Bethlehem

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Bethlehem

Post by Ethan »

Genesis 35:19 - Ephrath is Bethlehem.
Micah 5:2 - But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah
1 Samuel 17:21 - Ephrathite Bethlehem

In the Hebrew Bible, names are often accompanied with another word of similar meaning, in this case Ephrath
means Bethlehem, thus Ephrath must somehow mean Bread.

אֶפְרָת (APRT)
- This word does not root from פָּרָה PRE but words with אוּר BOR and בָּעַר AUR

בָּעַר [ Bor ] is related too ρῶσις [Brosis] and βρωτόν [Broton], Greek words relating too Bread, as well as the word 'Bread' ( BRD) itself.

APRT > BRT > BRD ( Bread )
APRT > ART > ἄρτος

בָּעַר / אוּר 'Fire' referring to the baking process, the Hebrew וּ equates with F (Digamma), thus AUR > APR (אֶפְרָת ) but also PUR (Fire)
and PUROS(πυρός) meaning 'Flour' , In Hebrew, 'Bake-Cake' is לָבַב (Labab), לְבִיבוֹת (Labibah) and חַלָּה (Challah) and these relate to the Greek word for a Oven, Kilbanos (κλίβανος ) .

A Greek word for a 'thin broad cake' is LAGANA (λάγανα ) used in the Septuagint, as a translation of לֶחֶם , but they
are cognates.

לֶחֶם [Thin Broad Cake]
- LKM > LKN > Lagana > Lasagna '

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... a&la=greek
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Re: Bethlehem

Post by Ethan »

Rachel was buried in Bethlehem-Ephrath , the mother of Benjamin [Bn-Yamiyn] and Joseph , who fathered Manessah and Ephraim, for it
reads in Genesis 48:13 ' Jacob held Ephraim in his Right-Arm [Yamiyn].

According to Gen 35:18, Benjamin was originally named Benoni (Ben-Aven) , so this is a masculine form of Beth-Aven.
Aven is אוֹן (On ) , the Mother of Ephraim was Asenath ( daughter of ON )(Gen 41:4), The Septuagint however reads אוֹן (On ) as 'Heliopolis' ( Baalbek) which is בֵּית שֶׁמֶשׁ ( Beth-Shemesh) or Bethel (οἰκός ἥλιος) and thus Asenath/Potiphar are Phoenicians not Egyptians.

Hos 12:1 - Ephraim feedeth on wind, he daily increaseth lies and desolation is carried into Egypt.
Hos 12:7 - He is a merchant (Canaanite) , the balances of deceit are in his hand: he loveth to oppress.
Hos 12:9 - I that am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt
Hos 12:14 - Ephraim provoked him to anger most bitterly:
Hos 5:8 - the trumpet in Ramah: cry aloud at Bethaven, after thee, O Benjamin
Hos 13:12 -The iniquity of Ephraim is bound up; his sin is hid (צָפַן - Tsaphan)

Hosea 12:8
Ephraim said, "Surely I have become rich, I have found myself wealth (אוֹן - AWN )
all my labours they shall find none iniquity (עָוֹן `OWN) in me that were sin.

Gen 41:57 [ Joseph the Merchant]
All countries came into Egypt to Joseph to buy corn because the famine was so sore in all lands.

Joseph is a Merchant hence the title, 'Treasurer of the Phoenicians' ( Tsaphenath-paneah ), root is צָפַן [Tsaphan] ' treasure' , see Hosea 13:12 ' his sin is hid (צָפַן - Tsaphan ) whom traded Corn/Wheat hence Granary (Bethlehem)
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf