Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Andrew

Re: Can Biblical Numbers Chart Mankind's Ancient History?

Post by Andrew »

When continents collide, mountains get pushed up and what was a valley becomes a mountain peak. The rock that is now at the top of Mount Everest was once submerged, but got pushed up when the Indian subcontinent collided with the Eurasian continent.

No more on that subject in this thread though. If you want to continue this discussion, start a thread for it. I have no desire to start a thread myself because I have already reasoned out the logical impossibility of the Biblical flood story, and I doubt anyone else here even thinks that is worth debating.
Tom Skylark

Post by Tom Skylark »

Peter Kirby wrote:The Bible being true proves that the Bible is true?

Or this forum being a Biblical history forum proves it?

Premises, evidence, deduction, conclusion... Some of the elements typically found in a proof.

What's this proof supposed to be?
Other historical sources show the Bible is historically true.

http://ancient_egypt.enacademic.com/539/Ipuwer Ipuwer Papyrus is the plague of Genesis 12:17 which happened late in Pepi II reign.

http://www.setterfield.org/AbrahamSE.html Setterfield article states Abraham came to Egypt late in Pepi II reign.

The infomation confirms Abraham, Joseph and Joshua in those links existed. When Joseph was in Egypt he served Senusret III and Senusret III's son Amenemhet III completed the waterway Bahr Yusef (Joseph's canal) proving Joseph was in Egypt.

The Haribu (Hebrews) arriving in Canaan during Amenhotep III's reign (Tel-Amarna letters)links Joshua to have destroyed Jericho and Amenhotep III was the last king having trade with Jericho because Amenhotep III scarabs were placed in the graves of people who died at Jericho when Joshua destroyed Jericho and after Amenhotep III's reign no other Egyptian kings reigning later after Amenehotep III died Akenaton and those reigning later their scarabs were not found in Jericho's graves and Amenhotep III's son Akenaton in the Tel-Amarna letters did not receive tribute from Jericho because Jericho was destroyed in Egyptian king Amenhotep III's reign.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Tom Skylark wrote:Andrew here is a different forum. Bible chronology from the Exodus to Solomon's Temple destruction with no missing links. The reign of Judah kings are given here with the Biblical reign of years to back the in I Kings and II Kings. I am sure there will be more negative comments about the research for the people commenting here aren't really interested in ancient history when it proves the Bible to be historically accurate.

http://www.danielpipes.org/comments/195173
I wanted to comment on this forum yesterday but my post was already pretty long.

Daniel_Pipes goes over some of the issues with its politics where maybe it's not the appropriate place to criticize here.

Regarding Tom's posts there, he seems to have at least five different personas.

Lulack Skylark, REX, Tom, Thomas, and Skylark. The threads he gives are essentially limited to these personas having a monologue. Other than being slightly disturbing, I don't see any value to them.
Mental flatliner

Post by Mental flatliner »

[quote="Tom Skylark"]http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/apol ... story.html
[/quote]

"Can the Bible reveal the truth about ancient world history?"
Yes, it can and does, from its own perspective, of course.

"Can the Bible produce the proper sequence in dating artifacts within the realm of Bible chronology?"
No, not any more than any other ancient written document. The writers of the Bible had no such intention; they merely wished to record events of their own time.
(Having said that, the Bible does give dating clues, and those clues, for the most part, can be successfully matched to the archaeological record.)

"Imagine the impact in the field of archaeology should ancient history be accurately exposed..."
Much of ancient history has already been exposed by ancient written sources now numbering more than a million. No need to really wait any longer at your keyboard. Buy some books.

"...and Egyptian priest Manetho account on ancient Egyptian history will be finally questioned by following the Biblical numbers."
The Bible has no such numeric significance. The fact that the Hebrew language uses letters for numbers have lead to many unfortunate theories, not the least of which are the sad attempts at numerology and Bible codes. This tradition can actually be traced to Jewish rabbis and the growth of Kaballah study, but the rabbis had no intent beyond further explaining their own scripture.