Raphael Haim Golb

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
User avatar
John T
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Raphael Haim Golb

Post by John T » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Then there are the hypocrites that know the truth but don't want others to know. So, they denigrate and personally attack those who are only trying to validate the truth.

It is not a question of their own ignorance or logical fallacies but a calculated attempt at disinformation and/or silencing opposing views. e.g. Raphael Haim Golb.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9669D8B63

It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”...Ronald Reagan
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift

User avatar
spin
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Nowhere

Golb

Post by spin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm

John T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm
It is not a question of their own ignorance or logical fallacies but a calculated attempt at disinformation and/or silencing opposing views. e.g. Raphael Haim Golb.
Actually, Raphael Golb was dealing with the issue of the academy's reaction to his father's work and was working on the desire to set things right. Norman Golb's work on the Dead Sea Scrolls was misrepresented, sidelined and silenced. Golb Jnr's problem was that he chose to break the law in his efforts. His goal was not disinformation or silencing opposing views, but vindicating his father's scholarship. Given the forces arrayed against his father's analyses, Raphael Golb chose desperate methods that landed him in jail.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes

User avatar
John T
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Golb

Post by John T » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 am

spin wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm
John T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm
It is not a question of their own ignorance or logical fallacies but a calculated attempt at disinformation and/or silencing opposing views. e.g. Raphael Haim Golb.
Actually, Raphael Golb was dealing with the issue of the academy's reaction to his father's work and was working on the desire to set things right. Norman Golb's work on the Dead Sea Scrolls was misrepresented, sidelined and silenced. Golb Jnr's problem was that he chose to break the law in his efforts. His goal was not disinformation or silencing opposing views, but vindicating his father's scholarship. Given the forces arrayed against his father's analyses, Raphael Golb chose desperate methods that landed him in jail.
Actually, he was sentenced to jail because he lied about who he was while trying to destroy the credibility/careers of those who questioned his father's half-baked ideas.

How many other Golb types have used this forum for similar purposes?
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift

User avatar
spin
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm
Location: Nowhere

Re: Golb

Post by spin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 am

John T wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 am
spin wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 pm
John T wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm
It is not a question of their own ignorance or logical fallacies but a calculated attempt at disinformation and/or silencing opposing views. e.g. Raphael Haim Golb.
Actually, Raphael Golb was dealing with the issue of the academy's reaction to his father's work and was working on the desire to set things right. Norman Golb's work on the Dead Sea Scrolls was misrepresented, sidelined and silenced. Golb Jnr's problem was that he chose to break the law in his efforts. His goal was not disinformation or silencing opposing views, but vindicating his father's scholarship. Given the forces arrayed against his father's analyses, Raphael Golb chose desperate methods that landed him in jail.
Actually, he was sentenced to jail because he lied about who he was while trying to destroy the credibility/careers of those who questioned his father's half-baked ideas.
I say tomayto. You say too-hard-to-fathom,-so-I'll-just-talk-nonsense. You've demonstrated you don't have the background to evaluate Golb Snr's contribution to Dead Sea Scrolls research. You have read a few popular works and voila' you're an armchair expert. Can you explain why there are hundreds of scribal hands involved in the production of the scrolls? The only functional explanation is that the scrolls were (mainly) copied in the only place with large numbers of scribes, ie Jerusalem. No-one has responded meaningfully to the problem to justify the crap that the scrolls were copied by a few cultists at Qumran. On this issue Golb gets the points the rest get nothing. "Half-baked" is your rehearsal of those few things you've read.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes

User avatar
Secret Alias
Posts: 7851
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Raphael Haim Golb

Post by Secret Alias » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Agreed about the documents being produced in Jerusalem. Agreed Golb's position on them being taken to Qumran and representing more than one community is most reasonable. These texts do not represent a single library but many. Raphael embodies the Nietzschean dictum the best way to win an argument is to make a terrible case for the other side - only turned on its head!
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

User avatar
Secret Alias
Posts: 7851
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Raphael Haim Golb

Post by Secret Alias » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Just look at the way "the Zadokite document" as it was called ended up in the Cairo Geniza. Documents end up in other communities libraries. Or Philo ended up in Christian monasteries.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

User avatar
John T
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Raphael Haim Golb

Post by John T » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:05 pm

"The chief corollary of the [Golb] hypothesis is that the Essenes had nothing to do either with the Qumran settlement - a fortress in Golb's opinion - or with the manuscripts."....Geza Vermes, The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English pg. 19-20.

Considering all the recent discoveries in DNA and archaeology evidence of Qumran and the DSS, what would be the point to go over Golb's half-baked idea once again? :tombstone:

John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift

iskander
Posts: 1560
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Re: Raphael Haim Golb

Post by iskander » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm

John T wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:05 pm
"The chief corollary of the [Golb] hypothesis is that the Essenes had nothing to do either with the Qumran settlement - a fortress in Golb's opinion - or with the manuscripts."....Geza Vermes, The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English pg. 19-20.

Considering all the recent discoveries in DNA and archaeology evidence of Qumran and the DSS, what would be the point to go over Golb's half-baked idea once again? :tombstone:

John T
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LgD ... lb&f=false
norman.PNG
norman.PNG (32.75 KiB) Viewed 254 times

User avatar
Secret Alias
Posts: 7851
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Raphael Haim Golb

Post by Secret Alias » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:56 pm

what would be the point to go over Golb's half-baked idea once again?
But what's with the personal attacks? If the theory sucks demonstrate that it sucks. It really astounds me how prevalent this methodology is even in mainstream scholarship. I was watching a Facebook take down of Richard Carrier where dozens of 'real scholars' were bringing up personal attacks to dismiss Carrier. It started with Morton Smith and now these sorts of things have gone mainstream.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

User avatar
Secret Alias
Posts: 7851
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Raphael Haim Golb

Post by Secret Alias » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:07 pm

I tried to talk to Magen Broshi earlier this year. His wife said he was basically out of commission.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MrMacSon and 16 guests