Carthage

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Carthage

Post by Ethan »

Ezekiel 27:25
The ships of Carthage did sing of thee in thy market: and thou wast replenished, and made very glorious in the midst of the seas.
πλοῖα ἐν αὐτοῖς Καρχηδόνιοι ἔμποροί σου ἐν τῷ πλήθει ἐν τῷ συμμίκτῳ σου καὶ ἐνεπλήσθης καὶ ἐβαρύνθης σφόδρα ἐν καρδίᾳ θαλάσσης

Καρχηδόνιοι is תַּרְשִׁישׁ [Tarshiysh]
ἄνθρακος is תַּרְשִׁישׁ [Tarshiysh] (Ezekiel 10:9 )

Κ-Θ, χ-σ , δ-ς
Καρχηδ > Θαρσις
ἄνθρακος > ἄθρακος > αθρακα > Africa

Phoenician colonists from modern-day Lebanon, led by Dido (also known as Queen Elissa), founded Carthage circa 814 BC and Elissa [Ελισα] appears in Gen. 10:4 next too Carthage.

Gen 10:4 - Carthage
1 Kings 10:22 - Navy of Carthage
2 Chronicles 9:21 - For the king's ships went to Carthage
Isa 23:1 - The burden of Tyre. Howl, ye ships of Carthage
Eze 27:12 - Carthage was thy merchant by reason of the multitude of all kind of riches
Jon 1:3 - But Jonah rose up to flee unto Carthage

Phoenician Empire

Melqart was the tutelary god of Carthage and identified with Heracles and referred to as the Tyrian Herakles.

The names Melqart & Herakles are linguistically identical.

MHLKART > HLKART > HRKALS > HERAKLES
MHLKART > MHRKARS > MERCURIUS

Melqart true root meaning is *merg- 'boundary-marker' , this applies to Hercules, Mercurius, Elohim and Hermes.

Ἑρμῆς (Ermhs)
- Pillar surmounted by bust,
- Boundary Marker
- Orienteering stones ( Joshua 4:20)
- Boundary markers dedicated to Hermes as a god of travelers
- Mount Hermon (ἑρμαῖον) is the boundary marker in the Levant (Joshua 11:17)

Pillars of Hercules are boundary markers.

Melqart

Hermes

Jesus
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
sjacrane

Re: Carthage

Post by sjacrane »

Hi, could you please tell me how you came to find out that the true etymological root of Melqart is merg? Are there any reliable sources online which show this? I tried to search but couldn’t seem to find what I needed. Many thanks.
Ethan

Re: Carthage

Post by Ethan »

sjacrane wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 am Hi, could you please tell me how you came to find out that the true etymological root of Melqart is merg? Are there any reliable sources online which show this? I tried to search but couldn’t seem to find what I needed. Many thanks.
This an old post and refines the possible definitions.

The Phoenician word is מלקרת and initial מ is most often a prosthetic of a Greek ending transposed as a prefix, thus מלקרת would equate with Ἡράκλειον. ιον/מ. I believe In Phoenician, the word Ἡρακλῆς sounded like הרג־ליש (erglis) meaning "Lion Slayer"

It also seems that Melqart equates with Mercurius, equating with Hermes, or his epithet, ἐργάτας compare with ἔργμᾳ, ἔργον, ϝάργον, ϝέργον, in these examples, the endings are transposed into prefix in the Phoenician language, hence the Phoenician words, מלאך "Messenger" and מלאכה "workmanship".

לאך < מלאך > lăbos > Labor, Labourer.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf