No, the Tribute Logion is not pauline but marcionite

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

No, the Tribute Logion is not pauline but marcionite

Post by Giuseppe »

It seemed to be in my eyes the more graphic example of Mark's dependance on Paul, but it is not more so. It reveals only the full measure of what the Judaizers were able to do in their folly.

The Logion 100 is the only logion in Gospel of Thomas where the term "god" is named. Only, he is the evil demiurge, not the Good Father of Jesus:

They showed Jesus a gold coin and said to him, "Caesar's agents are exacting taxes from us." He said to them, "Give unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, give unto god the things that are god's, and give unto me that which is mine."

So the sense is: serve and adore the demiurge only apparently, but hate him in secret.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: No, the Tribute Logion is not pauline but marcionite

Post by Giuseppe »

If the external dissimulation (worthy of a Machiavelli) was so openly invoked by this Logion, no wonder that in the earliest phases of the euhemerization of the deity Jesus the Gnostics could so easily confuse themselves with the same Judaizers, confirming again and again the sound truth found by Gandy and Freke.
Last edited by Giuseppe on Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Broken link for "found by Gandy and Freke" in the post above.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Fixed, thanks.