Damascus

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Damascus

Post by Ethan »

Damascus is an interesting place in the Bible, much more then people think, the place is associated with Vineyards and Wine making, the
first appearance in the Bible is in Genesis 14:15 but writes 'left hand of Damascus' , the Hebrew 'left hand' is sĕmo'wl , similar too Ezekiel 16:46
which reads 'Samaria dwells in the left Hand ( sĕmo'wl) , Sodom in the right hand ( yamiyn)

Isa 10:9 - Samaria as Damascus
Gen 14:15 - Left hand (sĕmo'wl) of Damascus
1 Kings 20:34 - shalt make streets for thee in Damascus, as my father made in Samaria
Amos 3:12 - the children of Israel be taken out that dwell in Samaria in the corner of a bed, and in Damascus in a couch

Damascus appears in Zepheniah 2:9 , but only in the Septuagint.

Zeph 2:9
( Septuagint)
Therefore, [as] I live, saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, Moab shall be as Sodom, and the children of Ammon as Gomorrah; and Damascus shall left as a heap of the threshing-floor, and desolate for ever: and the remnant of my people shall plunder them, and the remnant of my nations shall inherit them.

( KJV )
Therefore as I live, saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Surely Moab shall be as Sodom, and the children of Ammon as Gomorrah, even the breeding of nettles, and saltpits, and a perpetual desolation: the residue of my people shall spoil them, and the remnant of my people shall possess the

The Damascus does however appear in the Hebrew text, but is written 'ממשק'( MMSQ), compare with Damascus which is דמשק ( DMSQ)

The Bible often pairs Sodom with Gomorrah, else it is paired with Samaria.

Ezekiel 16:46
Elder sister is Samaria
Younger sister is Sodom

According to 1 Kings 16:24, Samaria was founded by Omri ( עָמְרִי ) which is identical to the name Gomorrah ( עֲמֹרָה ) and
Sodom & Gomorrah are also associated with Vineyards.

Deuteronomy 32:32 - For their vine is of the vine of Sodom, and of the fields of Gomorrah: their grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are bitter.
Jeremiah 31:5 - Thou shalt yet plant vines upon the mountains of Samaria

The name Sodom derives from שִׂדִּים meaning Cultivated Field or threshing-floor and Gomorrah derives from חֶמֶר (Chemer) meaning Wine
and Samaria derives from שֶׁמֶר (Shemer ) meaning dregs/settlings of wine, When Wine is fermented it leaves behind Tartaric Acid and Salt as a by-product and that is why in Zephaniah writes about 'salt pits' , see Joshua 15:62 reading 'City of Salt' , but is named Sadom in the Septuagint,
but also in Genesis 14:3 ' Siddim which is the Salt Sea' , because the Greek word for Salt is ἁλῶν but also means 'threshing floor'

Genesis 14:3
Joined together in the vineyards

Genesis 14:10
In the Vineyards, they were wells and the wells were full of Wine.

Obadiah 1:19
fields(sadeh) of Ephraim, and the fields(sadeh) of Samaria

The Beqaa Valley is home to Lebanon's famous vineyards and wineries. Wine making is a tradition that goes back 6000 years in Lebanon.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf