The name Metatron for Enoch in ascent texts

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
stephan happy huller

Re: The name Metatron for Enoch in ascent texts

Post by stephan happy huller »

And Shadai was translated 'the sufficient power' by Aquila. Clearly a second power in heaven. Justin takes the being who visits Abraham here as a second angel. So does Clement.
Everyone loves the happy times
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

neilgodfrey wrote:To veer off into another direction from the main theme here, if numbers held mystical significance (I understand they did) could the name have been derived with gematria in mind? The Greek word here, μετετέθη, I think amounts to 666. The Hebrew מטטרון to 314. Has there been any discussion along those lines?
I have not seen any number symbolism WRT Metatron discussed by Gershom Scholem in Major Trends in Jewish Mysticism (1946) or Jewish Gnosticism, Merkabah Mysticism, and Talmudic Tradition (2nd ed 1965, 1960), which were my primary source besides the Jewish Encyclopedia article, which I looked at to see if I could gain any clues as to how Greek words may have been transliterated into Hebrew letters (but not the other way around, which is a different matter entirely).

DCH
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

stephan happy huller wrote:μετετέθη

40 + 5 + 300 + 5 + 300 + 5 + 9 + 8 = 672 something other than 666

The first three letters though have a value of 345
Ah, thanks -- it all looks different in the clear light of morning. For some reason on a dark weary late night I read ε as representing 3.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science