we shall be called with-Chrēstoi and Chrēstians in X

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

GakuseiDon

Re: we shall be called with-Chrēstoi and Chrēstians in X

Post by GakuseiDon »

Peter Kirby wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:35 pmIt's very much not clear that Tertullian is talking about Greek pronunciations.

He could instead be talking about Latin pronunciations, since he's writing in Latin and from Carthage.

I believe Latin "e" and "i" had different phonology in the Latin of the time. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Tertullian does note the etymology, from the Greek, but that doesn't mean that the mispronunciation is noted of Greek speakers.
That's a great point. I wonder then: if Latin users weren't confused between Chrestus/Christus since they sound different, while Greek users were confused between Chrestos/Christos (I assume, not knowing anything about Latin or Greek) whether that influenced the apologetical approaches to those audiences.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: we shall be called with-Chrēstoi and Chrēstians in X

Post by Peter Kirby »

GakuseiDon wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:43 pm
Peter Kirby wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:35 pmIt's very much not clear that Tertullian is talking about Greek pronunciations.

He could instead be talking about Latin pronunciations, since he's writing in Latin and from Carthage.

I believe Latin "e" and "i" had different phonology in the Latin of the time. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Tertullian does note the etymology, from the Greek, but that doesn't mean that the mispronunciation is noted of Greek speakers.
That's a great point. I wonder then: if Latin users weren't confused between Chrestus/Christus since they sound different, while Greek users were confused between Chrestos/Christos (I assume, not knowing anything about Latin or Greek) whether that influenced the apologetical approaches to those audiences.
Tertullian and Lactantius seem to imply that those who are saying it wrong (in Latin) unwittingly testify to the virtues of Christians.

Justin (in Greek) seems to imply somewhat the opposite, that everyone understood the wordplay, because he says it wouldn't be right to release them just because of the name of being Christians*. This wouldn't land if the connection wasn't clear.

...as far as the name with which we are accused goes, we are most gentle people (χρηστότατοι). But we do not think it just to ask to be acquitted on account of the name, if we are convicted as evildoers...

* Or the name of being Chrēstians, if that's what he wrote.