Sophia is Justified by her children

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
theeternaliam

Sophia is Justified by her children

Post by theeternaliam »

I've never heard a good orthodox explanation of this saying of jesus and to me it sounds like a fairly explicit gnostic message. I would be interested in knowing what the original Greek is and whether the word translated as"justified" could also be translated as "redeemed" and if there are any alternate translations in general.

Any thoughts?
Martin Klatt

Re: Sophia is Justified by her children

Post by Martin Klatt »

. . .
Last edited by Martin Klatt on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
theeternaliam

Post by theeternaliam »

Yes that's one layer of meaning. But is that an actual possible translation? Or does Jesus actually say "her children" in that saying?
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Luke 7:35 καὶ ἐδικαιώθη ἡ σοφία ἀπὸ πάντων τῶν τέκνων αὐτῆς. but wisdom is vindicated by all her children.
parallel Matthew 11:19 ...καὶ ἐδικαιώθη ἡ σοφία ἀπὸ τῶν ἔργων αὐτῆς. ...but wisdom is vindicated by her actions.

Andrew Criddle
theeternaliam

Post by theeternaliam »

Could Matthews translation perhaps come from an orthodox perspective then? Might Luke's be the original saying of jesus and inn Matthew later scribes changed it to a more orthodox interpretation of Sophia?
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

theeternaliam wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:20 am Could Matthews translation perhaps come from an orthodox perspective then? Might Luke's be the original saying of jesus and inn Matthew later scribes changed it to a more orthodox interpretation of Sophia?
I tend to agree that Luke has probably the more original saying and that Matthew has modified it.

Andrew Criddle