Lilith

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
ghost

Lilith

Post by ghost »

This is Lilith according to a MGHOW.

http://rexpatriarch.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... ilith.html
Mental flatliner

Re: Lilith

Post by Mental flatliner »

ghost wrote:This is Lilith according to a MGHOW.

http://rexpatriarch.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... ilith.html
(Why do people discuss Lilith as if she were a real person? Even Jews know she's a part of Midrash, not reality. If she were a real person, they might have considered including her in their scripture. Unanimously, they left her out.)
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Mental flatliner wrote:Why do people discuss Lilith as if she were a real person?
They don't. They lump Lilith with Adam, Eve, and other characters as "not real persons."
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Mental, Catholics are not required to believe that Adam and Eve were real persons, only that there were two humans from whom we are all descended. I don't believe in the Biblical Adam and Eve, Noah, or most of the early patriarchs.
Mental flatliner

Andrew wrote:Mental, Catholics are not required to believe that Adam and Eve were real persons, only that there were two humans from whom we are all descended. I don't believe in the Biblical Adam and Eve, Noah, or most of the early patriarchs.
What is this about "required to believe" ? Do you people live in a world where someone else tells you what to believe?

(Doesn't it strike you as dysfunctional to believe that we're all descended from two people, I assume you mean two real people, but when your own religious text names them you bow out?)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Mental flatliner wrote:
Andrew wrote:Mental, Catholics are not required to believe that Adam and Eve were real persons, only that there were two humans from whom we are all descended. I don't believe in the Biblical Adam and Eve, Noah, or most of the early patriarchs.
What is this about "required to believe" ? Do you people live in a world where someone else tells you what to believe?
If a person doesn't believe a required belief of the Catholic Church, they aren't Catholic. That's all. The Catholic Church allows for individual interpretation in some areas though, and this is one of them.
Mental flatliner wrote: (Doesn't it strike you as dysfunctional to believe that we're all descended from two people, I assume you mean two real people, but when your own religious text names them you bow out?)
Uh, no. The author(s) of Genesis couldn't possibly have known their names or the exact events that happened to them. That doesn't rule out the two people thing.
Mental flatliner

Andrew wrote: Uh, no. The author(s) of Genesis couldn't possibly have known their names or the exact events that happened to them. That doesn't rule out the two people thing.
On what planet do you think you can make a claim like this and get away with it?

Built into your statement are the following assumptions:
1--You know with certainty the origin of Genesis 1
2--You know the authors
3--You know the context and culture of the authors
4--You know the education levels of the authors
5--Enough of the events in the lives of the authors that YOU can discern what they experienced and what they didn't

Would you like to try your response again?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Do you really honestly think that Genesis was written 40,000 years ago, or that its authors knew the events of 40,000 years ago? I don't think so. Note that you make the same assumptions in some of your posts.
Mental flatliner

Andrew wrote:Do you really honestly think that Genesis was written 40,000 years ago, or that its authors knew the events of 40,000 years ago? I don't think so. Note that you make the same assumptions in some of your posts.
This is not what I would call an intellectual response.

Normally, what you would do is make reference to some kind of evidence that your claim is reasonable. You can't duck the subject by attempting to stretch time 34,000 years beyond what the Bible claims. That's known as a strawman argument.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The Biblical account of mankind's origins contradicts archaeological, paleontological, and logical evidence. Do you really think that there were enough people to build the pyramids 2,000 years after mankind's origins? How did Cain build a city and where did his wife come from if he was really only a second-generation human being?