Crackpot's claim about star of Bethlehem prophecy

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
kennethgreifer

Crackpot's claim about star of Bethlehem prophecy

Post by kennethgreifer »

Hi. I am Kenneth Greifer, and I am a Hebrew Bible crackpot, and one of my many claims to fame is that I think I have solved the mystery of the prophecy in Numbers 24:17 that many people believe is connected to the star of Bethlehem.

Usually, Numbers 24:17 is translated as "A star is stepping forth (dalet resh kaf) from Jacob, and a scepter is rising up from Israel."
(I am spelling out the Hebrew word that I think should be divided differently.) Most people think the "star" is the Messiah, but it doesn't really say that.

I think the quote should say:

"A generation (dalet resh) is like (kaf) a star from Jacob, and (but) will rise up a tribe (or a scepter) from (more than) Israel."

First, you have to understand that Jacob and Israel are the same. I think the Hebrew letters should be divided differently, so the quote is saying that a generation from Jacob will be high like a star, but a tribe from Israel will be even higher than the rest of the generation. The word "from" can also mean "more than."

Kenneth Greifer
http://www.hebrewbiblequotes.com/

I have more details about this quote and many more quotes that I have analyzed in four free self-published books that you can read on my site. This quote is in volume 1.
iskander

Re: Crackpot's claim about star of Bethlehem prophecy

Post by iskander »

kennethgreifer wrote:Hi. I am Kenneth Greifer, and I am a Hebrew Bible crackpot, and one of my many claims to fame is that I think I have solved the mystery of the prophecy in Numbers 24:17 that many people believe is connected to the star of Bethlehem.

Usually, Numbers 24:17 is translated as "A star is stepping forth (dalet resh kaf) from Jacob, and a scepter is rising up from Israel."
(I am spelling out the Hebrew word that I think should be divided differently.) Most people think the "star" is the Messiah, but it doesn't really say that.

I think the quote should say:

"A generation (dalet resh) is like (kaf) a star from Jacob, and (but) will rise up a tribe (or a scepter) from (more than) Israel."

First, you have to understand that Jacob and Israel are the same. I think the Hebrew letters should be divided differently, so the quote is saying that a generation from Jacob will be high like a star, but a tribe from Israel will be even higher than the rest of the generation. The word "from" can also mean "more than."

Kenneth Greifer
http://www.hebrewbiblequotes.com/

I have more details about this quote and many more quotes that I have analyzed in four free self-published books that you can read on my site. This quote is in volume 1.
Do you think that the ' offending' translation could reflect Egyptian influence? perhaps I should say the ' nonsense' translation
He [sc. Pharaoh] said to him, “I see through my astrology a star rising to meet you, and its name is Raʿa, and it is a sign of blood and killing.” (ed. Grünhut, p. 15a = ed. Wertheimer, p. 41).[4]
http://thetorah.com/yhwhs-war-against-t ... un-god-ra/