and Ain Feshkha" in Early Christianity 7 (2016), 397–403.
Includes:

"Already in volume 3a [[2016, a vol.* that I, SG, have not yet seen]], the interpretation of two structures had
been refuted: Locus 35 is suggested to be a Greek bath, and the interpretation of locus 51 as toilets needs to be abandoned."

"Monographs will deal separately with the exhaustive
study of recently rediscovered coins (Bruno Callegher,University of Trieste),...." [[I wonder if this will further cast doubt on Kenneth Lönnqvist's claims about the silver hoard coins in Amman, apparently mixed with non-Qumran coins.]]

"New text fragments were also found in the boxes [[of materials from the caves]] and are currently under investigation by Emile Puech."

* Fouilles de Khirbet Qumrân et de Aïn Feshkha,... by Jean-Baptiste Humbert
Fouilles de Khirbet Qumrân et de Aïn Feshkha, fouilles du P. Roland de Vaux. 3A, L'archéologie de Qumrân / École biblique et archéologique française de Jérusalem et Direction générale de la coopération internationale du Ministère des Affaires étrangères.
by Jean-Baptiste Humbert; Alain Chambon; Jolanta Młynarczyk; Ecole Biblique et Archéologique Française.; (2016)
DCHindley

Re: J.-B. Humbert (2016) article on Qumran

Post by DCHindley »

StephenGoranson wrote:"New Chapters in the Archaeology of Khirbet Qumran and Ain Feshkha" in Early Christianity 7 (2016), 397–403.
Includes:

"Already in volume 3a [[2016, a vol.* that I, SG, have not yet seen]], the interpretation of two structures had
been refuted: Locus 35 is suggested to be a Greek bath, and the interpretation of locus 51 as toilets needs to be abandoned."

"Monographs will deal separately with the exhaustive
study of recently rediscovered coins (Bruno Callegher,University of Trieste),...." [[I wonder if this will further cast doubt on Kenneth Lönnqvist's claims about the silver hoard coins in Amman, apparently mixed with non-Qumran coins.]]

"New text fragments were also found in the boxes [[of materials from the caves]] and are currently under investigation by Emile Puech."

* Fouilles de Khirbet Qumrân et de Aïn Feshkha,... by Jean-Baptiste Humbert
Fouilles de Khirbet Qumrân et de Aïn Feshkha, fouilles du P. Roland de Vaux. 3A, L'archéologie de Qumrân / École biblique et archéologique française de Jérusalem et Direction générale de la coopération internationale du Ministère des Affaires étrangères.
by Jean-Baptiste Humbert; Alain Chambon; Jolanta Młynarczyk; Ecole Biblique et Archéologique Française.; (2016)
WRT the "toilet" at L51, I noticed that the original excavators, nor anyone else, did not bother to take "control" samples from other areas to serve as a baseline.

What kind of "archeology" was this supposed to be? Self-confirmatory archeology?

DCH