50 people in the Hebrew Bible also in archaeology

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
semiopen

Re: 50 people in the Hebrew Bible also in archaeology

Post by semiopen »

The standard answer to the lack of a dot seems to be that the writer made a mistake. If you assume this however, that's got to put at least an asterisk by the reference to David. The guy is writing a Stele for his king before they had worker protection laws... maybe I guess.

My understanding is that all the dots on the Stele are appropriately placed except for this one.

I've also seen an opinion that the lack of a dot is normal

http://jewishstudies.rutgers.edu/compon ... Itemid=158

I'm not convinced by this article, but didn't read it carefully.
Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Diogenes the Cynic »

The lack of a dot could also be because there was no space. I think it's just inconclusive. I don't say it can't be a reference to a Davidic dynasty, but it's not a sure thing.

For all we know, the Davidic legend could have grown from the place name in a manner analogous to Romulus and Rome.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:The lack of a dot could also be because there was no space. I think it's just inconclusive. I don't say it can't be a reference to a Davidic dynasty, but it's not a sure thing.

For all we know, the Davidic legend could have grown from the place name in a manner analogous to Romulus and Rome.
Yeah, that's why I liked the way you originally put it.
nili

Post by nili »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:It means "Beloved," which is attested at least once in the Tanakh that I know of as an honorific for God (Isaiah 5:1)
Yes, that is the etymology of David.
nili

Post by nili »

semiopen wrote:The standard answer to the lack of a dot seems to be that the writer made a mistake. If you assume this however, that's got to put at least an asterisk by the reference to David. The guy is writing a Stele for his king before they had worker protection laws... maybe I guess.

My understanding is that all the dots on the Stele are appropriately placed except for this one.

I've also seen an opinion that the lack of a dot is normal

http://jewishstudies.rutgers.edu/compon ... Itemid=158

I'm not convinced by this article, but didn't read it carefully.
Thank you.
Diogenes the Cynic

nili wrote:
Diogenes the Cynic wrote:It means "Beloved," which is attested at least once in the Tanakh that I know of as an honorific for God (Isaiah 5:1)
I know. That's my point. The name has an etymology. It's not just a name, it's also a regular word.
nili

Post by nili »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:
nili wrote:
I know. That's my point. The name has an etymology. It's not just a name, it's also a regular word.
And it's a valid point. (You might find this interesting as well.)

But your point takes me back to an earlier question. Is there a rendering of the inscription that you find most plausible?
Diogenes the Cynic

I'm saying a place name is equally plausible. "City of David" would be plausible.
nili

Post by nili »

Diogenes the Cynic wrote:I'm saying a place name is equally plausible. "City of David" would be plausible.
I understand that this is what you are saying. I also understand that you are repeatedly avoiding my question. As you wish. I still think I might benefit from reading your equally plausible rendering of the inscription, but I don't want to push you into doing something that you feel ill prepared to do.
Diogenes the Cynic

I just gave you a rendering - "City of David." It's not so much a question of translation, but whether it's a family name or a place name. Is it BYTDWD or BYT.DWD? It could be either, and the lack of a divider usually means a place name. If we did not know of a King David from the Bible, BYTDWD would be taken at least initially as a probable place name. We don't wonder is there was a "House of Bread" dynasty or a "House of El" dynasty.