yhwh

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
theterminator

yhwh

Post by theterminator »

Genesis 28:20-21:

20Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, 21so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then Yahweh shall be my God.

is yhwh understood here as a proper name for god or understood as an epithet?
outhouse

Re: yhwh

Post by outhouse »

theterminator wrote:

is yhwh understood here as a proper name for god or understood as an epithet?

Yes.

Jacobs god was El not Yahweh

Yahweh was redacted into the text after the monotheistic traditions and reforms of king Josiah.

About the same time they redefined the definition of Elohim
toejam

Post by toejam »

According to Exodus:

Exodus 6:2-3
God also spoke to Moses and said to him, "I am YHWH. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as El Shaddai but by my name ‘YHWH’ I did not make myself known to them."
My study list: https://www.facebook.com/notes/scott-bignell/judeo-christian-origins-bibliography/851830651507208
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

toejam wrote:According to Exodus:

Exodus 6:2-3
God also spoke to Moses and said to him, "I am YHWH. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as El Shaddai but by my name ‘YHWH’ I did not make myself known to them."
Yes redacted into the text.

The early traditions followed two separate deities before the monotheistic redactions gave all Els attributes to Yahweh.

What you are saying is according to the later redactions. That is not how it was originally written in.
bcedaifu

Post by bcedaifu »

outhouse wrote:Yes redacted into the text.
The early traditions followed two separate deities before the monotheistic redactions gave all Els attributes to Yahweh
document?
source?
by "redacted", do you refer to LXX?

How do we know about the tradition of following two separate deities? Is this change to monotheism associated with the Babylon period--in other words, did the redaction take place before or after Alexander, before or after Philo? Since YHWH is one of the sons of El, why wouldn't there be a parallel assignment of duties and identity to YHWH's son, as described in John 10:30 ἐγὼ καὶ ὁ πατὴρ ἕν ἐσμεν?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

bcedaifu wrote: Since YHWH is one of the sons of El, why wouldn't there be a parallel assignment of duties and identity to YHWH's son,

Around war time since they began, Israelites would rally around their warrior god Yahweh, and in peace times go back to Baal Asherah and El. by 800 BC we see Yahwist in some places giving all Els attributes to Yahweh including Els wife Asherah. There was a painting showing this "Yahweh and his Asherah"

The real switch took place shortly before the Babylonian exile knowing they were in deep doo doo. Under King Josiah's reign who was a strict Yahwist, monotheism was born and all books began to show loyalty to Yahweh alone. All redacted to monotheism during these reforms.

This explains it better then I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg