Zeus is the Jewish God.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Zeus is the Jewish God.

Post by Ethan »

The most popular deity in the Mesopotamian-Levant world, especially during the Hellenistic period was Zeus, He was also worshipped in the Levant , remains of Ancient temples to Zeus from the Hellenistic period exist, for example the Temple of Beit She'an (Zeus Akraios') in Israel built in the 3rd Century BCE , the name 'Beit Shean' means 'House of Zeus' and appears in 1 Samuel 31:10 ' they fastened his body to the wall of Bethshan. ' in which the body of King Saul was fastened upon the Temple of She'an , as if Saul was the God of the temple. the temple of Beit She'an was built in the 3rd century which means the Book of Samuel is Hellenistic, hence all the anachronistic references to Alexander the Great.

The name Beth Shan, in Hebrew is שְׁאָן, from שָאוֹן ( Shaown) (off Zeus) ( a Greek locative noun) and that is how Saul (שָׁאוּל) was named, the name
Saul means 'Oh Zeus' , שא with the conditional particle לוּא.

I want to talk about a crucial rule in Greek, Arabic and Hebrew languages is that a god must always have a 'prefix definite article, for example in the New Testament whenever you will find the name God and look up the Greek it is written 'ὁ Θεός , the article is ὁ and in Arabic it is AL, thus the God is written Al-ʾālihah ( The God) and it also exists in Hebrew, the Arabic AL is the same as אל , You will actually find the name Allah in the Old Testament written אל עליון in Gen 14:20 , but they don't translate אל as a prefix article, instead they translate to 'God which is wrong, the Septuagint is aware אל is a prefix article and translate it as ὁ, thus אל עליון is ὁ θεὸς. אל עליון ( Al-Hlion) comes from Greek ὁ ἠέλιον ( O Helios) and that is the real meaning of the name Allah.

God appears in Genesis 35:11 and announces his name to Jacob, the English reads 'I am God Almighty' , In Hebrew that is אל שדי , the Septuagint
renders it ὁ θεός, or ὁ(אל) θεός (שדי ) literally o zdeǔ̯s ( Zeus in spartan dialect ) (see 1 Maccabees 12:20-22 )

Gen 35:11
And God said unto him, I am Zeus

Job 21:20
His eyes shall see his destruction, and he shall drink of the wrath of Zeus

Throughout the Old Testament, an odd phrase occurs ' God is a Rock ' , for example Psalm 94:22, but the Septuagint reads it 'ὁ θεός '
in sense, Rock is his name, ( 'Elohim tsuwr' ) , in this case 'Elohim' serves as a prefix article because in the Greek it is ὁ(Elohim) θεός (Tsuwr), that is why Elohim is often prefixed with Yahweh, see also Deu 32:4, Deu 32:3, 1 Sa 2:2, Ps 18:31, Ps 62:6, Hab 1:12, the Hebrew Tsuwr is always Theos in the Septuagint, the Septuagint is not a translation of the masoretic and i have figured out that Tsuwr (צוּר) is a textual corruption of Tsuph (צוּף) , a transliteration of Zeus ( pronounced Zufs) and the evidence is Psalm 81:16 which reads 'Honey out of a rock (צוּר), but aught to read Honey out of a honeycomb (צוּף) (Tsuph), it seems a scribe went through the scripture corrupting ף into ר and mistakenly corrupted Psalm 81:16 .
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Re: Zeus is the Jewish God.

Post by Ethan »

What is never talked about, is why did Rome dedicate Jerusalem too Jupiter, firstly, the name 'Jupiter' is wrong, the correct Latin name is IOVIS, the Latin name for Zeus, since Zeus was worshipped in the Levant then what name did they call him , they must have had a Phoenician name for him and they did, יְהֹוָה , the temple was always dedicated to Zeus , Romans rebuilt it in 135 CE , King Herod was Pro-Roman, he built Roman temples and bath houses, the conflict had to do with the Imperial Cult of Rome and so Temples to Zeus where re-dedicated to the Imperial Cult and this caused uproar with the traditionalists.

The Passover, in Hebrew is פֶּסַח derives from Greek πήδησις (Latin Passus/Pete) was a lamb sacrifice ( Ovis Idulis ) on the Ides of Nissan , Romans, Greeks and Jews all sacrificed the Lamb to the God on the same day, however they named him in their languages, Zeus, Iove Ieue, What also begin on the Ides of Nissan is the festival of Anna Perenna, the goddess of Barley-cakes, the food of slavery eaten by Gladiators and Spartans, known as Helots ( Hebrews), the Hebrew word for 'Unleavened Bread' which is 'מַצָּה' ( Mtsah ) derives from the Greek word for barley-cake, 'μᾶζα' (Mazh) , from the Greek μάσσω (masso) meaning Knead and ἄζυμος (Azumos) which reminds them of the slavery they endured under the Persians.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jupiter = Zeu-Pater or Dyeus-Pater.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm Jupiter = Zeu-Pater or Dyeus-Pater.
I can't find any ancient reference to the name Jupiter in Latin, I can only find the name Iovis , he is written that way in Latin literature such as Ovid and in Epigraphy , I conclude the name Jupiter came from the Imperial Cult, from Divvs Pater ( Julius Caesar) since his successor Augustus was titled Divvs Filivs .

Zeus as hundreds of titles and epithets but not Father-Zeus
http://www.theoi.com/Cult/ZeusTitles.html

Thus is strange why the New Testament would use the phrase ' God the Father' ( theos-pater) , in the 1st century Greek speaking world, that is Imperial Cult terminology as in Julius Caesar, since Theos is the title of Julius Caesar as a translation of Divus

See the Greek name THEOS ( Julius Caesar) , the other side is Augustus

Zeus in Greek is 'ὁ θεός ( O Zeus ) but never 'Theos Zeus' ( The God Zeus) so Theos as a standalone Greek word was used as a title for Imperial rulers, although Julius Caesar was dead when that coin was produced, thus was the 'God in Heaven' or 'The Father who art in Heaven' ( similar phrase used in Ovid to describe Julius) , that is the source of Christianity.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ethan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:23 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm Jupiter = Zeu-Pater or Dyeus-Pater.
I can't find any ancient reference to the name Jupiter in Latin, I can only find the name Iovis, he is written that way in Latin literature such as Ovid and in Epigraphy....
Ovid has lots of instances of Iuppiter (click on the link, select virtually any of the sublinks on the Ovid page, and then do a page search for "Iuppiter"). Cicero writes in Against Cataline 3.22: "He, he — Jupiter — resisted them; He determined that the Capitol should be safe, he saved these temples, he saved this city, he saved all of you," and Jupiter is in the nominative; thus: Iuppiter.

It is truly a special case in Latin:

Iuppiter = nominative.
Iovis = genitive.
Iovi = dative.
Iovem = accusative.
Iove = ablative.

I am not exactly an expert on this divine name in the inscriptions, but I am going to guess that it would be uncommon in the nominative and far more common in the dative (as an object of dedication) or the other oblique cases; also, it may often be abbreviated. Still, a bit of googling has turned up an instance of the more primitive diespiter/diesptr in an inscription (Oscan, I think) listed in the CIL.
I conclude the name Jupiter came from the Imperial Cult....
Oh, it is way older than that.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Here is part of an Umbrian inscription, rendered into Latin: Iuppiter sancte, tibi istum vitulum votivum sisto. The original Umbrian is just above it in the footnote: Iupater sace, tefe estu vitlu vufru sestu.

And here is a list of divine names from another early inscription: diesptr iuno mircurios iacor.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

All the names begin with Iov- however Iuppiter starts with Iup- most like due to the fact the Greek U is pronounced F / P , Most people pronounce Zeus like Zoos, when in reality it's ' Zefs , However the name Iovis is not directly derived from Zeus, but from Linear-B 'DI WO that's also the source of the Phoenician name YHWH ( pronounced Yefh ), hence why these Gods sound alike.

Latin-Phoenician-Greek are all based on the same alphabet , Here are the first Six letters.

A - Alef - Alpha - Α
B - Bet - Beta - Β
C - Gimel - Gamma - Γ
D - Dalet - Delta - Δ
E - He - Epsilon - Ε
F - Vav - Digamma - Ϝ

Ζεύ was originally ΖεϜ , Ϝ derives from the Phoenician letter Vav and thus YHW is correctly IEϜ , in Latin dialects Iup, the
letter W is as it sounds, 'Double O ' or ω derives from the doubling עע (Ayin-Ayin), thus YHWH in Phoenician would be 'יְהֹעעה (Iehooeh)
which doesn't mean anything, that is why Jews are unable to pronounce יְהֹוָה (Yef).

The evidence, for example the name David in Phoenician is דָּוִד, however Jews would say it is DWD, which would be דָּעעד however
the Septuagint correctly reads it Δαβίδ ( Dafid ) not Δωδ ( Dood).

Greek, Latin and Hebrew are part of the same Language tree and are all rooted in Linear B, a common Hebrew word is Beth
meaning House, the Greek word is Oikos (οἶκος), If you study the etymology of Oikos, it was originally written Ϝοἶκος and
derives from Linear B 'Wo-i-ko (WIK) , in Phoenician, W is written B and K is T and thus WIK > BIT בַּיִת

The Linear B word for daughter is Tu-Ka-Te , source of the Greek Thugater hence the English word Daughter, it
is also the root of the Latin Filia and Hebrew Beth , meaning daughter.

Tukate > Tbkate > Tbkte > Tbhte > Bhte > Bht > Bt ( בַּת )
Last edited by Ethan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Ethan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm I want to talk about a crucial rule in Greek, Arabic and Hebrew languages is that a god must always have a 'prefix definite article, for example in the New Testament whenever you will find the name God and look up the Greek it is written 'ὁ Θεός , the article is ὁ and in Arabic it is AL, thus the God is written Al-ʾālihah ( The God) and it also exists in Hebrew, the Arabic AL is the same as אל , You will actually find the name Allah in the Old Testament written אל עליון in Gen 14:20 , but they don't translate אל as a prefix article, instead they translate to 'God which is wrong, the Septuagint is aware אל is a prefix article and translate it as ὁ, thus אל עליון is ὁ θεὸς. אל עליון ( Al-Hlion) comes from Greek ὁ ἠέλιον ( O Helios) and that is the real meaning of the name Allah.
The highlighted portion is incorrect.

In Arabic, the definite article ال (al-) corresponds to Hebrew ה (ha-). So for example, "the man" would be האיש (ha-ish) in Hebrew, while in Arabic it would be الرجل (al-rajul, or more properly ar-rajul, since in pronunciation the lam is assimilated to the ra).

The Hebrew אל is not—I repeat, not—the definite article.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Nathan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:54 pm
Ethan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm I want to talk about a crucial rule in Greek, Arabic and Hebrew languages is that a god must always have a 'prefix definite article, for example in the New Testament whenever you will find the name God and look up the Greek it is written 'ὁ Θεός , the article is ὁ and in Arabic it is AL, thus the God is written Al-ʾālihah ( The God) and it also exists in Hebrew, the Arabic AL is the same as אל , You will actually find the name Allah in the Old Testament written אל עליון in Gen 14:20 , but they don't translate אל as a prefix article, instead they translate to 'God which is wrong, the Septuagint is aware אל is a prefix article and translate it as ὁ, thus אל עליון is ὁ θεὸς. אל עליון ( Al-Hlion) comes from Greek ὁ ἠέλιον ( O Helios) and that is the real meaning of the name Allah.
The highlighted portion is incorrect.

In Arabic, the definite article ال (al-) corresponds to Hebrew ה (ha-). So for example, "the man" would be האיש (ha-ish) in Hebrew, while in Arabic it would be الرجل (al-rajul, or more properly ar-rajul, since in pronunciation the lam is assimilated to the ra).

The Hebrew אל is not—I repeat, not—the definite article.
The Arabic definite article AL is not exclusive too Arabic, it also exists in Latin, the name 'Alexander the Great' is written Magnus ille Alexander , the article here is ' ille ' , אל is easily confused with a deity, named עליון, pronounced in Aramaic ' Ilāh that formed the
name Ilāh hag-Gabal but written Heliogabalus thus Ilāh / עליון is a transliteration of the Greek Ἥλιος (אֵלִיָּה) .

In Genesis 1 , the name Elohim in the Septuagint is written ὁ θεός, but Elohim is confusingly a plural without any prefix article, however the Septuagint is not translating from the Masoretic, but the name begins with 'אל and thus the Septuagint must be translating as if it was two words, אלה ים ( the Yam ) since Yam is the name of the primordial god of Chaos and the Sea (or North-west wind) in Phoenician.
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

I have been reluctant to comment on Ethan's junky pseudolinguistics, but I must note that Zeus's name is Indo-European, not Semitic
  • Germanic: *Tiwaz > Old English Tiu, Old Norse Tyr
  • Latin: Jup(p)iter < Jovis Pater ("Father Jove")
  • Greek: Zeus Pater ("Father Zeus")
  • Sanskrit: Dyaus Pitar ("Father Dyaus")
In Proto-Indo-European, this is *Dyêus Pätêr (my spelling), roughly "Father Sky". Latin, Greek, Sanskrit, and likely PIE used name-title, while English uses title-name.
Last edited by lpetrich on Sat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.