Can you confirm the Jewish view of our elevation in Eden?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
beowulf

Re: Can you confirm the Jewish view of our elevation in Eden

Post by beowulf »

Why do you say those things?

Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden by a Jewish God who ordered an angel with a flaming sword to keep them out.
Humanity was drowned by a Jewish God

Sodom and Gomorra were incinerated by a Jewish God

The people building the Babel Tower were punished by a Jewish God
The earth was divided between the nice chosen people and the hideous idolaters by a Jewish god -- causing many problems for the Jews

A Jewish God made 613 commandments and cut off the foreskin of his slaves
The Egyptians were tortured and drowned by a clumsy and cruel Jewish God
The Jewish God ordered his slaves to exterminate his enemies creating endless troubles for everyone

But-The Christian God came to plead guilty and be sentenced to death for the crimes of the Jewish god
Last edited by beowulf on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

To semiopen,

my answer to Gnostic is not meant to be taken seriously by you.

Gnostic bishop is the result of forums such as this one and the psychological cripples that preach in them.
Gnostic has a first rate' bloggerian' education
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

beowulf wrote:Why do you say those things?

Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden by a Jewish God who ordered an angel with a flaming sword to keep them out.
Humanity was drowned by a Jewish God

Sodom and Gomorra were incinerated by a Jewish God

The people building the Babel Tower were punished by a Jewish God
The earth was divided between the nice chosen people and the hideous idolaters by a Jewish god -- causing many problems for the Jews

A Jewish God made 613 commandments and cut off the foreskin of his slaves
The Egyptians were tortured and drowned by a clumsy and cruel Jewish God
The Jewish God ordered his slaves to exterminate his enemies creating endless troubles for everyone

But-The Christian God came to plead guilty and be sentenced to death for the crimes of the Jewish god
The Jews recognize that they did all you say God did. They have always been bright enough, I think, to know they should fight against God and make him serve man as is fitting.

The strong should serve the weak and not the weak serve the strong.

God, like the Sabbath, was created for man and not man created for God or the Sabbath.

Right?

Regards
DL
Thor

Post by Thor »

Lol!
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

Thor wrote:Lol!
You laugh at what Jesus taught.

You show that you cannot refute anything so the laugh is on you.

Regards
DL
semiopen2

Post by semiopen2 »

Nasty Bishop:

I don't see the connection between Original Sin and your so-called elevation.

There is no doubt that the incident was a sin of cosmic significance.

You didn't mention the actual verse you discuss -
Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said: 'Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.'
This verse is interesting because of the "us" הֵן הָאָדָם הָיָה כְּאַחַד מִמֶּנּוּ so who is he talking to? I guess this is your elevation. Pseudo-Jonathan thinks he is talking to the angels; some say it is the royal we. Your concept is at best dubious.

Even if it is an elevation in some sick and twisted universe, it does not mean that there wasn't a sin.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

semiopen2 wrote:Nasty Bishop:

I don't see the connection between Original Sin and your so-called elevation.

There is no doubt that the incident was a sin of cosmic significance.

You didn't mention the actual verse you discuss -
Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said: 'Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.'
This verse is interesting because of the "us" הֵן הָאָדָם הָיָה כְּאַחַד מִמֶּנּוּ so who is he talking to? I guess this is your elevation. Pseudo-Jonathan thinks he is talking to the angels; some say it is the royal we. Your concept is at best dubious.

Even if it is an elevation in some sick and twisted universe, it does not mean that there wasn't a sin.
What is sinful in becoming as Gods and developing a moral sense?

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Were A & E not following scriptures just as we are all supposed to?

Or are we to stay blind and dumb the way A & E were before their education that God wanted to deny them?

Would you follow a command that says that you are to stay stupid and without a moral sense?

Regards
DL
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

The bible regards Adam's (and Eve's and the serpent's) actions as a sin.

This makes the OP and the title wrong.

The whole point of Judaism is following the commandments. Here God gives a commandment that is disobeyed.

Nasty Bishop repeats the serpent's argument -
And the serpent said to the woman, "You are not going to die, 5 but God knows that as soon as you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like divine beings who know good and bad." (Gen 3:4-5 TNK)
Maybe he is right, sometimes I wonder how skillful the serpent would have been in chess.

However, there is no doubt that the bible takes this activity negatively. There is certainly no Jewish opinion that considers this a positive.

Perhaps, another incoherent NT quote will refute my view, but that is not Jewish.
Gnostic Bishop

Post by Gnostic Bishop »

semiopen wrote:The bible regards Adam's (and Eve's and the serpent's) actions as a sin.

This makes the OP and the title wrong.

The whole point of Judaism is following the commandments. Here God gives a commandment that is disobeyed.

Nasty Bishop repeats the serpent's argument -
And the serpent said to the woman, "You are not going to die, 5 but God knows that as soon as you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like divine beings who know good and bad." (Gen 3:4-5 TNK)
Maybe he is right, sometimes I wonder how skillful the serpent would have been in chess.

However, there is no doubt that the bible takes this activity negatively. There is certainly no Jewish opinion that considers this a positive.

Perhaps, another incoherent NT quote will refute my view, but that is not Jewish.
I gave a link to a Jewish position showing the positives.

If you are correct, then Jews should also recognize Original Sin. They do not.

They also never bemoan the loss of eternal life which indicates that it is not what we think it is and is not a great loss.

As to A & E, please tell us what is sinful about opening ones eyes and to reach out for the moral sense that God has.

It seems you are saying that being lie Gods is not a good thing.

Regards
DL
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

There was no Original Sin anywhere in Christianity until Augustine of Hippo invented it in the 5th century CE.

The Christian Greek Church does not believe in the original sin.

Islam and Judaism do not believe in the Original Sin.

The acceptance of the Doctrine of the Original Sin was limited to the Roman Church

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congr ... ts_en.html