Was there a Jewish temple in ancient Egypt?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
arnoldo

Was there a Jewish temple in ancient Egypt?

Post by arnoldo »

DCHindley

Re: Was there a Jewish temple in ancient Egypt?

Post by DCHindley »

There were two, actually.

The one on Elephantine Island, which dates to Persian times, and a second "anti-temple" in Heliopolis, Egypt, built by the son of the HP Onias, probably not too long after 164 BCE.

That article you linked to seems to have a weird agenda to it.

DCH
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

DCHindley wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:36 pm

The one on Elephantine Island, which dates to Persian times, and a second "anti-temple" in Heliopolis, Egypt, built by the son of the HP Onias, probably not too long after 164 BCE.

DCH
I noticed that too. The article seemed to be written to imply that there had been some doubt about the existence of the Elephantine temple previously which it (the article) was now clearing up.

Elephantine is fascinating. You get an indigenous population that was pissed off at the Jews there. We tend to think of mercenaries as people you don't want to mess with, but that must have been relatively easy work.

Around the same time, the Jews of Persia were saved only because a JPAWG won a beauty contest to become Queen.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

It begins with King Gyges, who sent Carian troops to assist Psamtik I [ 687 – 652 BCE] whom where then settled in Elephantine, Daphne and Marea as Greek colonies, note the Greek names. (ἐλέφας, δάφνη, μορέα).

Herodotus 2:30
In the reign of Psammetichus, there were watchposts at Elephantine facing Ethiopia, at Daphnae of Pelusium facing Arabia and Assyria and at Marea facing Libya.

Jeremiah 44:1
The Jews which dwell in the land of Egypt, which dwell at Migdol (Elephantine), and at Tahpanhes, and at Noph
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

DCH
The Temple of Leontopolis was closed in AD 73 according to the following source.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

arnoldo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:28 pm

DCH
The Temple of Leontopolis was closed in AD 73 according to the following source.
Yeah, Titus ordered it closed for fear that revolutionaries would rally around it and make another try at revolt. Seems the revolutionaries then decided to migrate south to Ethiopia. Most Hellenized Jews stayed in Alexandria and north east Africa, Cyprus and such, but even they attempted revolt in the 2nd decade of the 2nd century.

DCH
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I don't think there was a Jewish temple in Alexandria. Only a grand synagogue.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Secret Alias wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:00 am I don't think there was a Jewish temple in Alexandria. Only a grand synagogue.
That makes sense and may help explain the elusive oddity of this thread.

The Alexandria Basilica Synagogue Destroyed by Hadrian 280 BC - 117 AD http://www.bible.ca/synagogues/Alexandr ... lmud-280bc

I think, technically, a temple is a place where there are sacrifices, but Reform Jews decided to call synagogues temples because synagogue was too Jewish a word, although their explanation is probably more complementary to their decision making process. Certainly is possible to confuse the two different institutions. I guess it is possible to pray without killing animals. sort of takes the edge off though.

Don't know how good the link I posted is but -
There are no inscriptions or references of any kind of any synagogues in Babylon.