What is the Biblia Hebraica exactly?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
neilgodfrey

What is the Biblia Hebraica exactly?

Post by neilgodfrey »

I assumed the words simply meant "Hebrew Bible". But I'm reading them in Michael Goulder's book, The Evangelists' Calendar, and there they appear without explanation (or I've missed it) and appear to mean that whatever the Biblia Hebraica is, its Torah is known to have a uniform 320 pages of text -- in all editions ever since the beginning of its time. He doesn't say that explicitly, but it seems to be the only way to understand his remark.

Is there a formal edition of the HB that has always conformed to exact page reproductions ever since, say, the 5th century? Are all HB's printed that way?

Goulder's remark and my question have a point: it's part of his argument for set liturgical readings being traceable back to the Mishah at least.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
semiopen2

Re: What is the Biblia Hebraica exactly?

Post by semiopen2 »

[wiki]Biblia_Hebraica_(Kittel)[/wiki]

Looks like wiki link is not working...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblia_Hebraica_(Kittel)
Biblia Hebraica refers almost exclusively to the three editions of the Hebrew Bible edited by Rudolf Kittel
Their main feature was their footnotes recording possible corrections to the Hebrew text. Many are based on the Samaritan Pentateuch and on early Bible translations such as the Septuagint, Vulgate and Peshitta; others are conjectural emendations.
spin

Re: What is the Biblia Hebraica exactly?

Post by spin »

semiopen2 wrote:[wiki]Biblia_Hebraica_(Kittel)[/wiki]

Looks like wiki link is not working...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblia_Hebraica_(Kittel)
It works, but you've found what seems like a serious bug in phpBB's BBCode parser. For some reason it doesn't permit parentheses and other non-alphabetic characters, so anything that's got'em is spewed out.

Royal Saxon tomb in Prittlewell

Anglo-Saxons

[wiki]Anglo-Saxons#After the Norman Conquest[/wiki]

[wiki]Grace O'Malley[/wiki]

[wiki]"The Rock"[/wiki]

This is unfortunate. Lots of Wiki pages require parentheses.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes