Lachish letters

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
semiopen2

Re: Lachish letters

Post by semiopen2 »

This discussion may be getting too deep for me.

There seems to be universal agreement among experts that Phoenician and Paleo-Hebrew both evolved out of the Proto-Canaanite_alphabet which is what Proto-Sinaitic_script is called when it is found in Canaan.

I remember an outrageous claim that IAmJoseph made several years ago on FRDB. He held that Paleo-Hebrew was the ancestor of all western languages. This honor is universally given to Phoenician, presumably a major factor being that the Phoenicians had boats.

Professor mouse makes sort of an opposite claim, that there was no Hebrew script, only Phoenician.

Whatever the merits of this argument (and they seem to be few and unsubstantiated), they have nothing to do with the letters, etc being written in the Hebrew language.

One might use a similar argument and claim that my post is written in Latin because of the alphabet - but since the Latin alphabet is derived from Phoenician perhaps professor mouse would say my post is technically in Phoenician.

If we go back to the origin of the thread, it was simply professor mouse's outrageous claim that
Archaeologically there is no "hebrew" found in bibleland outside of the DSS.
I've mentioned various archaeological finds that refute this idiotic statement.

Now the posts of professor mouse have degenerated into incoherency bordering on psychosis.