Who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Jayson

Re: Who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Post by Jayson »

I don't think C14 is that terrible.
I'll use it and take it into consideration.

But to the finite range of dates we need, I agree that it doesn't add enough data to determine a more narrow range.

Which brings us back around to the question: what data shall we employ to narrow our range?
John T

Post by John T »

Jayson wrote:I don't think C14 is that terrible. I'll use it and take it into consideration. But to the finite range of dates we need, I agree that it doesn't add enough data to determine a more narrow range. Which brings us back around to the question: what data shall we employ to narrow our range?
May I suggest you look at the time-tested and still the most reliable data available today, that being Epigraphy?

Epigraphy (from the Greek: ἐπιγραφή epi-graphē, literally "on-writing", "inscription"[1]) is the study of inscriptions or epigraphs as writing; it is the science of identifying graphemes, clarifying their meanings, classifying their uses according to dates and cultural contexts, and drawing conclusions about the writing and the writers. Specifically excluded from epigraphy are the historical significance of an epigraph as a document and the artistic value of a literary composition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigraphy

Epigraphy is sort of like models of cars. New styles show up and replace the old ones but to the trained eye you can date them immediately without looking at the vin number. You can also date movies based on the newest cars in the movie.
Changes in hand writing style on the letters made is the same thing as changes in style of car models. The Dead Sea Scrolls can be better dated by Epigraphy than C14 radiocarbon dating.
Got it now?

Sincerely,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Jayson

Post by Jayson »

I'm quite familiar with Epigraphy, I'm sorry for the confusion.
When I asked that question, I was asking us in this thread which we would like to proceed outlining with.

If we want to use Epigraphy, then let's do that.
Do you have an outline of DSS texts by this means which you consider accurate?

Cheers,
Jayson
John T

Post by John T »

Jayson wrote:I'm quite familiar with Epigraphy, I'm sorry for the confusion. When I asked that question, I was asking us in this thread which we would like to proceed outlining with. If we want to use Epigraphy, then let's do that. Do you have an outline of DSS texts by this means which you consider accurate?

Cheers,
Jayson
I want to take a closer look at what the epigraphers have to say about: The Isaiah scroll (1QIsa) and Thanksgiving Scroll (1QHa) compared to the Gabriel Stone.

Paleographic experts believe the Isaiah Scroll (1QIsa) was written between 150-100 B.C. However, the writing format is similar to the Gabriel Stone which was estimated by epigrapher Robert Deutsch and Professor, Israel Knohl to be written around the time of King Herod, or the common era. I would like to review how the date for 1QIsa came about.

I believe the scribes of the Isaiah scroll and the Gabriel stone, came from the same area of the Dead Sea or even perhaps Perea, Jordan. Comparing those two writing styles, I think we will find epigraphy more reliable than C14 radiocarbon dating. Not only that, it will re-enforce the time honored theory that most of the DSS were indeed written at Qumran by the Essenes. From there, it may be possible to figure out with the help of the writings from Josephus just who was the Teacher of Righteousness.

I'm postulating as a hypothesis; that the Teacher of Righteousness lived around the time of Jesus, which would necessitate the Dead Sea Scrolls from cave 1, being much younger than first thought by Geza Vermes and others.

That is not to say I already have all the evidence in front of me but I simply want to explore the possibility. Call it a new found hobby which sprang from the books of Robert Eisenman, James Tabor and others.

It was my hope of finding others (for or against) who have knowledge on this subject on this forum.

Sincerely,
John T
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Jayson

Post by Jayson »

You may enjoy connecting with Brainache over on JREF, for he is exactly on this same interest following the Eisenman trail.

As to Is, Ha and GabStone: Have you made any comparisons yet?
Do you have resources for comparison?
Which criteria do you accept to use to determine that they are not similar, or are similar?

Cheers,
Jayson