Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Tom Skylark

Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Post by Tom Skylark »

Can the Bible reveal the truth about ancient world history? Can the Bible produce the proper sequence in dating artifacts within the realm of Bible chronology? Imagine the impact in the field of archaeology should ancient history be accurately exposed and Egyptian priest Manetho account on ancient Egyptian history will be finally questioned by following the Biblical numbers.

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/apol ... story.html

There is nothing more easy than following the numbers. The door now is open for those who love history to gain new insights and for those who had questions about the Old Testament maybe you will find answers in this report.
semiopen

Re: Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Post by semiopen »

The link states
To uncover the real ancient world history we must believe 430 years transpired from when Abraham and his family left UR until Moses left Egypt with his people in the Exodus when Moses was 80 years old.
Aside from the odd juxtaposition of "real ancient world history" and "we must believe" the 430 years is sort of standard Jewish exegesis. The problem is that it's questionable. It is reminiscent of Scary Movie 3 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306047/quotes
Cindy: Hello?
Tabitha's Voice: [indistinct] Seven days.
Cindy: What? Willie Mays?
Cindy: Who's gay? Hello?
Cindy: What?
Tabitha's Voice: Can you hear me now?
Cindy: Kind of.
Tabitha's Voice: Can you hear me now?
Cindy: Yes. Perfect.
Tabitha's Voice: Seven days.
Cindy: Seven days. Oh, my God. I'm gonna die next Monday?
Tabitha's Voice: Yes. No. Wait. Monday. That would be seven business days. This is seven days starting now.
Cindy: So seven days to this very hour? My watch broke. How am I gonna know the exact hour?
Tabitha's Voice: Forget hours. This day seven days from now.
Cindy: But there's a holiday coming up. Do you count the holiday?
Tabitha's Voice: Well, that depends. What holiday?
Cindy: Martin Luther King Day.
Tabitha's Voice: Then no.
Cindy: Why not? Everybody at work is taking it off.
Tabitha's Voice: Jesus Christ, lady. I'm giving you seven friggin' days. I can come over now and kill the shit out of you if you'd rather have that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GX-tTUisk

I think it must be a sin to give certain Bible verses in Christianity... this is

וַיֹּ֣אמֶר לְאַבְרָ֗ם יָדֹ֙עַ תֵּדַ֜ע כִּי־גֵ֣ר׀ יִהְיֶ֣ה זַרְעֲךָ֗ בְּאֶ֙רֶץ֙ לֹ֣א לָהֶ֔ם וַעֲבָד֖וּם וְעִנּ֣וּ אֹתָ֑ם אַרְבַּ֥ע מֵא֖וֹת שָׁנָֽה׃
And He said to Abram, "Know well that your offspring shall be strangers in a land not theirs, and they shall be enslaved and oppressed four hundred years;
(Gen 15:13 TNK)
The problem being that 400 (presumably Tom's 430) doesn't work out; so why would God make such an outrageous and pointless obfuscation?

I think Christians are divided on this, the majority accept the 400 years in Egypt, Tom's view is more of a minority, presumably made up of more arithmetically minded Christians who actually try to work out the numbers.

Tom spends most of the post discussing Senusret III. I looked up "Senusret III joseph" on google scholar and found a surprising lack of legitimate academic attention to this scenario.

Senusret_III
Khakhaure Senusret III (also written as Senwosret III or Sesostris III) was a pharaoh of Egypt. He ruled from 1878 BC to 1839 BC during a time of great power and prosperity,[1] and was the fifth monarch of the Twelfth Dynasty of the Middle Kingdom.
However Tom gives 1724-1685 B.C... just saying

He also mentions Bahr_Yussef
The Bahr Yussef (Arabic: بحر يوسف‎), which roughly translates from Arabic as "the waterway of Joseph" (but literally "sea", not "river", which would be "Nahr"), is a canal which connects the Nile River with Fayyum in Egypt. In ancient times, it was known as Mer-Wer (the Great Canal). This project was built at the time of Amenemhat III, who was also known as Moeris (similar to Mer-Wer).
Moeris is eerily similar to Moses, more eerily similar to Morris.
The Bahr Yussef is believed by one unconventional religious Egyptologist to have been built under the Israelite patriarch Joseph when he was vizier for Thutmosis III.[1]
Unlike the denizens of raptureforums, I'm not as convinced about the correctness of Tom's analysis.
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

The 430 years was from Abraham leaving UR to the Exodus 1925-1495 B.C. The Septuagint reads for Exodus 12:40 were from the time spent in Canaan & Egypt and Abraham left UR to travel to Canaan but stopped in Haran for 8 years until his father Terah had died to Moses Exodus = 430 years. The 400 years are from Genesis 15:13-16 where the Amorites were powerful as kings for 300 years 1895-1595 B.C. in Babylon and were powerful 1595-1495 B.C. in Syria and Canaan.

Senusret III 1878-1839 B.C. is traditional Egyptian priest Manetho version of Egyptian history. The date changes when one discovers the Abydos kings list when the next king after Amenemhet IV dies is Ahmose and the 13, 14, 16 & 17th dynasties are gone bringing down the date of Senusret III to 1724-1685 B.C. The 15th dynasty represented the Hyksos/Canaanites in (Genesis 47:13-17) whom lived in the reigns of Senusret III, Amenemhet III, Amenemhet IV, queen Sobekneferu and Ahmose reigns. You can believe in Manetho's account of mixing history with myths and legends or find explanations which reveal the Jewish people recorded the truth in ancient history.

Joseph lived in the reign of Thutmose III? 1 Kings 6:1 states the Exodus was 480 years before Solomon's 4th year so while Thutmose III would be the Exodus pharaoh its Moses who lead the Exodus not Joseph.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

This would be very interesting if it wasn't so idiotic.

I quoted Genesis 15:13 for you, what possible benefit is there to quote it again? I'm sorry your Raptureforum post was so sloppy.

Also, it should go without saying that the 480 years in Kings appears because it was a cool number.

There is absolutely no convincing evidence for any of the major possible exodus dates.

Egyyptology is a line of inquiry that typically attracts religious weirdos. The facts are usually so obscure that any kind of nonsense can be mentioned, such as the unattributed drivel you are spouting here about Senusret III. Personally, I'm not even sure what the difference would be but I find no credible source outside of stupid fundie sites that go into this.

Egypt: Senusret III, the 5th King of the 12th Dynasty

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories ... z30b6WjS6E
Senusret III is probably the best attested king of the New Kingdom. He ruled the country for perhaps as long as 37 years as the 5th pharaoh of Egypt's 12th Dynasty from around 1878 until 1841 BC.
Sesostris III -
Sesostris III, (flourished 19th century bce), king of ancient Egypt (reigned 1836–18 bce) of the 12th dynasty (1938–c. 1756 bce), who completely reshaped Egypt’s government and extended his dominion in Nubia, the land immediately south of Egypt.
Why would someone not only bother to calculate this and then actually believe it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchs_(Bible)

has a chart of the differences between Patriarch ages from various versions of the Bible.

The lifetimes given for the Patriarchs in the Book of Genesis are: Adam 930 years, Seth 912, Enos 905, Kenan 910, Mahalalel 895, Jared 962, Enoch 365 (did not die, but was taken away by God), Methuselah 969, Lamech 777, Noah 950.[3] The lifespans given cause problems of chronology for Bible scholars, as the following quotation shows.
"The long lives ascribed to the patriarchs cause remarkable synchronisms and duplications. Adam lived to see the birth of Lamech, the ninth member of the genealogy; Seth lived to see the translation of Enoch and died shortly before the birth of Noah. Noah outlived Abram’s grandfather, Nahor, and died in Abram’s sixtieth year. Shem, Noah’s son, even outlived Abram. He was still alive when Esau and Jacob were born!"
Genealogies_of_Genesis has a table that might be easier to read.
A comparison of the Genesis 5 numbers (Adam through Noah) in the above table shows that the ages when the sons were born plus the remainders equal the totals given in each version, but each version uses different numbers to arrive at these totals. The three versions agree on some of the total ages at death, but many of the other numbers differ by exactly 100. The Septuagint numbers for the ages of the fathers at the birth of their sons, are in many instances 100 greater than the corresponding numbers in the other two versions.
One would think that an intrepid seeker of the truth such as Tom would address that, especially since it involves his favorite subject - arithmetic.

Tom's confidence is also remarkable. There is a guy who claims that the ages of the Patriarchs are derived from seasons, so Abraham was 25 not 100 when Isaac was born. There are also people that say Joseph was Imhotep. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Joseph_was_Imhotep
The idea that the Joseph of the Old Testament was Imhotep is a mixture of the usual "Biblical history" pseudo-historical distortion, with a bit of crossover appeal to the lunatic fringe "Alternative" Egyptology nuts. It's a kind of anti-intellectual, anti-historical supermarket, with something for everyone.
Why did the Masoretes take away 100 (or 50) years from the age of the fathers at their first sons' dates of birth? http://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/q ... fathers-at

Has some more thoughts on the age differences.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I doubt there's much on raptureforums worth discussing here...their apologetics are incredibly lousy, most members there think the strangest things about Catholics, etc.
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Can't chart out Biblical Chronology from the Bible? Am I speaking to atheist here? Where does the research say Joseph was Imhotep? Abraham's lifetime was given at 175 years, Isaac 180 years, Jacob 147 years Joseph 110 years Moses 120 years and Moses was 80 years old at the time of the Exodus which took place 480 years before Solomon's 4th year (1 Kings 6:1) and Solomon's reign in one link was traced all the way down to 586 B.C.E./B.C. being the time for Solomon's temple destruction. What Bible do you read from?

Egyptian priest Manetho gave his account of Egyptian history in 280 B.C.E./B.C. an Egyptian history mixed with little fact and lots of mythology.

I would believe the account of Genesis, Exodus and Judges and there is history to prove the Jews were telling the truth for all those who could find time to research and compare Egyptian history to the Bible.

Jacob's family was in Shechem. (Genesis 34:24-25) Jacob's family left Shechem for Bethel (Genesis 35:1-6) and God terrorized the Amorites in the area around Shechem as the scripture says. At the temple of Karnak, Egypt its recorded Senusret III skirmished with the Canaanites near Shechem and Egyptian accounts say Senusret III annexed Canaan and Genesis 47:13-17 states Joseph managed the economies of both Canaan & Egypt. This is simple reading.

Archaeologist Garstang stated he found Amenhotep III scarabs at Jericho in the graves of people buried at Jericho when Joshua destroyed Jericho and Joshua placed a curse on Jericho Joshua 6:26 and the curse lasted 600 years until Israel king Ahab reigned. (1 Kings 16:30-34) This means Amenhotep III was the last king to trade with Jericho before Jericho was destroyed.

Anyone could look up this history who has the time. The Jews told the truth about ancient world history as the research will show backed by the links.
Last edited by Tom Skylark on Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

This isn't an atheist forum, though atheism and agnosticism are prevalent (I myself am Roman Catholic). I don't have the knowledge or time to figure out if the Bible's chronology is compatible with known history, so I'll leave that for someone else. I can't say if that particular set of research is reliable or accurate, but little else on raptureforums seems to be, so I am skeptical.
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Archaeologist Janine Bourriau worked in Egyptian and discovered the Hyksos/Canaanites 15th dynasty used 12th dynasty Amenemhet-Senusret style pottery and the so-called 13, 14, & 16 & dynasties used 12th dynasty pottery. The kings listed for the 13, 14, & 16th dynasties were likely princes living in the 12th dynasty. She found Thebean pottery in Egypt's delta only related to Seqenenre Tao Ahmose father and Kamose Ahmose brother reign late 17th dynasty yet these two people should have started the 18th dynasty because they were related to Ahmose. Abydos kings list reveals after Amenemhet IV died the next king was Ahmose correctly showing us the 12th dynasty ended and the 18th began. The Hyksos/Canaanites 15th dynasty list are the Hyksos/Canaanites (Genesis 47:13-22) who existed when Joseph secured the land of Egypt for Senusret III and they lived through Senusret III, Amenemhet III, Amenemhet IV, queen Sobeknefru and Ahmose reigns meaning Tao and Kamose were actually the ones bringing down Egypt's 12th prosperous dynasty the reigns of Amenemhet IV & Sobekneferu who were backed up by the Hyksos/Canaanites in this Egyptian civil war. Execration Texts reveal Hyksos Canaanites lived in Egypt during Senusret III's reign.

You can follow the pottery evidence and see the real history of Egypt which has been hidden in mystery or believe the Egyptian children story on when Seqenenre Tao lived in Thebes a hippo roared there waking up Hyksos chieftain king Apepi I some 500 miles away at Avaris which Egyptian scholars say shows the history of Egypt in a children's bogus tale in which started the Egyptian civil war. Amenemhet III scribes wrote the original Rhind Papyrus and Hyksos chieftain Apepi I crowned king after queen Sobekneferu died in his 33rd year recopied the Rhind Papyrus because he knew and cared about Amenemhet III since he lived at the same time Amenemhet III lived, Amenemhet IV, queen Sobekneferu lived and Apepi I died in Thebean Ahmose reign.

Pepi II reign over Egypt is interesting for the Saqqara Egyptian king list shows the next ruler reigning as Thebean Mentuhotep II and Mentuhotep II put an end to the Egyptian civil war which occurred when Pepi II died. The kings listed between Pepi II and Mentuhotep II were bogus and the few having history were nomarch's fighting Mentuhotep II in Egypt's civil war. Apepi II (Khamudi) fights Ahmose and the second Egyptian civil war ends with another Thebean victory as Ahmose of Thebes arises to power shortly before his death and all the land of Egypt (Genesis 47:20) which had become Senusret III's property when Joseph reigned as governor was in Ahmose civil war divided among the Egyptian soldiers whom fought for him. Ahmose was so angry with Joseph having bought the land of Egypt for Senusret III, Ahmose blotted Joseph's name from all Egyptian records. (Exodus 1:8)

Th reason Senusret III reign is not 1878-1839 B.C. is because when one eliminates the reigns of the 13th, 14th, 16th and most of the 17th dynasties since Sequenenre Tao and Kamose actually brought down the 12th dynasty which the Hyksos Canaanites were loyal to archaeologist Janine Bourreau said the Hyksos/Canaanites never burned down Egyptian temples and the research shows along with the Bible the temples were protected when Joseph was alive in Egypt. (Genesis 47:20-22) This civil war started after Joseph had died in Amenemhet IV reign. Taking out the make believe dynasties lowers Senusret III's reign to 1724-1685 B.C.

http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/210562

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/apol ... story.html
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

http://www.setterfield.org/AbrahamSE.html Three quarters down the page its mentioned Abraham visited Pepi II in the last years of Pepi II's reign. Pepi II had trade with Sodom & Gomorrah. Pepi II was plagued (Genesis 12:17) in his last years. This is why the Memphis dynasty fell upon his death.

http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/shechem.htm The Senusret III Shechem connection. Jacob lived in Shechem Genesis 34:25-26 and his sons killed the males in Shechem. Jacob and Jacob's family flees Shechem to Bethel. (Genesis 35:1-6) God terrorized the cities around Shechem where Senusret III fought his war. Senusret III then annexes Canaan and five years later Joseph becomes governor over Egypt at age 30 and controlled the economies of both Canaan & Egypt. (Genesis 47:13-17)

http://www.conservapedia.com/John_Garstang Archaeology shows Amenhotep III's scarabs in the graves of the last people buried after Jericho was destroyed. Egyptian king Amenhotep III was the last king to have trade with Jericho before Joshua destroyed Jericho and Jericho is not mentioned paying tribute in the Tel-Amarna letters because Joshua already destroyed Jericho. Joshua placed a curse upon Jericho (Joshua 6:26) The city was not rebuilt until 600 years later when Israel's king Ahab reigned. (1 Kings 16:30-34) No trade with Egypt for 600 years proves Amenhotep III was the Egyptian king reigning when Joshua destroyed Jericho.

The time from Abraham, Joseph and Joshua have been verified. I hope this makes the research more easy to understand for those who appreciate the Holy Scriptures as the Bible is accurate in both history and prophecy.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Tom Skylark wrote:Can't chart out Biblical Chronology from the Bible? Am I speaking to atheist here?
I guess this just shows your lack of knowledge (dare I say ignorance?).

Actually this forum started off as a spinoff from FRDB (now talkfreethought) when they removed the biblical criticism forum. So in a manner of speaking, it does have sort of an atheistic bent. Maybe a better word would be secular. But probably the best is rational.

There are some people who believe in the literacy of the bible, I can accept that, but when you go on a rational discussion board, a person who believes this and constructs a theory around it is going to run into some ridicule. Personally, one of my worst faults is that I tend to overestimate people and thought that you might be aware of this.

I'm not aware of any scholar outside of redneck divinity schools who would argue that the Patriarchal Narratives give accurate ages. Yet your claim is based on the exact accuracy of their ages. That is just perposterous.
Tom Skylark wrote:Anyone could look up this history who has the time. The Jews told the truth about ancient world history as the research will show backed by the links.
I don't mind discussing things, but can do without patronizing comments. It would be difficult to find a single Jew who would be flattered by this. Even literalist Jews would not look on this with favor... News flash - the Torah was written by Moses and dictated by God and survived unchanged until the present time. Even your bff Yoshke probably agreed with this.

Regarding your anyone can look up this history remark - it's a pain in the ass to look up the history, therefore you generally don't have people engaging you in conversation. You also take a bunch of very low probability views and string them together. Your scenario has less chance of being true than winning the lottery and being hit by lightning on the same day. Therefore one can confidently say that you are full of shit without looking at the history at all.
Tom Skylark wrote:Archaeology shows Amenhotep III's scarabs in the graves of the last people buried after Jericho was destroyed. Egyptian king Amenhotep III was the last king to have trade with Jericho before Joshua destroyed Jericho and Jericho is not mentioned paying tribute in the Tel-Amarna letters because Joshua already destroyed Jericho. Joshua placed a curse upon Jericho (Joshua 6:26) The city was not rebuilt until 600 years later when Israel's king Ahab reigned. (1 Kings 16:30-34) No trade with Egypt for 600 years proves Amenhotep III was the Egyptian king reigning when Joshua destroyed Jericho.
This is the guy that excavated before Kathleen Kenyon - Battle_of_Jericho
n 1990, biblical archaeologist (with a particular focus on Canaanite pottery), and Research Director of the inerrantist Associates for Biblical Research [3] Bryant G. Wood proposed that the pottery recovered during the excavations of Garstang and Kenyon pointed to a destruction date of the city ca. 1400 BC rather than 1550 BC, as concluded by Kenyon.[4] Wood's main argument was that Kenyon's conclusion was based on the expensive, imported Cypriot pottery that was not found at the excavation site and that she ignored the vast amount of local pottery that was recovered. In addition to the ceramic data, Wood appealed to stratigraphy, a scarab series uncovered by Garstang, and a carbon-14 sample of a single charcoal piece found in the destruction debris as further evidence in favor of the later 1400 BC destruction date. Wood's proposal did not settle the debate and he was forced to defend his argument against direct criticism, specifically from Piotr Bienkowski.[5]

In 1995, Kenyon's result was corroborated by radiocarbon tests which dated test samples taken from the site to 1562 BC (plus/minus 38 years) with a certainty of 95%.[6] The specific charcoal sample Wood referenced in his proposition was found to be in error and corrected to 1590 or 1527 +/- 110 BC.[7]
The talk section of the wiki goes into more detail on the arguments by Wood. Wood makes the amusing claim in http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/20 ... richo.aspx
Jericho is just one example of the discrepancy between historical and C14 dates for the second millennium B.C. C14 dates are consistently 100–150 years earlier than historical dates.
The discussion continues in Historicity I - III, then in Removal of Sentence -
To take your last point first, and building also on your latest edit summary, it's simply not valid to cite Garstang and Wood - science is a progress, it doesn't stand still. Garstang was a serious scientist, he tested an earlier finding and found it lacking. Then new methods became available and he (and Albright) asked Kenyon to use them to re-test the data - all this is excellent science. Kenyon's findings overturned Garstang's, and both Garstang and Albright accepted that as a scientific fact. Much later, Wood questioned Kenyon's findings in turn. Then new radiometric tests were made using improved technology, and these tests confirmed Kenyon's findings, or, if you will, answered Wood's queries about Kenyon's conclusions. And that's where things stand today. It's not valid to cite Garstang and Wood as if matters have never advanced.
You make the same error of quoting Garstang. This is actually a compliment to your intelligence, since I'm sure the guy taking that position has much more knowledge than you.

The remainder is also quite interesting, including a discussion of your comment about 1Kings
The biblical chronology is found in 1 Kings, where we're told that the Exodus occurred 480 years before Solomon began the Temple. No date is given for the Temple, but Thiele's work gives us the usually accepted date, and from this we can work out a date for the Exodus (1440 BC) and for the Battle of Jericho (1400 BC). Thiele himself would accept the idea that he might be out a little, but corrections to his work have only shifted those dates very, very fractionally - a matter of a year or so at most. So, for you, you have to ask, do you accept the work of Thiele and other scholars, all based on the idea that the bible's chronology is accurate if correctly understood (same as Hoffmeier)? Or do you think the bible's chronology is just plain wrong?
The other two links in your last post seem too absurd for comment.
Tom Skylark wrote:Where does the research say Joseph was Imhotep?
I've had many discussions with my friend Aris Hobeth, who is a PhD in the subject. However, even he doesn't believe your wacky theory. http://arismhobeth.com
Senusret III - Khakhaure (1878-1841)
Fifth king of the 12th Dynasty. Usually considered to be son of Sesostris II, his is actually the half-brother of Sesostris I, and brother of Sesostris II (Aaron). He is the 'mighty' triplet. He is Sinuhe, who plotted the murder of Amenemhet I. He is the unnamed but known murderer, in the Instructions. He is the 'wretch' for whom the Eloquent Peasant pleads. He is Seth in Horus and Seth (the later version). He is the Shipwrecked Sailor, the wreck being his failed coup plot as Sinuhe. He is Moses.
True, his theory about your buddy seems even more insane, but come on, am I going to believe a Raptureforum denizen or a PhD who has some idea of what he is talking about. Plus Aris believes in Dr. God and is a devout Catholic. We've even had arguments about the Shroud of Turin. Anyway there has to be a door number three.

Aris also proves that Joseph was Imhotep - http://arismhobeth.com/arismhobeth_preface.asp
The first set of matches, famine and flight, involve Joseph and Moses in proper sequence.

Joseph lived to age 110. His large Hebrew family joined him in Egypt and stayed about 430 years. Moses born in Egypt murdered the “Egyptian” at age 40, fled to Midian where he stayed for about 40 years. Then he returned to Egypt to lead the Hebrews at age 80, and died at age 120. (Moses’ brother Aaron died in the same year just before Moses, at age 123.) David and Solomon came about 480 years later completing a span of about a 1000 years.

Joseph lived a long interesting life. Some would say that his story reads so beautifully that it must be a novella, that is fiction. However, the ancient writers must not be held to modern journalistic standards. Just because it reads as a carefully crafted piece does not mean it was merely entertainment. Certainly the Egyptian and Hebrews’ writing standards were high and strict as were the obvious standards concerning the visual arts. The extremely stylized drawings, paintings and sculpture done by the Egyptians conformed to certain conventions but also told about real events and depicted real people even though we know that they didn’t walk around with their heads turned over one shoulder. The Joseph story may have some fictionalized aspects, however the saga, despite being beautifully enhanced, is accurate history. The dialog certainly was not word for word but just as certainly conveyed what happened. Not only was Joseph a real person, he was Imhotep, another famous historic person whose existence not many would doubt.
Deranged? Perhaps, but clearly better than your attempt to work backwards from the semi-random dates of the ages of the Patriarchs.

Another great expert on this period that I've had discussions with is Jim Stinehart. He is the person who claims that the Patriarchs ages are counted in seasons. It's easy to see his posts by googling his name with Hurrians for example. He appears to also be a PhD which makes sense because his knowledge of Genesis is clearly better (maybe about equal :confusedsmiley: ) than mine.

The point is both these guys are clearly more erudite than you, both religious, and both have crazy theories about what was going on back then. If I wanted to believe a crazy theory by a religious guy why wouldn't I pick one of theirs?
Tom Skylark wrote:Archaeologist Janine Bourriau worked in Egyptian and discovered the Hyksos/Canaanites 15th dynasty used 12th dynasty Amenemhet-Senusret style pottery and the so-called 13, 14, & 16 & dynasties used 12th dynasty pottery.
Janine Bourriau is a respected archaeologist who somehow does not merit a wiki, so I'm quite confident that I'll never get one.

Hyksos
The ceramic evidence in the Memphis-Fayum region of Lower Egypt also argues against the presence of new invading foreigners. Janine Bourriau's excavation in Memphis of ceramic material retrieved from Lisht and Dahshur during the Second Intermediate Period shows a continuity of Middle Kingdom ceramic type wares throughout this era. She finds in them no evidence of intrusion of Hyksos-style wares.[33] Bourriau's evidence strongly suggests that the traditional Egyptian view, long espoused by Manetho, that the Hyksos invaded and sacked the Memphite region and imposed their authority there, is fictitious.
I know diddly about Egypt and the Hyksos, but I knew this. It, however, does not mean that your idea of moving the reign of Senusoret III up by a couple of hundred years (for God knows what reason) any more reasonable.
Tom Skylark wrote:This civil war started after Joseph had died in Amenemhet IV reign.
This statement looks ridiculous. Your implication that Janine Bourriau supports this seems libelous.

Amenemhat_IV
Amenemhat IV, or Amenemhet IV was Pharaoh of Egypt, likely ruling between ca. 1815 BC and ca. 1806 BC
His short reign was relatively peaceful and uneventful; several dated expeditions were recorded at the Serabit el-Khadim mines in the Sinai. It was after his death that the gradual decline of the Middle Kingdom is thought to have begun.
Actually there seems to be reasonably good support for Amenemhat IV being Moses.

I guess Egyptology is to Christians what Alcohol is to Indians.