Logos

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
semiopen
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Logos

Post by semiopen » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 am

John T wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:14 am
Ethan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:50 am

Many American Christians believe the Earth is flat, that's what happens when you give people bad logos.
Care to provide a cite that supports that outrageous claim?
Or are you just using bad logos?
This has gotten quite a bit of publicity lately. Google "percent american christian who believe earth is flat" for example.

For example - Most flat earthers consider themselves very religious - https://today.yougov.com/topics/philoso ... -religious
Just 66% of millennials firmly believe that the earth is round
According to the article, 84% of US adults believe the earth is round. The remaining 16% are less sure. It's hard to imagine a non-Christian and/or a non-Trump supporter believing this.

The survey might be questionable, but I think 2% is a percentage of flat earthers in the US that is generally accepted. That can be termed many.

Ethan is quite skilled at inserting grains of truth in his bullshit.

Ethan
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: England

Re: Logos

Post by Ethan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 am

הגידה - EGIDE "bring tidings, report, tell" (Sng 1:7)
הגיד - EGID "carry back tidings of, report," (Gen 3:11)

ἄγω, ἦγε : lead, carry, fetch, bring

According too the PIE , ἄγω from *h₂éǵeti and this is just הגידה
same as Iranian, *Háĵati .

Nationalist Catholics behind the PIE Language project are lying yet again
as well the Christians who wrote the Strong's Lexicon producing false root words.
ΕΥΟΙ ΣΑΒΟΙ

User avatar
Ben C. Smith
Posts: 5430
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Logos

Post by Ben C. Smith » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:15 am

semiopen wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 am
This has gotten quite a bit of publicity lately. Google "percent american christian who believe earth is flat" for example.

For example - Most flat earthers consider themselves very religious - https://today.yougov.com/topics/philoso ... -religious
Just 66% of millennials firmly believe that the earth is round
According to the article, 84% of US adults believe the earth is round. The remaining 16% are less sure. It's hard to imagine a non-Christian and/or a non-Trump supporter believing this.
According to another article about that same poll:

Comparing religious beliefs, YouGov found that Democrats are slightly less likely to believe the Earth is round than Republicans (83 versus 89 percent, respectively). This, perhaps, could be an overprint of younger generations more likely to lean Democratic and older generations more likely to lean Republican.

(You can find these results on the original YouGov page, as well.)

The important factor, then, may be age and not political affiliation:

YouGov Poll.jpg
YouGov Poll.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 290 times

I have thought on numerous occasions that I was noticing a rise in unscientific and even antiscientific thought among the younger generation, by comparison both with my own generation and with those older than I am, and I have yet to be disabused of that impression.

The poll also found that 75% of flat-earthers considered themselves either "very religious" (52%) or "somewhat religious" (23%), while 25% considered themselves either "not very religious" (8%) or "not religious at all" (17%). I wonder how those numbers compare to the overall spread of religiosity in the US. Is it the religious who are overrepresented among flat-earthers, or is it the irreligious? Or do the numbers line up to the point where religion might have nothing to do with it? This is not a rhetorical question. I am asking.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΕΘΕΙΑ

semiopen
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Logos

Post by semiopen » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:31 am

There seems to have been a lot of criticism about that poll, but it is interesting.

Made me wonder about Americans who are biblical literalists. Would they be on average: smarter; dumber; or equally as stupid as flat earthers?

Probably fbiblical literalists are smarter than flat earthers , figuring that flat earthers are pretty close to the tail of a bell shaped intelligence curve.

Record Few Americans Believe Bible Is Literal Word of God - https://news.gallup.com/poll/210704/rec ... d-god.aspx
Fewer than one in four Americans (24%) now believe the Bible is "the actual word of God, and is to be taken literally, word for word," similar to the 26% who view it as "a book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man." This is the first time in Gallup's four-decade trend that biblical literalism has not surpassed biblical skepticism.
The world can be a scary place.

User avatar
John T
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Logos

Post by John T » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:58 am

Just what I thought, more bad logos by Ethan.

'Many' means a large number. Only bad logos could come up with 2% being a large number.

Furthermore, did the poll really say 2% of Christians thought the earth is flat or did it say 2% of the people believed it was flat?
Using the same method, I wonder how many of those polled would strongly agree that the flying spaghetti monster is real?

I tried to find the methodology used but it was not available.

Translation: A garbage poll will always get garbage results. :facepalm:
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift

semiopen
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Logos

Post by semiopen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 pm

Just a little free debating advice.

The poll is questionable, perhaps dubious, but it's a serious technical problem with your position. You should have looked it up before you made the initial remark. Attacking the poll now is too late.

I gave the 2% number as a conservative percentage, that nobody would seriously disagree with. The actual poll we were discussing has 16% of American adults not being convinced the earth is round.

Anyway I guess there are more than 150 million American adults, but let's say there are just 100 million. 2% is 2 million people. That's many people.

I have no idea what Ethan is going on about in this thread, but this probably isn't the best way to attack it.

User avatar
John T
Posts: 1005
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:57 am

Re: Logos

Post by John T » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:51 pm

semiopen wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 pm
Just a little free debating advice.

The poll is questionable, perhaps dubious, but it's a serious technical problem with your position. You should have looked it up before you made the initial remark. Attacking the poll now is too late.
Statistical Data and Polling is real science but junk polling is a form of propaganda.

The problem with junk polls is fake-news media report them as fact and many liberal/atheists believe it because they saw it somewhere on the internet and as useful idiots they will spread the meme.

Instead of criticizing me for pointing out the irony of Ethan using bad logos to incorrectly point out bad logos, you should laugh with me, or better yet, thank me.

Finally, Ethan's motive for starting Logos is not explicit in his posts but his labeling of Christians being dumb as flat-earthers comes through loud and clear. Perhaps you should equally admonish Ethan?

Either way, it doesn't matter because I'm done with this thread.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift

semiopen
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: Logos

Post by semiopen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Reminds me of the coffee cup ambush in Ronin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbv4oCv100

The more famous line in that scene, of course, is the question about the color of the boathouse at Hereford.

User avatar
lpetrich
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 am

Re: Logos

Post by lpetrich » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Ethan wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 am
(yet more Goropism snipped for brevity...)
Ethan, I have never seen you post on where Greek and Hebrew differ. Always on what you consider similarities between the two languages.
Nationalist Catholics behind the PIE Language project are lying yet again
Nationalist Catholics???
as well the Christians who wrote the Strong's Lexicon producing false root words.
How is that supposed to be the case?

Ethan
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:15 pm
Location: England

Re: Logos

Post by Ethan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:31 pm

lpetrich wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:28 pm
Ethan, I have never seen you post on where Greek and Hebrew differ. Always on what you consider similarities between the two languages.
The main differ are the length of the words.

The pronouns, His and Her are attached too the suffix of Hebrew words.

"His House"
ביתו
οἶκος αὑτς
ϝικ-ὸ


"Her House"
ביתה
οἶκος αὑτς
ϝικ-ῆ

unattached forms of the pronouns do appear in the Torah
and they resemble Greek.

אתו (ATU) - αὑτὸ (Gen 35:9)
אתה (ATE) - αὑτῆ ( Gen 24:47)

"My House"
ביתי
οἶκός μου
parn-mi (Hittite)

"Thy House"
ביתך
οἶκός σου

Pronouns of the 1st person
ἐγώ, ἐγών, ἐγώγε : אני, אנא, אנכי,אנוכי.
ΕΥΟΙ ΣΑΒΟΙ

Post Reply