Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Tom Skylark

Re: Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Post by Tom Skylark »

Joseph is Imhotep. Moses is Amenemhet IV. Now your making the Jews into Egyptians. Genesis 41:41-43 Joseph was a Hebrew who served an Egyptian king. Joseph rode in a chariot. Imhotep had no chariots. Archaeologist in 1959 A.D. at the fortress Buhen, Nubia found a horse skeleton under the ramparts of the fortress built by Senusret III.

People interested in the Books of Genesis, Exodus and Judges some will embrace mythical Egyptian chronology while others will see the links where Abraham visited Pepi II, Joseph lived in Senusret III reign and Joshua destroyed Jericho in Egyptian king Amenhotep III's reign. Some will uncover the data showing the bible is historically accurate in the time of Abraham, Joseph and Joshua.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You wouldn't believe the kinds of garbage that forum has on it. I provided Biblical passages to show why Catholics believe certain things, and my post was deleted, for promoting "the Cult of Rome." Not to mention that they persist in their erroneous misconceptions of Catholic beliefs. For instance, they insist that Catholics worship Mary. All of them do. Even the former Catholics. A place with members and administrators like that cannot obviously be a reliable source for scholarship and I suggest that everything from that forum be ignored entirely.
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Andrew here is a different forum. Bible chronology from the Exodus to Solomon's Temple destruction with no missing links. The reign of Judah kings are given here with the Biblical reign of years to back the in I Kings and II Kings. I am sure there will be more negative comments about the research for the people commenting here aren't really interested in ancient history when it proves the Bible to be historically accurate.

http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/195173
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Proof is a word that has a definite meaning. These links, they are not proof.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Peter Kirby wrote:Proof is a word that has a definite meaning. These links, they are not proof.
http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/195173 Are the reign of Judah kings a lie? They are explained in 1 Kings & 2 Kings.
I thought this forum was about Biblical history.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

And criticism. Biblical history doesn't mean that we take everything the Bible says at face value, or literally.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

The Bible being true proves that the Bible is true?

Or this forum being a Biblical history forum proves it?

Premises, evidence, deduction, conclusion... Some of the elements typically found in a proof.

What's this proof supposed to be?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Andrew wrote:And criticism. Biblical history doesn't mean that we take everything the Bible says at face value, or literally.

http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/195173 So these Jewish kings never existed?

Lets talk about prophecy now. Ezekiel 36:24 should be not be taken literal? I see the Jews are returning home to Israel just like the prophet Ezekiel has stated. And we should ignore the Ezekiel 38-39 chapter prophecy about Russia even though its now going to absorb the Ukraine into the new Russian empire. I guess that is not to be taken literal either.
Last edited by Tom Skylark on Sat May 03, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The world being created in six days cannot be taken literally. The story of the Great Flood cannot be taken literally. The ages of the patriarchs cannot be taken literally.
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Andrew wrote:The world being created in six days cannot be taken literally. The story of the Great Flood cannot be taken literally. The ages of the patriarchs cannot be taken literally.
Interesting the flood cannot be taken literal even when Japanese mountain climbers found fish fossils on top of mount Everest the highest mountain in the world there was no flood? Wouldn't the waters receding have left those fish fossils on mount Everest? The flood story is told by many different tribal groups throughout our world. In Sumer history, the history of India, American Indian tribes and other people's around the world all have flood stories where few people survived to repopulate the whole world.